Spoke adjustment.

RickSkye

Reaction score
So, cleaning the front wheel and noticed a loose spoke. No worries, just tighten it up.
Turn the torx adjusting screw/bolt and the whole lot turns. Have a look for somewhere to put a spanner or something, nothing.
Am i supposed to put mole grips on the spoke or something?

If it's the same as the hex head there is a locking grub screw down the centre of the Torx adjuster, it needs to be loosened.

You are right, thanks. Had to get the reading glasses on for that one. And i found an allen key to fit.
Also noticed that the spoke was only loose when the wheel was off the ground. Ie no load on it.

was searching for info on this - my 2016 GSA has one single loose-ish spoke on the front wheel - so i found this thread and realised there was a grub screw - great, its undone - but still, how do you stop the whole spoke turning when trying to nip them up?

It just turns the whole spoke - i had assumed that the rim-end would have a square section - either in the rim, or a flat section so it could be held - but it doesnt.

what do people do?

Bloody hell. I’m not doing that

Seriously am I supposed to use mole grips on the spoke? Has anyone actually done this or do we all just go back to the dealer?

What do you mean about looking at trueing? I can’t imagine there’s a buckle from one single loose spoke?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

called into the dealer to ask advice - turns out you do need to "grab them" with something!

mole grips it is then. doesn't feel right this...

Here's a better video on removal and refit ... less bodge-it!

Also worth noting that if you're checking the spokes with the bike stood on its wheels, with a spoked wheel the hub and weight of the bike hang from the rim above rather than pressing down on the rim below like an alloy wheel ... it's obvious really but not always clear in some peoples minds!

thats even odder - at 2:10 he's tightening the spoke nipple with the t40 bit - but the other end (the rim end) of the spoke is not being held at all? - how is it not just turning the whole spoke?

Im not trying to replace a spoke (at this stage) just trying to tighten one thats in the wheel - but the entire spoke is turning round and i can't grab it tight enough to stop it turning.

Id have thought the part of the spoke that goes through the rim would be square in section - but it isn't - its round - The BMW tech said to wrap something round the spoke and grab it with grips - but this doesnt seem right at all

Back
Top Bottom