Advice, Vercors region

tanneman

Incomplete Arse
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

This is on our return and we have allocated 1 day in the Vercors and then another trip through the region the next day on the way to the Morvan. I have the Ride magazine route but I lack the local knowledge of good spots to stop for either sight seeing visits or a picnic. I can of course take it as it comes and experience it my own way. Will probably pass through here in the future so don't have to ride all the roads. Spotted a few roads with spectacular views on Google maps that its not on the Ride mag route but it is not the be all and end all. Thanks in advance.

On second thought Google has a suggestion or 2 but you are welcome to add your knowledge.

Linky: http://www.france-voyage.com/tourism/vercors-regional-nature-park-1517.htm

Just go with the flow. I loved the area - like you, had just a day to explore as a day trip from Grenoble last month. I just interconnected some roads to get to Dié from the north, then took the Col de Menée to get back to the D1075.

The north seems to have loads of narrow gorges which are lovely to ride through. There are picnic parks all over the place so get some food from a boulangerie and just stop for a picnic.

The views from the main Col, Col du Rousset are simply stunning.

I'd like to go back and spend 3-4 days just exploring that area as I didn't see anything on the west side like Col de la Machine

What Wessie said !

I've been through twice now this year from Castellane to Lyon and took in Route Napoleon then cut across to Die,over the Col du Rousset then up to the Col de La Machine/Combe Laval.

I'll definitely stay at the Hotel Col de La Machine one day as it's metres from the stunning view at the top of the Combe Laval and the owner is a top bloke.

67dcf18b35a250e864fcdc54a6d65cfb.png

e67b96c0e4aef5d738c0f57bd6f5d14b.jpg

3c2dc305a9d59c1dca8c5ffaec1c5e60.jpg

Visit La Chapel en Vercors, there's a small but very interesting Musée de la Résistance in the village which explains the local resistance and the German glider attack to clear it, lots of detail and some disturbing photos !
https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Attracti...ux_en_Vercors_Drome_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html

There is a larger Memorial de la Résistance very close by which is also excellent
https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Attracti...ux_en_Vercors_Drome_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html

+1

We recently stayed at the Auberge de la Croix Perrin near Lans en Vercours. In the middle of nowhere, it has recently been taken over by 'Laurent' who has worked all over the world for Accor Hotels (Mercure etc). Very welcoming and trying to build his business up, including bikers. He speaks very good English and the food was excellent. The rooms were comfortable, although they would benefit from some updating, which is on the cards for later in the year. We will be returning to see how the improvements are going on:

http://www.vercors-hotel.com

PS don't be put off by the menu prices, he did us a very reasonable deal for half board.

Brilliant part of France - call in at the Hotel le Marronnier in Rencurel, best biker hotel in the region bar none - Jean Francois and Caroline are the perfect hosts.

Jean Francois rides bikes and knows all the best roads.

+1

We recently stayed at the Auberge de la Croix Perrin near Lans en Vercours. In the middle of nowhere, it has recently been taken over by 'Laurent' who has worked all over the world for Accor Hotels (Mercure etc). Very welcoming and trying to build his business up, including bikers. He speaks very good English and the food was excellent. The rooms were comfortable, although they would benefit from some updating, which is on the cards for later in the year. We will be returning to see how the improvements are going on:

http://www.vercors-hotel.com

PS don't be put off by the menu prices, he did us a very reasonable deal for half board.

What she says :thumb

:beerjug:

Gentlemen (I use the term loosely :D) and lady thank you very much. This place is worth the £12 subs. Using Arsey's recommendation as a guide with wessie and leadfarmer's advice, I combined the route and Resistance memorial with some Google magic to create this https://goo.gl/maps/NUVsTiyyRqm. This will give us some good balcony roads, the overhanging buildings of Pont-en-Royans, Grotte de Coranche and a cheeky spin through Gorges de la Bourne if time allows. If not then there is a shortcut. For accommodation we prefer the camping site mobile home which allows us to make our own food and be undisturbed. The hotel looks ace (thanks Magnet) and wish I knew of it before. I'm still new to this adventure (note the lower case a :green gri) touring thing but hopefully I will be an old hand soon, like Micky :D

Brilliant part of France - call in at the Hotel le Marronnier in Rencurel, best biker hotel in the region bar none - Jean Francois and Caroline are the perfect hosts.

