Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Insurance options after Adelaide?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I declared every modification made to my bike including the full Remus exhaust and it made no difference to my insurance (GS1200 adventure '07)

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Quote Originally Posted by Franm View Post
    As a result of this thread I contacted Principle today and also as my Carole Nash policy expires on the 15th.
    All went very well initially as the fella in the Irish office took all my details. My bikes are airheads and when asked about modifications I mentioned that my GSPD is twin plugged and has an electronic ignition installed. He noted that and the conversation ended with him saying that he was going to contact the UK office to get a competitive quote. He called me back an hour later and was most apologetic stating that they were refusing to quote due to the dual plug modification. He is familiar with this mod himself and was surprised at their response. Anyway, he said he couldn't do anything for me.

Thoughts anyone?

What is a modification? Fitting a screen? different tyres? or what?
    What would they think of a sidecar? JJH

Quote Originally Posted by Franm View Post
    As a result of this thread I contacted Principle today and also as my Carole Nash policy expires on the 15th.
    All went very well initially as the fella in the Irish office took all my details. My bikes are airheads and when asked about modifications I mentioned that my GSPD is twin plugged and has an electronic ignition installed. He noted that and the conversation ended with him saying that he was going to contact the UK office to get a competitive quote. He called me back an hour later and was most apologetic stating that they were refusing to quote due to the dual plug modification. He is familiar with this mod himself and was surprised at their response. Anyway, he said he couldn't do anything for me.

Thoughts anyone?

What is a modification? Fitting a screen? different tyres? or what?
    You'd have to wonder what goes through the minds of these underwriters, they obviously haven't a clue what they are doing and probably had visions of some mad drag bike setup when they heard about dual plugs.

Comp last year - €423 Principal.

CN had initially quoted €990 comp, dropped to €660 comp when I expressed my amusement.

Principal renewal this year - €386 comp (€300 excess).

CN initial quote this year - €701 (€250 excess), dropped to €379 (€250 excess) when I informed them of Principal's renewal. Some sort of price-match thing, but they insist on proof of competitor's quote.

No answer from MCE after waiting on hold for 5 minutes on three separate calls.

Haven't spoken to AXA yet.

Liberty won't offer me cover because of my profession - apparently a motorbike riding instructor is not on their list of covered professions , even though they acknowledged that I don't use my own bike for work.

Will decide after I speak with MCE & AXA.

Shedi Knight Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    AFAIK,

Axa are the only ones that will insure an Instructor.
    (Which is why i'm still with them)
    Principal are still gathering data and hope to offer it "in the future".
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

just changing the subject a bit,I'm picking up a bike in NI tomorrow so I rang CN to organise temporary cover,the guy told me they do not give temporary cover under any circumstances,if I wanted cover I would have to add the bike to my policy and if I wasnt keeping it I would then have to try to get a part refund from them,he also said I wouldnt be covered to ride it in the north on the uk plate and I would have to get it registered in Ireland within 2 weeks,thats me finished with CN when I get the renewal,his attitude left a lot to be desired tbh

Talk to someone else in CN or get it passed up to the underwriters.

I've had similar over the last few days.

I've arranged to change my van insurance from Zurich to FBD.
    Renewal Aug 8th, (next Tuesday) which is the next working day after today, so expediency was paramount.

Me....Can you put me on cover and I'll provide proof of no claims as soon as I can from Zurich and previous insurer.
    Her....The underwriters won't allow that. I've already discussed it.
    Her, an hour later. That's no problem. Get it to us within 7 days.

The same happened on other issues.

Her....Do you have 5 years no claims on each van.
    Me....I do.
    Her....You've owned each of them for over 5 years then.
    Me..... No, one was replaced last year.
    Her.....So that van doesn't have 5 years NCB!
    Me......Well, between it and it's predecessor, it does.
    Her......That doesn't count.
    Me.......Really?
    Her.....Yeah, we never do, even with private insurance.
    Me......Most people change their cars every three years. Those people never get 5 years NCB then????
    Her....That's right.
    Her (later)......That's no problem. We'll give 5 years on that van as well.

Only one crowd called me back today - Principal. After I told them about CN's €379, Principal came back with €344. Declared my mods (screen, non-original exhaust, locking toolkit cover, auxiliary lights), and that I work as a bike instructor - no problem with any of it.

Phaedrus,
    may i ask, is the Bike you insured the one you use for Instructing?
    If so, you're the first Instructor i know that they cover for use while training.
    Also - while i'm being nosey*
    do you have qualifications other than being an A.D.I? - RoSPA / DIA / IAM etc.
    The point being - does Principal take into account the lesser risk with more "qualifications"?

*feel free to tell me to feck off

The bike in question is expressly not used for instructing - personal use only.

Just ADI doing mostly IBT, and not RoSPA nor IAM yet, but one or both are on my radar, if only to have the qualifs on a CV - achieving the certs has never really meant much to me personally.

Not sure if those qualifs would affect premium as I don't remember them asking, but one would hope/expect any advanced training would reduce a premium - do any of the insurers in Ireland offer discounts for same?

They seemed quite satisfied with my security measures (robust system, multiple approved devices).

Pros and cons ...

The RoSPA DIP. on the CV does help. But it takes a lot of down training to recoup the cost.
    It should lower premium / but IF it does - it wont be by very much.
    Apart from IBT the best work is doing Insurance company Assessments, if you can get on the panel.
    If i can assist - let me know. we can meet / you buy the coffees.
    ~~~
    Marc

Carol Nash rang earlier as I hadn't responded to their letter.
    Me... No, I've had a better quote from Principal.
    Him... Let's see what we can do. How about €475.02
    Me... No, still way off.
    Him... Where do I need to be?
    Me... €200 would be great (tongue in cheek)
    Him... Ok, I'll refer to the UK and call you back.
    Him... How about €284.43

It's like buying a pony at Puck Fair!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
    Carol Nash rang earlier as I hadn't responded to their letter.
    Me... No, I've had a better quote from Principal.
    Him... Let's see what we can do. How about €475.02
    Me... No, still way off.
    Him... Where do I need to be?
    Me... €200 would be great (tongue in cheek)
    Him... Ok, I'll refer to the UK and call you back.
    Him... How about €284.43
    Talk about horse trading
    All they're short of doing is starting the call with "Howya boss!" and if you buy ... what's the phone equivalent of spitting on the palm and shaking your hand?

~~

I hope that we still have a choice as the years go by. If one company forms a monopoly we are bucked.

I've often wondered what they'd say if, when they ask what's the lowest quote I've had, I said "I'm not telling you - this is your one opportunity to get my business: beat my current best (undisclosed) quote and you get my money."

Of them all, it seems CN are the worst pricks for arm-chancing with their first quote. The CN guy I spoke with was sound enough, but my understanding (open to correction?) is that the sales guys make a commission on premiums, so the nonsense first quotes are possibly down to the individual sales guy you get on the phone? If so, CN's phone sales guys need a beating - they're seriously fucking up the biking community's impression of CN...

This race to the bottom with the premiums is a dangerous business. We can rest assured that these low prices won't remain constant. The last thing we want,as previous stated, is someone to reign supreme and end with a monopoly (anyone remember Norwich Union)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast