Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K1600 GT reverse gear

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    With the seat high enough to get properly comfortable, retracting undercarriage would make the bike usable and comfortable for anyone regardless of leg length.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Aha, that makes perfect sense.
    No the cam timeing changes and the engine runs backwards. JJH

Have not been on the K1600 forum for a while.

Sounds like there is a problem with the reverse gear. If you turn off in reverse gear the gear box will only allow upwards changes.

BMW have acknowledged the problem and a fix was on the way.

Quite why it needs a thread of its own to describe the blindingly obvious baffles me !

Seriously if you are curious, just borrow one from your dealer for a morning/afternoon.
    A seriously good bike. Just a shame the choice of colours is a smidge weird ... and there are a couple of things that irk .. like the stupid “aerial” and the number 6 plastered everywhere (is it just to impress teenage boys FFS)

Runny eggs and strangers, white lines and unmade beds.
    Only just seen this.

I'm almost certain it is an electrical drive in reverse, not an actual reverse gear. Revs to produce enough electricity.

I can't say I've ever missed reverse gear, and the only time I had ro reverse uphill (on K1200GT) I asked pillion passenger to get off and push!

I love my K1600 but have to admit the new lighter and DCT Gold Wing is starting to look appealing... lighter is a relative term only. It is still quite a lot heavier than the already heavy K1600GT

Shame Kevin Ash is no longer around to describe the technology they implemented.

Quinton ... surely the biggest problem with the Gold Wing (apart from the stupid weight) is the ridiculousness of the pricing structure?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    Only just seen this.

I'm almost certain it is an electrical drive in reverse, not an actual reverse gear. Revs to produce enough electricity.

I can't say I've ever missed reverse gear, and the only time I had ro reverse uphill (on K1200GT) I asked pillion passenger to get off and push!

I love my K1600 but have to admit the new lighter and DCT Gold Wing is starting to look appealing... lighter is a relative term only. It is still quite a lot heavier than the already heavy K1600GT

I am sure I read that it uses the starter motor for the reverse motion

I have not tried a new one but I really have never had an issue with the bike weight maybe I am just more of a man than you

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    I had a very brief go, sitting on a new bike, with the reverse gear. It's initially quite an unerving experience.

Lift the bike to upright, if it's not there already.

Raise the side stand, if it's not already up

Start the engine, if it's not already running

With the bike in neutral, push the button R on the left hand bar. R will appear in the gear position indicator screen

Push the starter button....

Nothing will happen for a moment.... Then the rev's will rise.... that is a bit unnerving at first as it sounds as if the bike is about to speed off.... and the bike will then drive - under engine power, not just on the starter motor- backards at a reasonable pace. Lift your thumb off the starter switch and the bike will stop, the engine still running. Push it again and the rev's rise again and back it goes. Repeat until happy.

The OP sounded as if he was aghast ... “wide-eyed” at the technology... at least some understand it’s electric. It is certainly NOT “engine “ driven as the OP thought ! (Twat )

Quinten and Norfolk Tiger grasp it ....

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    No the cam timeing changes and the engine runs backwards. JJH
    From anyone else I’d see this as attempt at humour ... but I suspect you possibly believe your post !

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    From anyone else I’d see this as attempt at humour ... but I suspect you possibly believe your post !
    Of course not. Everyone knows it’s got a little stinkwheel engine rubbing on the back tyre.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

The bike does NOT drive rearward under engine power ;
    That would be nuts ! And need involvement of the clutch ...

The starter now has “two ends” one for turning the crank in the normal way ..The additional gear on the “other “ end of the starter simply rotates a gear in the transmission.

This only works when the engine is running. The sprag clutch on the engine side will not lock up, because the engine is running faster than the starter gear.

It’s an ingenious method to us the same motor for two
    purposes.

Similar technology is being used in VW cars where the electrics have moved to 48V from 12V.

The starter motor is now powerful enough to drive the car (forwards this time Wapping!! Do keep up ! ) to supplement the petrol engine for extra acceleration or drive the car slowly in cities with no petrol intervention.

Here is a diagram of the system on the K16 .......... http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/...e-1024x706.jpg

Looks like what it is, a horrid bolt on device that shouts out for proper integration. Many owners, including those with the new bagger K1600B, have had problems - it's noisy when actuated, some have got stuck in reverse, some have sheared the gear wheel at the starter, some have found they can't downshift below 3rd gear. The Mothership appear to have addressed the issues, but with the bagger aimed at new conquests in the US, one would have expected better at this pricepoint.

Whilst I haven't tried it personally, I gather it doesn't like reversing the bike up a slope. I suspect the noise comes from over-stressing & so damaging the gears at each end of the flexi-drive - looks like a pinion & crown wheel at the starter & a worm drive to the shaft. Any undue noise & warranty will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by squibb34 View Post
    Here is a diagram of the system on the K16 .......... http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/...e-1024x706.jpg

Looks like what it is, a horrid bolt on device that shouts out for proper integration. Many owners, including those with the new bagger K1600B, have had problems - it's noisy when actuated, some have got stuck in reverse, some have sheared the gear wheel at the starter, some have found they can't downshift below 3rd gear. The Mothership appear to have addressed the issues, but with the bagger aimed at new conquests in the US, one would have expected better at this pricepoint.
    BMW do have a penchant for afterthought ideas. Surely they could have worked out from day one that a reverse gear was going to be needed. Goldwings have had them for years.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Squibb ! Loved the pic on the link !

I agree with your comments.

Ps Maybe Wapping will believe me now they it’s electric motive power not the engine ! .

I won’t hold my breath !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast