Route suggestions needed.

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Im thinking a about doing four day trip to Wales oner the forthcoming bank holidays weekend.

Now I have been to wales a number of times but mainly was going to Fishguard by car, meaning I was on the M4 most of the way there and some local roads afterwards. Many moons ago I have ventured to Snowdonia via Brecons and once again by car. This time I am going by bike, most likely solo, possibly with my wife (if she can get time of work).

I am looking at starting in Hertfordshire and heading towards Cheltenham where I shall pop in to Cotswold Motorrad for a bit of a nosey and that all important pit stop (aka Coffee stop) here is where I am looking to start (with your help) and to discover some of the best roads and passes that Wales can offer. Essentially I am heading towards north of Wales and wouldn't mind a deviation in to mid Wales or even if it worth stopping at Touratech for another nosey. From north of Wales, I am planning to head towards Peak District and from there back Home. So a bit of a Round Trip without touching motorways (hate them).

Some people have said that "Top Gear Road" (don't know the number of it) is one of the roads every motorcyclist should experience. Anyhow all of your suggestions will be noted and appreciated. Please fire away.

Thank you all in advance.

EV

My favourite part of Wales is the middle bit. I live in Cheltenham, so Mid Wales is a nice day trip. The roads tend to be less busy than Snowdonia.

This will get you to Bala: https://goo.gl/maps/RyfvokFPYcv

A route to Aberaeron via Abergavenny and some lovely scenery: https://goo.gl/maps/BuNBf2Ty46E2
Aberaeron is a nice little town for an overnight in the Brains brewery owned Monachty Arms hotel.

My favourite part of Wales is the middle bit. I live in Cheltenham, so Mid Wales is a nice day trip. The roads tend to be less busy than Snowdonia.

This will get you to Bala: https://goo.gl/maps/RyfvokFPYcv

A route to Aberaeron via Abergavenny and some lovely scenery: https://goo.gl/maps/BuNBf2Ty46E2
Aberaeron is a nice little town for an overnight in the Brains brewery owned Monachty Arms hotel.

Many thanks for the info Wessie.

Route Suggestions

If it were me I would take the A40 to Ross on Wye, Then A49 towards Hereford, after a few miles take a left onto B4521 to Abergavenny. A40 to Crickhowell then B4558 towards Talybont on Usk. from there you can either take B4560 to Brynmawr (A465) or go to Talybont and turn left onto unclassified road which will bring you up to A465. If you want to ride the Top Gear road it is the A4069 from Brynaman to Llangadog, it is good. You could fit Touratech in at Ystradgynlais on the way. You can then head to Llandovery, pick up the A483 towards Llanwrtyd Wells and take a left to Abergwesyn (Devil's staircase) to Tregaron and then B4343 to Devil's Bridge. From there you could go left to Aberystwyth or right on the old Drovers road to Rhayader. After that North Wales is just up the road. Not many bad roads in Wales.

Allan

If it were me I would take the A40 to Ross on Wye, Then A49 towards Hereford, after a few miles take a left onto B4521 to Abergavenny. A40 to Crickhowell then B4558 towards Talybont on Usk. from there you can either take B4560 to Brynmawr (A465) or go to Talybont and turn left onto unclassified road which will bring you up to A465. If you want to ride the Top Gear road it is the A4069 from Brynaman to Llangadog, it is good. You could fit Touratech in at Ystradgynlais on the way. You can then head to Llandovery, pick up the A483 towards Llanwrtyd Wells and take a left to Abergwesyn (Devil's staircase) to Tregaron and then B4343 to Devil's Bridge. From there you could go left to Aberystwyth or right on the old Drovers road to Rhayader. After that North Wales is just up the road. Not many bad roads in Wales.

Allan

Very good!!!!

I'll check these roads when I am at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Wlaes around Bala, Bets y coed, are fab places with amazing roads. The prob lies on a weekend the local police know the power rangers are out playing ,so do lots of undercover riding and driving. Bikes are the main target. Weekends are also heaving with traffic so I can imagine a Bank holiday weekend would be really busy. If you do go though , you will love the area . enjoy

North Wlaes around Bala, Bets y coed, are fab places with amazing roads. The prob lies on a weekend the local police know the power rangers are out playing ,so do lots of undercover riding and driving. Bikes are the main target. Weekends are also heaving with traffic so I can imagine a Bank holiday weekend would be really busy. If you do go though , you will love the area . enjoy

Thank you for the heads up DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom