the dirt on cams please - idiot newby questions

niccapotamus

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
interested in getting one, if only to record bad drivers!

1. what are the cheap and cheerful ones like on ebay - or what's the lowest price point/recommended models?

2. are they generally helmet mounted or do you stick em on the bike somewhere? if so where?

ta muchly

Nick

A1 : No Idea

A2 : As below, in my opinion.

Helmet Cameras

Benefit of Helmet Camera is it see's your Point of View, as your head is usually looking at the subject in the video. Exception being rear ended as you can't see what's going on behind you. Helmet camera's usually have a wired microphone so if you want to 'VLog' or record your chat, these are better.

Downside of Helmet Camera is internal battery life. Its a pain in the ass to swap batteries and worse remembering to charge them in the first place.

Bike Fixed Cameras

Benefit of Bike Fixed Camera's is you can have more of them to record FRONT and REAR footage. Also you can hard wire them onto your bike, so they always have power no matter how long you are out, AND you don't have to remember to charge batteries if you hard wire it. You can also have voice chat if you pair a bluetooth headset.

See my setup thread here for the Garmin Virb XE and Virb X if you want one of the best setups.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/451559-Navigator-VI-and-Garmin-Virb-XE-Camera

Downsides to Bike mounted camera's is security. You need to remember to take them off or lose them.

Getting carried away with the best... DOWNSIDES TO Super HD 4K

It's easy to get carried away with wanting the VERY best video quality and 4K resolution.

But in my experience the file sizes are so massive it'll impact your usability of the footage. Laptop ability to render these massive files, storage costs to keep and maintain Terabytes of files, Download and Upload times to get your footage off your memory cards onto laptop and then uploaded onto YouTube.

I decided that 1080p HD was enough... and that has it's time, storage and upload issues as it is. :thumb2

The biggest pain in the neck with any motorcycle camera's is the time it takes to download, render and upload any footage you want to look at. (next to remembering to charge batteries the day before and reloading fresh batteries regularly while out riding). It was the battery issue that stopped me using my Helmet Camera. It's just to much hassle charging multiple batteries every time you want to go riding, so I switched to hardwired bike mounted camera's

If you just want something to record and is neat and tidy then I would recommend the Drift Stealth. It is £99 and IMHO well worth the price. Small, neat, good battery life, quality footage and will take various sizes of memory cards. Easily attached to the side / top of the helmet or on the bike. You can also get 10% off..... search for Baron Von Grumble YouTube site and he has a code you can enter on the order site for 10% discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you just want something to record and is neat and tidy then I would recommend the Drift Stealth. It is £99 and IMHO well worth the price. Small, neat, good battery life, quality footage and will take various sizes of memory cards. Easily attached to the side / top of the helmet or on the bike. You can also get 10% off..... search for Baron Von Grumble YouTube site and he has a code you can enter on the order site for 10% discount.

That's the Helmet Camera I have and used to use, it is a good one.

Waterproof, helmet microphone, adjustable lens, remote control. Does the job.

That's the Helmet Camera I have and used to use, it is a good one.

Waterproof, helmet microphone, adjustable lens, remote control. Does the job.

The Stealth is the mini version to the Ghost and only has the external mic.

The Stealth is the mini version to the Ghost and only has the external mic.

Oh sorry, yes I've got the Drift HD helmet camera (it's quite a few years old now).

I just had to go into my box of old crap to find it and remind myself what it was. :blast

+1 :thumb

good lord - a degree of agreement on a forum!

thanks folks

Nick

We all agree, all the time on this Forum.

Like one Holy Saint Temple of admiration for one another.

Back
Top Bottom