Thread: Toolkits: how much and what?

Shedi Knight Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Toolkits: how much and what?

Contentious issue
    But really: i seem to carry half of the contents of Halfords (Cali 3) around with me and i know it's just wrong.

So, how much is enough and (the hardest bit) what to carry?
    ... oh, and taking it for granted that a puncture kit and spare cables are a given.
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    What i do when I get a new to me bike is go around the nuts and bolts and put a tool kit together in a old tool rool. A multi tool is handy puncture kit tubeless tyers are pereferd and enough spanners to take off a wheel. A little torch/head torch is handy plyers small vicegrip a few bits of wire a bit of duck tape pointy nose plyers. I dont bring a plug wrench, hammer or sets of anything. 1 screwdriver slotted one end and philips the other. Fot when there is tubes involved 2 tyer levers. JJH

Bye the way I dont carry the above every day. Just a puncture kit and multi tool. The rest goes on when I'm touring. Hopefully I'l never need them but I might be able to help someone out. JJH

This is mine and covers most things. nive kreiga toolroll. I also have a pocket plug and go tyre plugger and small compressor

The best screwdriver for motorcycles is the Harley 8 in 1. Great price and made by Snap on cost £20.71 http://www.jerseyh-d.com/PartSearch?search=94669-00

Attached Images Attached Images   

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

RAC card.

I do have a few choice tools as well, but with the over complication of modern machines, whilst very reliable means a lot of tasks are beyond anybody without a laptop. - can't clean out the main jets if they get clogged....

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I don't think the OPs bike suffers from the modern affliction of too much tech! Like most airhead BMs is easily fixed at the side of the road.

On my R100GS I carry the standard tool roll less the tyre levers. Tyre kit comprises a stripped down Ring compressor with a DIN plug, standard BMW tubeless repair kit and a tyre pressure gauge. I have a seperate bag which has a multimeter, long piece of wire with croc clips on either end, crimps of various types, a couple of Scotchloks and some chocolate block. I also have a box wedged into the spare space next to the battery which contains nuts and bolts, cable ties, insulating tape, teflon tape, araldite, super glue, iron wire etc.. I also carry a spare ICU and I would carry a bean can but they're quite expensive even secondhand.

I've owned the bike for 27 years and at one point or another used 90% of the above but never had to have the bike trucked to a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasF View Post
    I don't think the OPs bike suffers from the modern affliction of too much tech! Like most airhead BMs is easily fixed at the side of the road.

On my R100GS I carry the standard tool roll less the tyre levers. Tyre kit comprises a stripped down Ring compressor with a DIN plug, standard BMW tubeless repair kit and a tyre pressure gauge. I have a seperate bag which has a multimeter, long piece of wire with croc clips on either end, crimps of various types, a couple of Scotchloks and some chocolate block. I also have a box wedged into the spare space next to the battery which contains nuts and bolts, cable ties, insulating tape, teflon tape, araldite, super glue, iron wire etc.. I also carry a spare ICU and I would carry a bean can but they're quite expensive even secondhand.

I've owned the bike for 27 years and at one point or another used 90% of the above but never had to have the bike trucked to a garage.
    Chas, isn't an Intensive Care Unit a bit over the top?

Rob,
    Thank you looking at that is Very Helpful. Seems to be as much as is practical / sensible.
    Chas and Edward,
    if anyone needs intensive care, it's Mrs Og - putting up with my annual sort-the-tools-out-before-the annual-tour neurosis.
    Thanks for the replies - especially Rob!

Next up,
    how to fix the broken bit of topbox carrier/Givi luggage set up with a rubber 'bumper' between them, to soften the bounce over bumps.*

*perhaps not helped by the amount of feckin tools in the topbox!
    (actually i've seen two other Cali 3's with the same problem - so it aint just me!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Chas, isn't an Intensive Care Unit a bit over the top?
    I don't know, we're all knocking on a bit - can't be too careful

Anna nother thing,
    i don't carry much electrical stuff, just fuses, bulbs (for France) and 12v test probe with a light.
    Coz i'm awful at diagnosis of electrics - so not much point!
    I'm o.k. at obviously broken things and inventive bodges - so carry lots of little that'll-come-in-handy's, like chemical metal, bits of wire, solderless nipples, gaffer tape, odd nuts and bolts (there's even two chain links - and i've not had a chain driven Bike in years! ) .
    But for sure, i have 'doubles' - too many screwdriver bits / allen key bits / sockets AND ring when one would do. (But WHICH one!!! )
    THAT is what i need to SortF*ckingOut!
    EDIT:
    at least this year i'm not taking the impact driver or battery charger ...

Very boring I know, but I weighed the G/S kit ( as above but with tubes and tyre levers) and it came in at 6kg.

Over weight ...

Quote Originally Posted by ChasF View Post
    Very boring I know, but I weighed the G/S kit ( as above but with tubes and tyre levers) and it came in at 6kg.
    Not boring - when it's bouncing around the topbox.
    I'm trying to find a spot on the Bike i can stash some or all of a tool kit for that very reason.
    A leather bag under the headlamp aint it.

I use a Kriega US10 which has all sorts of fixing clips and loops so can be fitted pretty much anywhere on top of or underneath other luggage.

... I like Ash's suggestion too.

He'd know.