BaseCamp is shite. Get it off your chest here.

I've just wasted another 3 hours of my life trying work out bloody Basecamp, just trying to plan a simple route to Wales from Yorkshire. MyRoute app for me from now.
Basecamp? Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!
I'm off to the fridge for a beer & giving up on the bloody useless bloody Basecamp :mad:

Found my route app a few weeks ago. Now done a weekend in Wales, and 4 days in France and Belgium. All routes worked with the Nav V, no issues whatsoever, love the app.

My Nav 5 almost spoiled the trip I'm currently on. When I got to France, it decided that it no longer had maps of France, Spain and others. If I hadn't brought my old Garmin as a backup I would have been in big trouble. Fucking piece of shit sometimes compared to Tom Tom.

Hi, how did you sort this issue? it has happened to me twice now. I have updated the NAV, started the trip in UK with no issues then as soon as I come off the Train (France) or the Ferry (Spain) the NAV V has no maps on it. Or shall I say it displays lots of green and very few roads. Tried to reinstall it in the first night on the hotel but no success. Lucky I had an old SD Card with me and that save the day! Have you found a solution? Regards

Hi, how did you sort this issue? it has happened to me twice now. I have updated the NAV, started the trip in UK with no issues then as soon as I come off the Train (France) or the Ferry (Spain) the NAV V has no maps on it. Or shall I say it displays lots of green and very few roads. Tried to reinstall it in the first night on the hotel but no success. Lucky I had an old SD Card with me and that save the day! Have you found a solution? Regards

This section was created for punters to rant, rage, whine and moan, often irationaly. It’s not here to allow bods to ask,”How do I do that, mate?”. See post #59

However (as always) a (possible) answer is out there:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/451212-Nutty-s-Law-aka-Check-before-you-go

Of course it also possible that you are somehow screwing up the installation process or that your SD card is corrupted (or not present) or something else. If so, there are probably posts and threads out there too. Start by opening a fresh thread in the Nav V section.

Thanks! Believe me there was enough moaning and worst when I went through the same as Nutty! Anyway I now found that the SD card (64Gb) is to blame. It takes a 64Gb but only if partition into 2x 32Gb. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found I couldn't look up Polish postcodes on Basecamp. In some cases going to the highest detail and zooming in found the hotel so I could pin it and in other cases I just found the hotel on google maps then zoomed in on both until I could find where the hotel should be on basecamp and pin it. Mind you when booking apartments no matter what I tried the damn things were hardly ever where the address on the booking form said they were, all part of the fun of travel.

Whilst not wishing to incur the wroth of Wappers, should I have missed any pronouncements on the way, I hear Garmin are to stop development of Basecamp.

Instead, it seems they are concentrating on improving their Explore Website - has anyone tried this?

Whilst not wishing to incur the wroth of Wappers, should I have missed any pronouncements on the way, I hear Garmin are to stop development of Basecamp.

Instead, it seems they are concentrating on improving their Explore Website - has anyone tried this?

I've not even heard of it.

I'll read through the link in the morning when the Talisker wears off. As a cynic, I'd suspect planning routes via a website to be a way of looking where I'm going rather than helping me to get there.

Why does Basecamp search suck so badly?

OK, so I am new to this, having just taken delivery of a new zumo XT yesterday.

I have the all Europe map downloaded to my Mac. And I have figured out how to place waypoints, make routes, split them, etc, etc....

But I am fucked if I can figure out how to do a halfway simple search for an address, town or point of interest to narrow down on an area to drop a waypoint.

I may well be doing something wrong, but it seems to be totally. fucking. useless.

For example, it can't even find Guildford. Which is a fair sized town. Unless Guildford is already on the screen in which case I already know where it is. Then it finds loads of businesses and shit that I don't need.

Refine search to "address". Enter "Guildford" in the town field, but no. It wants a street name. What if I don't know the name of any streets in Guildford? I do, but that's not the point.

Refine search to "point of interest" and enter "Sea Lane Cafe" and it gives me the Sea Lane Cafe in Worthing as it should. But I still can't find Guildford as a town. Guildford Tyres via POI - yes. Guildford Tandoori - yes. But using the address option and searching for the town of Guildford? Hopeless.

Search is limited to 500 mile radius from the centre of the screen, so that's not the issue.

I am trying to plan a trip to Reims and want to visit the Cambrai tank museum. Can Basecamp even find Cambrai? Can it fuck. It can find a shopping centre call "something du Cambrai" near Paris, but not the bloody town of Cambrai.

What am I doing wrong? It must be something quite fundamental.....

By the way....the zumo XT finds all these things easily. Basecamp though....

I can find Cambrai easily - provided I tell Basecamp that I'm searching in France. I can also find Guildford in Basecamp - did you enter Guildford in the "City" box in the Find by Address tool?

Have you considered looking for "search" tutorials on Youtube?

I can find Cambrai easily - provided I tell Basecamp that I'm searching in France. I can also find Guildford in Basecamp - did you enter Guildford in the "City" box in the Find by Address tool?

Have you considered looking for "search" tutorials on Youtube?

Well that's a bit strange. I closed it down a couple of times, tried again, same result, tried again and it went a bit mental on startup - had two map windows and no search window. Plus the spinning beachball of death which went on for a few minutes. Then it straightened itself out and now seems normal. And is now able to find towns, villages and cities - but only as POIs. Entering a town name by itself in the "city" field of the "address" option still doesn't like it unless you also specify a road and number.

Bizarre. It's all up to date with latest versions as well and I have a high spec MacBook Pro and superfast broadband.

Still....an improvement at last. Quite why they don't just bite the bulllet and use Google search instead of stupid Yelp and Foursquare is beyond me though.

All in all, an extremely unintuitive and user unfriendly search experience so far.

The only thing I can think of is that previously if you pulled down the "Maps" menu, it showed three listings for "City Navigator Europe" with the XT plugged in. Now it only shows one. Maybe it was a bit confused and has sorted itself out.

I'll keep trying....

I am trying to plan a trip to Reims and want to visit the Cambrai tank museum. Can Basecamp even find Cambrai?

What am I doing wrong? It must be something quite fundamental.....

Search Cambrai, France or Guilford, England.

The latest/last Bascamp is 4.7.1 and was put out to fix (mostly GDPR problems) in 4.7.0
4.6.2 still seems to be the best version.
You can select the one you want here

I also feel that Basecamp is both useless and frustrating when you attempt searches. What I do to get round this is: look up the town, city, address, hotel or whatever in Google earth - it never seems to fail. I then note the co-ordinates and put them into a Find - Locate co-ordinates in Basecamp and it works.

Wappers will be along soon enough. He’s having a lie in today though, too many sherries last night, I imagine.

I’m using MyRoute now. Very intuitive, plot route waypoints by village/town/exact address/post code, or POI Or easy pin drop.
Save MyRoute as a favourite & routes automatically saved. Also save as GPX (other other formats)

That’s the free version, you can pay for an upgraded version, I haven’t had the need

No doubt Basecamp's major shareholder and defender of the faith ;) ;)

will be along shortly to admonish you for for not following some obscure and arcane ritual before starting your extremely complex task.

I like to think of it this way ,

BC has a combination of old age or Alzheimers, some days you can ask it for a location, and its like a greyhound, lithe, sleek and full of vigour

Others it's like rheumy old pensioner, shuffling everywhere in its worn out slippers, going to get each search letter one at a time ;)

The best way i get the search engine to work is to use the postcode function and type one or two letters at a time and just sit and wait for it to go to its

alphabet store and look for the required letters, then when the list of names is compiled printed & published, you can then move onto the next part of the

search operation.

Why else do you think they call it planning an adventure ;)

Back
Top Bottom