BaseCamp is shite. Get it off your chest here.

Please, pretty please, tell me how you got your garmin or BMW Nav working with a mac? I am having a prolonged nightmare with my Nav6 and Macbook air. In contrast to your experience, my Nav6 was awful in Spain. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Can't help with the Mac stuff but I am sure Wapping and Co will be along soon to help. But saying the device was awful in Spain has nothing to do with what sort of computer you use. Firstly have you updated the maps and device software? Possible not if you can't make it work with your Mac. Once you have that sorted you can use Basecamp (free dowmnload from Garmin) and connecting your device will show if there are update available. Given that the Garmin maps are reasonable accurate any problems you had are I am afraid likely to be down to operator malfunction. One of the joys of these devices is they can be set up to suit a variety of needs, The downside of that is if your settings don't match your expectations you will find the device does what appears to be very strange things. Mostly this is because you have (unwittingly) told it to do just that! Take a look at all your settings, anything is possible, i had one guy willing to throw his Garmin under a bus because it was "bloody useless" It turned out the device was set to "Off Road" route calculation and was therefore trying to route as near as possible to a straight line, Simply changing that to "Faster Time" solved the problem (and keep me it beer for days)

You can then start to learn how to plot routes in Basecamp, a whole new world of fun!

Good Luck

John

Please, pretty please, tell me how you got your garmin or BMW Nav working with a mac? I am having a prolonged nightmare with my Nav6 and Macbook air. In contrast to your experience, my Nav6 was awful in Spain. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I am happy to help, either by phone or remote computer access. If you are in the north east then face to face (as long as the gas lamps are working)

I have a MacBook Air and have no issues with Basecamp and my Nav V, unless something has changed with the Nav Vi it shouldn't be an issue. Plenty of experience on here to help you

I didn't did anything special. Just used basecamp as it's meant to be used and plugged my Nav into my MacBook. Maps downloaded on the mac. Only problem I get with a mac is it takes ages to recognise the nav is connected. I use a Nav V.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As has been mentioned by someone else- do you have sufficient capacity on your MacBook Air? I am sure it has to be on the native drive, and not on any partition or on SD slot.

Perhaps that is the issue? (It was on my MacBook before I enlarged the principal partition)

Al

Can't help with the Mac stuff but I am sure Wapping and Co will be along soon to help. But saying the device was awful in Spain has nothing to do with what sort of computer you use. Firstly have you updated the maps and device software? Possible not if you can't make it work with your Mac. Once you have that sorted you can use Basecamp (free dowmnload from Garmin) and connecting your device will show if there are update available. Given that the Garmin maps are reasonable accurate any problems you had are I am afraid likely to be down to operator malfunction. One of the joys of these devices is they can be set up to suit a variety of needs, The downside of that is if your settings don't match your expectations you will find the device does what appears to be very strange things. Mostly this is because you have (unwittingly) told it to do just that! Take a look at all your settings, anything is possible, i had one guy willing to throw his Garmin under a bus because it was "bloody useless" It turned out the device was set to "Off Road" route calculation and was therefore trying to route as near as possible to a straight line, Simply changing that to "Faster Time" solved the problem (and keep me it beer for days)

You can then start to learn how to plot routes in Basecamp, a whole new world of fun!

Good Luck

John

Thanks John for your input. In fact it was awful because I wished to use my mac book air to plan routes and it simply wont work with my Nav6. Garmin have been unable to help (mind you they informed me that they don't actually have a Nav 6 in the support dept) . Consequently i used the device trip planning, set to fastest route by the way, and it sent me, my Mrs and our luggage laden RT on an unmade road more than once. Not fun (and not fast) when you only have the choice then to do a two hour detour to get back to a (fast) made up road route. It also crashed numerous times, which is not great when you are riding and wondering which way to turn and when. Wapping is already doing his best on another thread but again no joy yet.

Thanks John for your input. In fact it was awful because I wished to use my mac book air to plan routes and it simply wont work with my Nav6. Garmin have been unable to help (mind you they informed me that they don't actually have a Nav 6 in the support dept) . Consequently i used the device trip planning, set to fastest route by the way, and it sent me, my Mrs and our luggage laden RT on an unmade road more than once. Not fun (and not fast) when you only have the choice then to do a two hour detour to get back to a (fast) made up road route. It also crashed numerous times, which is not great when you are riding and wondering which way to turn and when. Wapping is already doing his best on another thread but again no joy yet.

I always have "avoid unmade roads" ticked. In most of Europe this has worked fine but we did have a few interesting sections of road in Romania. Buttock clenching two up and fully loaded with Pilot road 4 tyres!

