Oil Filter

SteveJF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just doing my first oil/filter change on my R1200GS DOHC (2011). I am using a filter strap wrench and whilst a little tight to get it in there it does fit.

But, the b*gger won't shift! I expected it to be a wee bit tight, but this is ******* tight.

Am I missing something? BMW haven't decided to trick me by using a l/h thread or something?

Thought I'd as for wisdom before applying more pressure!

TIA

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

its a normal thread ..not left handed.... probably the last person over tightened it..... you could do with getting a proper filter tool for it for next time :thumb2

Ah... Now I know. I thought about adding it to my service item list, but why would I need to with a suitable tool... Or so I thought.

Me thinks someone has overtighten using the filter wrench...

The fact its so recessed is the problem... I think some such as K&N come with a nut welded on the filter, which solves the problem

Still not budging. I've even bent my strap wrench!

Looks like I either wait for the filter wrench to arrive from Motorworks, or cut the damn thing off.

Anyone near Faringdon in Oxfordshire got a filter wrench they could come to my aid?

Success!!! Had to take the exhaust off, so I could try a different strap wrench - steel band. But it gave more room for Welly.

A BMW dealership in N Oxford were the last ones to change the filter according to the records that came with the bike.

Success!!! Had to take the exhaust off, so I could try a different strap wrench - steel band. But it gave more room for Welly.

A BMW dealership in N Oxford were the last ones to change the filter according to the records that came with the bike.

Don't forget to check the rubber sealing ring on the old filter has come away with it. Its easy to put the new one on top. DAMHIK.

Today is a check and double check day! The old filter is looking at me now, with it's o ring

Thanks to all

tightening is only something 12nm torque. which barely feels enough and is little more than hand tight once the O ring has squished a bit. Gaan canny as I used to say in geordie.

Today is a check and double check day! The old filter is looking at me now, with it's o ring

Thanks to all

Just double check the block before fitting new filter. wont be the first I'v seen with 2 O rings fitted.

My brother's oil filter was solid. We took off the exhaust and still could not move it. The strap wrench did not have enough space to work, but in any case looked like it might crush the filter body.

It was looking like time to get out the tin snips when I tried a sort of modified screwdriver bodge method.

Drilled a 5mm dia hole though the oil filter cup socket. Fitted the socket (it has to be gently tapped onto the filter), bashed a screwdriver thought the drilled hole and it was enough to stop the filer slipping. Hardly any more mess and no risk of injury trying to cut away the filter case.

Without wishing to sound smug, having the right tool for the job makes the job a lot easier.

I bought the filter removal tool from Nippys years ago and have never had an issue with filter removal.

I believe you can get the same tool cheaper on eBay etc.

Thanks to all

When you put the new filter on make sure you fill the filter with oil and smear the seal to prevent it seizing again :thumb2

The muppet who fitted brother's filter had used a torque wrench. Shame he'd no idea what setting it needed.

Back
Top Bottom