Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 22

Thread: Test ride of Z1000SX

  1. #1
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Redditch, Worcs
    Posts
    6,870

    Test ride of Z1000SX

    I'm thinking of moving the HD XR1200X on so took a Z1000SX out for a test ride courtesy of Cradley Kawasaki.

    With the roads still a bit damp and greasy I set off in low fat mode and traction control set at 2 not at max 3 as the dealer said it gets a bit intrusive. First impressions are of a comfortable riding position and with the screen set at its highest it does a good job. It was very user friendly in Saturday morning traffic and the engine has loads of torque through the rev range and able to trickle around at about 30mph or lower in third without stuttering - in fact at one time I popped it in to 5th at 30mph and it was absolutely fine at about 2k rpm. I have to say it was much smoother than the GSA at those speeds.

    The gearbox is beautifully smooth - gorgeous to use. Out on the open road the fuelling is immaculate, totally linear and smooth, there was never any surprises and it was all totally controllable. The suspension was supple and pliant and the rear shock did a great job on some bumpy corners and the bike never got upset. After about 30 minutes me and my mate stopped for a chat and I did a couple of foot up U turns within the width of three parking bays in the car park - piece of piss, so a decent steering lock. After a 10 minute chat we headed off, as the roads were drying I turned the riding mode up to full fat

    It handles beautifully with just a small amount of pressure required on the bars to get it to turn and it holds a lovely line. The brakes are fantastic, no more than a couple of fingertips are needed and there is not a huge amount of front fork dive.

    We got to a dual carriageway and I gave it some beans revving it up to high in the rev range - holy shit! The world suddenly started going backwards and I developed a rictus grin on my chops.

    Downsides - there is a bit of buzziness in the bars at about 3k revs and the seat feels a bit hard, as a sports tourer I was wondering how my ass would feel after a full day in the saddle.

    All in all a great bike, the power is fantastic but not at all intimidating and controllable, I can see why it is Kawasaki's best seller and the best selling sports tourer on the market.

    Decision to be made now - do I go green for the first time in my biking life?
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

  2. #2
    reading your report says you will be going green you speak more positive about the bike than negative.....

    did you buy it then ?

  3. #3
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Galway Ireland
    Posts
    3,762
    How can you go wrong with a Kawasaki suburb bikes with 100% reliability. It is a great pity the do not make a top spec luxury adventure motorcycle with active suspension and loads of goodies.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    15,699
    Same model that Delboy bought, I think - and enthused over.

    Back to the sports/touring idea of the VFR750/800, R1100s - before the "sports-tourers" - grew to accommodate the luggage and large pillion-arses of the masses...........

    I'm sure it is a cracker, but it is the BMW R1200RS or 1200R that would get into my garage..........

    But - that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla..............

    Good read- your write-up

    Al
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

    See if that works .....

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nearby
    Posts
    573
    They have evolved the Z1000SX over a couple of years now, and I keep meaning to try one as I still believe 'Sports Tourers' are the best bike for me, relatively sensible money too.

    If only they would add cruise, and maybe a quickshifter.

    RBW.
    "The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better" - W1A

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster, England
    Posts
    12,381
    I think Kawasaki are all very heavy I don't know how well they hide the weight but i think at 235KG dry they seem lardy
    Just a Prospect at the moment

  7. #7
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Diss,Norfolk
    Posts
    5,998
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I think Kawasaki are all very heavy I don't know how well they hide the weight but i think at 235KG dry they seem lardy
    Get back in your closet it's not camp enough for you

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster, England
    Posts
    12,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Tiger View Post
    Get back in your closet it's not camp enough for you
    Fuck off
    Just a Prospect at the moment

  9. #9
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Redditch, Worcs
    Posts
    6,870
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    reading your report says you will be going green you speak more positive about the bike than negative.....

    did you buy it then ?
    They don't have any in stock at the moment, they fly out the door. Depends on what they think they can offer on the HD XR1200X and then the haggling will start.