Jean Francois rides bikes and knows all the best roads.

+1 Great Hotel and fantastic staff.

There are not a huge amount of routes, basically it is just a huge mountain with a flat top that no roads go over, but a couple of roads go around it with a few variations possible on smaller roads that cut in closer to the mountain. You can go around the Vercors in a single day, in two days you can go around it both ways and take in a couple of different roads on each circuit. 3-4 days allows for some exploring and sight seeing.

There is a real nice bit of road opposite col de la machine (The D2 I think) which gives a great view across a gorge looking back to the machine, also stop at the top of Roussett and walk to the tunnel, it always has a blast of cold air coming through it (or has on the 4-5 times I have stood there) very handy on a hot day.

It is possible to create a very pleasant route to link the Vercors with the Morvan as well.

If you are approaching from the South, take the road from Nyons through Bourdeaux up to Crest.
We spent 2 weeks camping by the Drome last month. Its an area worth lingering over with a local map. Plenty of campsites. Ours was hosting 70 French Super10 riders in mobile homes and feeding them half board in their restaurant.
Its an area much loved by French and German bikers, and almost undiscovered by us Brits. Many mountain passes and gorges.
We were in our caravan. Will certainly return on the bike.
Hint .... Col de Bataille. A corker.

Before I go to bed. Cheers for the link Richard, will read later. We will be riding one half of the Col de Bataille on the D101. Had a look at the other half, the D199, wow! It is most definitely worth going again to the Vercors to ride a few more roads. There is another spot close to the Ride route that gives an outstanding view across to the south. Linky: https://goo.gl/maps/RxM2dcLdy8r . We are coming across from Gorges Du Verdon through the Baronnies which looks like a cracking place for a ferry route.

I’m hopefully heading back to the Vercors in a week or so and planning to spend a few days based in Rencurel.
I’ve ridden over the Col de Rousset and Combe Laval a few times and spent one night in Rencurel but that’s about my limit of knowledge.
I should have two days off to head off on local ride outs so was doing a bit of research and came up with this :

4a54943c1f68a31aee1ce8fc8fc857f8.jpg

This will take in

1 Gorges de la Bourne
2 Les Grands Goulets
3 Col de la Machine/Combe Laval
4 Route de Presles
5 Gorge du Nan

Has anybody with local knowledge got any recommendations to tweak this route ?

I’ll still have a second day so may just go get lost and see where I end up.

When I leave I’m planning to ride the highlighted part of this route that Wapping shared :

877a6238aafd498b9784389c5105ed47.jpg

This will take me back over the Col de Rousset and then over Mont Ventoux to probably stop over in Nyons.

Don’t think I’ll have time to ride the rest as probably will head back to Brittany after that.

IF you wanted you could bust out into the Alps from Rencurel - various options, might be a fairly long day but possibly worth it. Might also be able to run around Gorge Du Verdon, juty might need some boring main roads to get it done in a day - worth checking out if you could make a nice day trip of it.

How about a day in the Chartreuse area, easily dooable from Rencurel.
Grande Cascade du Cirque de Saint Même is a nice place for a picnic, cafe there as well. Easy enough to walk up to the first waterfall from the carpark.
Use the d520c from Les Échelles or the d520b from Saint-Laurent-du-Pont, or make a loop that uses both.
We were stopping in Aix-les-Bains and went over the Col Du Granier which was good, the whole area is nice and it wasn't busy. (apart from the waterfall.(ignore the 'carpark full' sign)).

IF you wanted you could bust out into the Alps from Rencurel - various options, might be a fairly long day but possibly worth it. Might also be able to run around Gorge Du Verdon, juty might need some boring main roads to get it done in a day - worth checking out if you could make a nice day trip of it.

Ta, but done the Gorge du Verdon to death

How about a day in the Chartreuse area, easily dooable from Rencurel.
Grande Cascade du Cirque de Saint Même is a nice place for a picnic, cafe there as well. Easy enough to walk up to the first waterfall from the carpark.
Use the d520c from Les Échelles or the d520b from Saint-Laurent-du-Pont, or make a loop that uses both.
We were stopping in Aix-les-Bains and went over the Col Du Granier which was good, the whole area is nice and it wasn't busy. (apart from the waterfall.(ignore the 'carpark full' sign)).

Might have a look at that . Ta

Back
Top Bottom