Loading Routes

Andy XRV

Reaction score
Hi All,

First of all, hi everyone. :beerjug:

I've recently swapped out my Zumo 660 for a 595. I've been loading routes from tyre travel directly into my old 660 with no trouble and then selecting them from Custom Routes.

However, when doing this with the 595 using the trip planner the 595 only appears to take the way points and then generates its own route from these.

So rather than follow my Tyre route road for road it's taking me all over the place

Any help please peeps?

Check which mode your 595 is in. If it is in motorcycle mode try switching to car mode. I had a similar problem with my 390 in motorcycle mode, it did some very strange routings. You can change modes by pressing and holding the symbol at the top on the start up screen ( one that shows "Where to " and "View map")

John

Load Mapsource or BaseCamp to your home computer, or just load BaseCamp if you own a Mac.

Display the Tyre route on your home computer and see what the route looks like.

If it looks OK, save it, giving the route and its file a name each. If it doesn't, tug the route around until it does and you are happy. Save it.

Send the file or the route to your GPS device.

All should then be well.

PS You'd save yourself a shed load of problems if you started and ended your route creation in Garmin software.

PPS Did you ask Tyre's own helpline / forum for a solution? They should give you one, not least as it's a large part down to them as to why the problem exists.

Cheers for the reply guys, I'll try both suggestions. I really hope that the latest version of BaseCamp is a bit more user friendly than the last version I tried.

I know little to nothing about Tyre. You might though want to check what format you are exporting the route from Tyre in. As far as I know, Tyre allows you to chose the format; if so, try choosing something like .gpx It's also possible that you have somehow only sent the via or shaping points to your device, neglecting perhaps to send the breadcrumb trail of points between them along too.

You might also like to check how many shaping / viapoints you have put into the route you created in Tyre. We see lots of posts where bods create a route in Tyre (or other non-Garmin route creation software) but fail to build it with enough known points (that the route must go through) to help it along. The poor Garmin device then has to guess how to join the very few know places together. The device then either gives up or just joins them up with straight lines. The straight lines problem is sometimes cured by owners then asking the device to perform a route recalculation. This the device may well be able to do but, as it is predicated on the device's ownerner's preference settings (avoiding motorways, seasonal closures, windy roads etc etc etc) whether the recalculated route matches the original route intended is sometimes a bit of a lottery.

This whole thread really is something that the makers of Tyre and their forum users should be helping you with. You used their software to create a route, which your new Garmin device is unable to display properly; they need to help you find out why. If they can't or won't you can draw your own conclusions.

Here's a link to near enough their help page: http://support.tyretotravel.com/support/home

Back
Top Bottom