Basecamp / Mac can't see maps loaded on my Nav 6

Install the maps on your Mac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK. Downloaded basecamp from Garmin's site and reinstalled.
Got this error message;
Alert. There was a problem communicating with the Garmin device.
Path: /Volumes/GARMIN/gpx/CurrentTrackLog.gpx

Once again I can see the nav 6 in basecamp but not the maps.

I'm ready to give up. I don't expect to have this level of hassle with a consumer product. I'm not a technophobe. I own a software company. I am a hasslephobe though and I recon that in my 10 days of Nav6 ownership i've had at least 15 hours of hassle.

Looking at this post I would say that you have an issue with a corrupt gpx or track log file that maybe causing you your problems, and from what i have read by doing a quick search on the net you are not the only one that has had this problem,

Your first port of call would be here, https://support.garmin.com/faqSearc...hbHoAD9G55MIGvJeXeR6?&rand=0.5423163361847401

and your next would be here, https://support.garmin.com/faqSearc...AD9G55MIGvJeXeR6?&rand=0.5423163361847401#Mac

I really do hope this is your problem and that it helps to sort it.

For some reason the above links are not working at this moment, this is what it says,

Mac OS X

The Mac OS X version of BaseCamp only displays the error There was an error communicating with the Garmin device. The error will not indicate if a corrupt file is causing the issue.

First, verify the Garmin device is communicating with Mac applications. Instructions for verifying that the device is communicating properly can be found in Related Content.

this link to verify comunication to the unit.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/PEtKkmDWkF65Y5pC2CbJGA

If the error is still being displayed, delete the GPX, JNX (or BirdsEye), and JPG folders on the device. Because this may delete saved user data, pictures, and BirdsEye images from the Garmin device, first save a copy of these folders to the desktop:

Open Finder
Click Go in the menu bar
Click Computer
Open the Garmin drive
Open the Garmin folder (not all devices require this step)
Click and drag the GPX, JNX (or BirdsEye), and JPG folders to the desktop (This may take a long time if there is a lot of data)
After the folders have been copied to the desktop, move these folders on the Garmin device to the Trash
Empty the Trash

Open BaseCamp to test that the device communicates properly. If the error message does not appear, one or more of these folders contains corrupt data that is causing the error in BaseCamp. To test which folder contains the corrupt data, follow these instructions:

Open the Garmin drive in Finder
Open the Garmin folder (only do this if this was required when originally copying the folders to the desktop)
Click and drag the JPG folder from the desktop to the device
Open BaseCamp

If the communication error shows up, there is a corrupt file in the folder and the contents of this folder should be deleted to resolve the issue.

If the communication error does not appear, this folder does not contain corrupt data and can be kept on the device. Repeat the steps above for the remaining JNX (or BirdsEye) and GPX folders.

Once the corrupt files are removed from the device, the error message will no longer appear in BaseCamp.

If it's a brand new £600 device, still within warranty and it's not commicating properly with your Mac, take it back and get a new one.

If it's a brand new £600 device, still within warranty and it's not commicating properly with your Mac, take it back and get a new one.

No disrespect Richard but if its a corrupt file that is causing the issue such as in a gpx file loaded from somewhere else, or a picture file, this would be no fault of the unit, but it may be easier for the op to just to exchange it.

That may well be the case, indeed. 10-1 says BMW won't check the cause and will just replace the device. Problem solved.

The links i have posted above now appear to be working. as a side note if you try this and it does fix the error, i would advise as others have said to install the maps to your macbook using the latest version of express and then get yourself a good sd card and put it in your nav and install your maps on that.

Which browser are you using? Chrome no longer supports the Garmin Communicator plugin, but it takes a bit of deduction to work that out. Safari works with communicator. Also, are your maps unlocked? If they are locked you'll see the device but no maps. As has been discussed elsewhere, the latest maps are bigger than 4gb and so are sent to your Nav 6 as two files, North and South. If you don't use the latest version of Express the installation doesn't work properly.

Back
Top Bottom