    The R1200RS is a lovely bike also but I already have a boxer twin GSA.
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

  10. #10
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a Remote area apparently.
    Posts
    4,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snooty View Post
    They don't have any in stock at the moment, they fly out the door. Depends on what they think they can offer on the HD XR1200X and then the haggling will start.

    The R1200RS is a lovely bike also but I already have a boxer twin GSA.
    I can heartily recommend these bikes Mike. As you say seat is a wee bit hard but that could be sorted with the addition of a Sargent unit. The 2017 bike comes with a host of upgrades over the 16 plate ones, like LED Haedlights, slipper clutch and a ABS Giro thingy that calculates lean angle when your ABS kicks in in case of emergency and all that. Oh and a gear position thingy in the dash. I definitely made the right choice when i bought my one. However what with my ongoing health problems i may have to end my biking days and sell up all my gear. Good luck and BTW the Candy Burnt Orange is the fastest, and the OEM exhausts are as ugly as feck, thats why i went for the Performance version.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/149269...posted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/149269...posted-public/


  11. #11
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Galway Ireland
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy777 View Post
    I can heartily recommend these bikes Mike. As you say seat is a wee bit hard but that could be sorted with the addition of a Sargent unit. The 2017 bike comes with a host of upgrades over the 16 plate ones, like LED Haedlights, slipper clutch and a ABS Giro thingy that calculates lean angle when your ABS kicks in in case of emergency and all that. Oh and a gear position thingy in the dash. I definitely made the right choice when i bought my one. However what with my ongoing health problems i may have to end my biking days and sell up all my gear. Good luck and BTW the Candy Burnt Orange is the fastest, and the OEM exhausts are as ugly as feck, thats why i went for the Performance version.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/149269...posted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/149269...posted-public/

    Its not green but still lovely. I was up for one of these a couple of years ago but when we sat on one at a show 2 up felt a bit cramped.
    Best of luck with the health thing buddy.

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a Remote area apparently.
    Posts
    4,385
    Quote Originally Posted by patzx12 View Post
    Its not green but still lovely. I was up for one of these a couple of years ago but when we sat on one at a show 2 up felt a bit cramped.
    Best of luck with the health thing buddy.
    Thanks, will have to wait and see specialist in Aberdeen. Thinking its Fibromyalgia.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Redditch, Worcs
    Posts
    6,870
    Cheers Del, I do like the Orange colour. Do the Akros come with the Performance version?
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a Remote area apparently.
    Posts
    4,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snooty View Post
    Cheers Del, I do like the Orange colour. Do the Akros come with the Performance version?
    Yes, along with special tank pad tinted screen and seat cowel. I have the performance tourer which inc panniers and a sat nav mount.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cheshire ....somewhere on my bike
    Posts
    10,612
    Top tip , be careful fitting paddock stand bobbins. I don't know if they've changed it on the newer models but on earlier ones , even if you fitted the official Kawasaki ones, they would foul the exhaust when riding, if you were lucky your exhausts would be badly damaged. If you were really unlucky and hit a decent sized bump or carried a pillion then they would hit the exhausts so hard they would shear the lugs of the swing arm and you'd have to replace it and two damaged pipes .

    The handbook states that although threaded lugs are there for bobbins you shouldn't ride with them fitted .
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

    My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

    My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a Remote area apparently.
    Posts
    4,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Top tip , be careful fitting paddock stand bobbins. I don't know if they've changed it on the newer models but on earlier ones , even if you fitted the official Kawasaki ones, they would foul the exhaust when riding, if you were lucky your exhausts would be badly damaged. If you were really unlucky and hit a decent sized bump or carried a pillion then they would hit the exhausts so hard they would shear the lugs of the swing arm and you'd have to replace it and two damaged pipes .

    The handbook states that although threaded lugs are there for bobbins you shouldn't ride with them fitted .
    Yeah i knew that but i fitted narrow kwak ones and they dont foul the exhausts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"