John

I've got to say that although I'm very inept with software, after following the available information on this forum, I'm now capable of plotting routes, loading them onto my Nav V and enjoying the trips.

All fairly basic requirements, no doubt, to some. The result is that my Nav V does all I ask of it and has proved to be much more adaptable and flexible than I found my previous TomTom to be.

Difficult is not the word...

is it for real?? click on waypoints along your route that you want to follow...

FFS i can only see about 2 miles of route on the screen at any time ... i'm doing a 300 mile trip ...

so it wants me to click 150 times on a route i dont know??

i thought this fecker planned the route for you if you give it a start and end? location ...

all i get is a crow flies line up the map .... ( i'm not a feckin crow garmin!!!)

all i want is the fastest route from A to B and show me the nearest petrol stations on that route..

Not impressed

FFS i can only see about 2 miles of route on the screen at any time ... i'm doing a 300 mile trip ...

i thought this fecker planned the route for you if you give it a start and end? location ...

all i get is a crow flies line up the map .... ( i'm not a feckin crow garmin!!!)

all i want is the fastest route from A to B and show me the nearest petrol stations on that route..

Not impressed

Its probably the organic interface, that's the problem.

Not impressed

LOL, have felt the same pain Santa but once you suss it it's good. The way I do it is, others may have a different way,

1) Are you plugging the Nav in to the computer when you are trying to do a route, if not do it, should get rid of the crow!

2) Put a way point where you want to start

3) Put a waypoint where you want to finish.

4) Click 'trip Planner' and a box with start and end should pop up.

5) Left hand side of screen you go to bottom box and drag and drop waypoint start into the box where it asks for start waypoint

6) Do the same for the end waypoint

7) Click calculate.

Let us know

Not impressed

I assume that this is some sort of 'wind-up" post. To zoom in or out you p ress the +/- button for God's sake. It isn't rocket science

And then press the 'recalculate button' if you get the straight line.

The term RTFM comes to mind, as you clearly have made no effort to understand what you should be doing. Have you recently complained to BMW that your bike revs like mad, as you have not worked out that you need to change gear?

I assume that this is some sort of 'wind-up" post. To zoom in or out you p ress the +/- button for God's sake. It isn't rocket science

And then press the 'recalculate button' if you get the straight line.

The term RTFM comes to mind, as you clearly have made no effort to understand what you should be doing. Have you recently complained to BMW that your bike revs like mad, as you have not worked out that you need to change gear?

The terms i'd like to respond with are long and varied ;),

but as i'm going to chill this morning i cant be arsed.

No it's not a wind up otherwise i wouldnt have posted.

LOL, have felt the same pain Santa but once you suss it it's good. The way I do it is, others may have a different way,

1) Are you plugging the Nav in to the computer when you are trying to do a route, if not do it, should get rid of the crow!

2) Put a way point where you want to start

3) Put a waypoint where you want to finish.

4) Click 'trip Planner' and a box with start and end should pop up.

5) Left hand side of screen you go to bottom box and drag and drop waypoint start into the box where it asks for start waypoint

6) Do the same for the end waypoint

7) Click calculate.

Let us know

Zumo connected - maps up find my start point.

Go to waypoint and - nothing

The icon is greyed out. all i can do is click and get a search from here box or right click and get pins and measure ??

Aha found the menus were all disabled dont know why - just going through your advice :)

No joy - still crow flies - knew as soon as it started the calculation ( mileage was way off) - so still stuck hmm

Found the routing fault.

The default settings were to avoid every type of road lol

I have a route, which near on matches the one calculated by the zumo

just need to see if i can add waypoints for fuel stops on the way

Santa the best YouTube tutorial I found was this

https://youtu.be/kfZvZXzJI5s

Watch this and then the next 4 he does. Do not skip any or fast forward. Follow and you'll soon get there.

The key, as you have found out is setting it up correctly in the first place, even if you think you have just watch the video

just need to see if i can add waypoints for fuel stops on the way

The Nav 5 has a feature that, whilst en-route, you can call up the nearest petrol stations, choose one and it then gives you the option to add to your current navigation plot... in other words it will take you to the petrol station and then back to your current route.

I found this out when on tour to the Black Forest last year and is excellent.

This is the rant section about BaseCamp, not the bloody help section on how to do things.

I've just wasted another 3 hours of my life trying work out bloody Basecamp, just trying to plan a simple route to Wales from Yorkshire. MyRoute app for me from now.
Basecamp? Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!
I'm off to the fridge for a beer & giving up on the bloody useless bloody Basecamp :mad:

Back
Top Bottom