Thread: What Mac to replace aging MacBook?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

What Mac to replace aging MacBook?

My MacBook is getting on a bit, it's a 2008 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo with 2 GB of memory.
    I cannot run some software and update my IOS due to its age and specification.

Apple have 3 ranges, the MacBook, Air & Pro as well as 2015 and 2017 versions but I would also consider the IMac.

Recommendations please at the cheaper end of the Apple scale

Thanks in advance.

What do you use it for. Would a iPad pro do? JJH

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    What do you use it for. Would a iPad pro do? JJH
    Nothing special, just general use as well editing photos and GoPro videos. I don't need anything high end.

As for the iPad Pro, I've not idea what it's capable of to be honest.

I'm not an expert by any means but the iPad Pro might be worth looking at JJH

I would look at any of the new macbooks if you are just using Final Cut, if its premiere or such, you need more graphics processing power.

I would get a 2013/14 macbook pro. That would do and still be quick.

Any imac is more than capable of your needs.

whatever model you decide on, buy a refurb from the apple store. full guarantee and, generally speaking 2-300 cheaper than new.

I have a 12"macbook, it's a brill travel laptop, v light. would recommend it. It only has one lightning port so you have to swap the charging cable with an adaptor for usb if you want to get photos from a card or hook up a gps. V minor inconvenience and worth it for the light weight and screen quality.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look for a refurb

Does it need to be mobile? If not a big iMac.

If travelling the Air is awesome.

Mobile performance = MacBook Pro.

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    I would look at any of the new macbooks if you are just using Final Cut, if its premiere or such, you need more graphics processing power.

I would get a 2013/14 macbook pro. That would do and still be quick.

Any imac is more than capable of your needs.
    ^^^^This^^^^

I have a 15" 2014 MacBook Pro, it laughs in the face of Premiere, Affinty and Photoshop and is totally OTT for anything else I use it for. Retina screen is nice for photo editing too.

Andres
    Doris doesn't give a fuck...be more like Doris!

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^

I have a 15" 2014 MacBook Pro, it laughs in the face of Premiere, Affinty and Photoshop and is totally OTT for anything else I use it for. Retina screen is nice for photo editing too.

Andres
    Totally agree on that comment. I have a 2015 pro, OTT in every respect for my needs. Far smarter than its user too. But I love using it. Its only when my daughter comes home do I see what its capable of.

For those that turn their noses up at Apple refurb products. Reviews have found that the refurb product is more reliable that the new product. The recon quality standard is superior ! its Apples way of enforcing its image. You also get a good warranty as well.