BaseCamp is shite. Get it off your chest here.

i'm glad i'm not the only person who thinks basecamp is shite

I don't think it's great but since some kind sole on here gave me some instructions on how to make it work it does what I need.

For me, it isn't logical or intuitive and before I had my printout telling me what to do I hated it.

i'm glad i'm not the only person who thinks basecamp is shite

I used to think the same, there's a thread somewhere. Stick with it and learn to use it, YouTube is your friend and Wapping too, although can be a grumpy fcker sometimes but knows his stuff :D

If you are a Mac user then stick with it, it makes more sense than using no Garmin stuff. If you don't use a Mac then you can try Mapsource, easler to learn and does everything most people need.

John

If you are a Mac user then stick with it, it makes more sense than using no Garmin stuff. If you don't use a Mac then you can try Mapsource, easler to learn and does everything most people need.

John
Hi John. Just got a new computer and only have basecamp. Anyway of finding downloading a copy of map source. Seen a couple of down loads on the net but bit weary of them.

You can download Mapsource from the Garmin website.

You need to install BaseCamp first, then download and install Mapsource. You can then delete BaseCamp or keep it as you see fit.

Learn to use basecamp and it's better than anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As SteveC10 says, its not intuative, but every question I have asked about it on here has been answered helpfully and Im quite happy with it now.

RBW.

Hi John. Just got a new computer and only have basecamp. Anyway of finding downloading a copy of map source. Seen a couple of down loads on the net but bit weary of them.

Hi Ted

As Wapping says you can download Mapsource from Garmin themselves. Don't worry about them saying you need a previous version of Mapsource, if you have Besecamp it will download a full version of Mapsource. Link to site http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209 ( Downoad the 57.05 Mb version)

In my opinion, and for what I need, Mapsource is far better and easier to use than Basecamp. I suspect that the fact that it is still available from Garmin is because many others think so too!

John

I have tried a couple of times to get on with Basecamp but I don't find it as easy to use as Mapsource. So I still create all my new routes using Mapsource

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Nav 5 almost spoiled the trip I'm currently on. When I got to France, it decided that it no longer had maps of France, Spain and others. If I hadn't brought my old Garmin as a backup I would have been in big trouble. Fucking piece of shit sometimes compared to Tom Tom.

The good thing about BC is that it uses the same maps as the Nav V (or VI), so if you're planning a route along specific roads it works.
BUT - Tyre does the same thing as BC and is a damn sight easier to use.
Having said that, I use Basecamp :p

My Nav 5 almost spoiled the trip I'm currently on. When I got to France, it decided that it no longer had maps of France, Spain and others. If I hadn't brought my old Garmin as a backup I would have been in big trouble. Fucking piece of shit sometimes compared to Tom Tom.

Which of course has nothing to do with BaseCamp at all.

I've started a separate thread entitled 'Garmin is shite. Get it off your chest here', just for you.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/459805-Garmin-is-shite-Get-it-off-your-chest-here

The good thing about BC is that it uses the same maps as the Nav V (or VI), so if you're planning a route along specific roads it works.
BUT - Tyre does the same thing as BC and is a damn sight easier to use.
Having said that, I use Basecamp :p

Mapsource also uses the same maps and is easier to use.

John

How were you able to start a thread in my name?

I took your post, which was a moan about your falling foul of Nutty's Law and a subsequent rant about Garmin in general (both issues that you'd somehow confused with BaseCamp) and started a new thread with it, dedicated specifically to Garmin and its doubtless many failings. The how is the magic bit.

Back
Top Bottom