The GS: the best complete package there is

You are correct The Hyper is far superior to the GS in every respect except weather protection, tank range, comfort, luggage capacity, chain maintenance, motorway cruising, presence, headlights, fuel range indicator, self adjusting suspension, mirrors.........

What have the Romans ever done for us .......

I do love it though ....

And i do like the Blue meanie that you now have it looks good just a shame it isn't very quick

Gay...........

I totally disagree. There is a bike better than the GS and I have it. Its the GSA. JJH

Yes, but is it the BEST GSA ? The 1150 ! ;)
OP obviously happy with his bike. Congrats and long may you so be.

I'm a convert of 14 years and there isn't another bike I'd rather have. Blackal's XR included. I lost the lust for humungous power at about 40 ( rode a blackbird at the time ) and the GS, a bike I wouldn't have been seen dead on suddenly made sense. It still does and it's still my main bike. Faults in 10 years of ownership ? A new fuel pipe connector. Toured Europe, commuted, scratched, picked up two 25kg bags of gravel from b&q yesterday strapped to the pillion seat an 50 mpg all day.

We all have different buttons but on popularity alone it's difficult to argue that the GS doesn't press more of them than anything else out there.

Knowing this site however, someone no doubt will....

I love my Twin Cam GSA... I may have settled down after well over 100 bikes .... but at least 10 of them were GS's ....so I've kept coming back, there must be something about them :rob Haven't tried a WC yet though

I came to a GS rallye from an RT....filtering on this is in a different league . On the GS you are in a more upright position so have a further view of what's happening ahead, compared to being doubled up on a Sportsbike, so the GS is a perfect filtering tool in my opinion

Maybe I am just not used to the width yet.

Maybe I am just not used to the width yet.

It's not so much the width, as your vision that counts. On a sports bike you assess each gap as you get to it; on a GS/A the more upright stance allows you to move your assessment further ahead, therefore making smoother progress. Plus, if you do hit something, you're less likely to do any damage to your bike; raise your vision and use the 'cats whiskers' technique.

It's not so much the width, as your vision that counts. On a sports bike you assess each gap as you get to it; on a GS/A the more upright stance allows you to move your assessment further ahead, therefore making smoother progress. Plus, if you do hit something, you're less likely to do any damage to your bike; raise your vision and use the 'cats whiskers' technique.

For me, the upright position allows you to constantly monitor the gap and position of the vehicle you have just drifted past, while assessing the continuing overtake. On a sports bike you have to make a real effort with your head to check that.

My experience is you immediately start to gel with a bike. It's difficult to try and love one.

I was all set for an XR and had the colour and extras all sorted. During the test ride I could just not get on with it.

Back at the dealer I jumped on a GS and felt immediately better. Before ordering a GSA I decided to try the 1290 KTM. Immediately it was different, lighter, agile, fast with feedback. I didn't understand the controls but that was an attraction.

I knew within 5 miles I was going too buy.

The other bikes that you compared it with; do they have peeling paintwork and corrosion problems, collapsing fork legs, fuel strip failures, final drive failures etc?

Just saying :D

TBH for me the ONLY reason I didn't end up with the latest Explorer was down to the dealer being a twat and Triumphs complete lack of Euro coverage.
For that with the warranty and bonkers cheap leasing it was a no brainer.

The Explorer is a better bike but its not a better package.

I think most people fall into that category, to be honest.........

Al

No, most people choose within their budget. Unless the budget stretches to any bike, finance is the limiting factor. Not everyone wants a PCP contract.

No, most people choose within their budget. Unless the budget stretches to any bike, finance is the limiting factor. Not everyone wants a PCP contract.

Most new bikes are bought on PCP, but that notwithstanding - you narrow down your choices on type of bike, and then attach 'weighting' according to price.

That can often be over-ridden by your heart.

Sorry - you are not special, just the same as most purchasers of KTM/Ducati/BMW/Triumph 'adventure-type' bikes.

I'm a convert of 14 years and there isn't another bike I'd rather have. Blackal's XR included.......

Hey! Don't pick on me! :rob

What I would concede, is that the BMW Boxer LC engine - is a great unit, and in reality (like most bikes, even down in capacity and 'power' to the Tiger 800) - will not be outshone by the (peak) power of the XR. Out of slow bends - most bikes have the torque to make little difference there.

As a load-lugger, the XR seams to take everything my GSA ever did (including the 'beer-run').

To quote a 'BMW sales consultant' - "Most of the people who buy a GS - would actually be better off with an R1200R."

Al :D

I'd have the Caponord or a Multistrada, just so I could find it in the carpark.

I often wonder if the GS sells because it's the best bike or is it still thriving on the C&E bandwagon.

Don't really know what I want from my perfect bike but it certainly wouldn't be the same one as everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom