Iconic No 71 the next 3000 miles

Iver

Reaction score
Have just completed a trip down to lake Annecy in France, with a ride through the Alps to Italy and up to Switzerland. Have to say that any doubts I had about the bike are completely gone. Both me and the wife said that to date, this is the most comfortable bike we've had, and we did do a couple of big mileage days of 340 mile plus, and long days in the mountains with shorter mileage. In the end we managed to pack everything we needed into the panniers and top box, although most of what we took was lightweight summer clothes, and lightweight waterproofs, but still packed to bursting point. I would say that on a similar trip later in the year then you would need to have either a tank bag or one that goes on top of the top box, or cut down on your change of clothes!. Overall the bike returned 51.3 mpg,which was a lot better than I expected, and which surprised my friend on his GSA. We filled up together, and he was always 3-5 litres more than me. I guess that the better consumption is down to the fairing, and what appears to be slightly different gearing. I seemed to be able to pull away smoother and quicker up to 75mph. On the ride down we averaged between 75-80mph on the cruise control, which something I've not had before and I found very useful and quite relaxing. I wouldn't fancy using it on the M25 though.
Any one who has driven abroad knows that continental radio stations are pants, so the I-pod connected up and playing was good up to 55mph, provided it wasn't windy. Once down there we took the panniers off, but kept the top box on, which again made the bike seem a lot lighter, and was perfect for riding in the mountains, very planted on the road, and not quite so top heavy on those hairpins, which the wife is a bit nervous about. The brakes are very good, although I do find them a bit 'wooden' and wish that they would upgrade the lever blade shape to something a bit more modern.
The sat nav seemed to be the weak link in all of it misguiding us on two occasions, however I have always been a map and compass man and new within a few miles that we had been sent the wrong way. In its defence, where it wanted to send us was very direct, but was on an unmade road down the side of the mountain. That aside, all the other instructions for hotels etc, it was bang on. In fact I wish I had used it when we went from Italy to France through the Mont Blanc tunnel, as due to road works taking you off the direct route and up through a small village, all tunnel signs disappeared.
Have now got used to mirrors, and they have improved my riding, still don't like the handlebars, I've always been a Renthal man. But everything else I can't fault, the gauges, controls, fuel, handling etc. Would now buy another one over a GS, and I have always been an off road man. Going up to Scotland next via the Lakes, can't wait.If anyone has any doubts about this bike, then check out the RT track day in South Africa, and the ride on the 952 up from Beaumont in the Alps, but ignore the one of the bloke setting off in the snow,and then dropping it.

How did you manage to get the MPG so low .... cruising at 80mph + everywhere ??

On same bike , in just under 15,000 miles my average is 58.9mpg actual (computer averages about 1 or 2 mpg higher than actual) ... with an all time low of 52.8 !

How did you manage to get the MPG so low .... cruising at 80mph + everywhere ??

On same bike , in just under 15,000 miles my average is 58.9mpg actual (computer averages about 1 or 2 mpg higher than actual) ... with an all time low of 52.8 !

You must ride with a featherlight touch, I couldn't get that downhill with the wind behind me, and no luggage !.I thought that fully loaded, two up I had done well. I do like to pull away and get up to speed quite quickly, so maybe that's the difference. Well done, enjoy your riding.

Have just completed a trip down to lake Annecy in France, with a ride through the Alps to Italy and up to Switzerland. Have to say that any doubts I had about the bike are completely gone. Both me and the wife said that to date, this is the most comfortable bike we've had, and we did do a couple of big mileage days of 340 mile plus, and long days in the mountains with shorter mileage. In the end we managed to pack everything we needed into the panniers and top box, although most of what we took was lightweight summer clothes, and lightweight waterproofs, but still packed to bursting point. I would say that on a similar trip later in the year then you would need to have either a tank bag or one that goes on top of the top box, or cut down on your change of clothes!. Overall the bike returned 51.3 mpg,which was a lot better than I expected, and which surprised my friend on his GSA. We filled up together, and he was always 3-5 litres more than me. I guess that the better consumption is down to the fairing, and what appears to be slightly different gearing. I seemed to be able to pull away smoother and quicker up to 75mph. On the ride down we averaged between 75-80mph on the cruise control, which something I've not had before and I found very useful and quite relaxing. I wouldn't fancy using it on the M25 though.
Any one who has driven abroad knows that continental radio stations are pants, so the I-pod connected up and playing was good up to 55mph, provided it wasn't windy. Once down there we took the panniers off, but kept the top box on, which again made the bike seem a lot lighter, and was perfect for riding in the mountains, very planted on the road, and not quite so top heavy on those hairpins, which the wife is a bit nervous about. The brakes are very good, although I do find them a bit 'wooden' and wish that they would upgrade the lever blade shape to something a bit more modern.
The sat nav seemed to be the weak link in all of it misguiding us on two occasions, however I have always been a map and compass man and new within a few miles that we had been sent the wrong way. In its defence, where it wanted to send us was very direct, but was on an unmade road down the side of the mountain. That aside, all the other instructions for hotels etc, it was bang on. In fact I wish I had used it when we went from Italy to France through the Mont Blanc tunnel, as due to road works taking you off the direct route and up through a small village, all tunnel signs disappeared.
Have now got used to mirrors, and they have improved my riding, still don't like the handlebars, I've always been a Renthal man. But everything else I can't fault, the gauges, controls, fuel, handling etc. Would now buy another one over a GS, and I have always been an off road man. Going up to Scotland next via the Lakes, can't wait.If anyone has any doubts about this bike, then check out the RT track day in South Africa, and the ride on the 952 up from Beaumont in the Alps, but ignore the one of the bloke setting off in the snow,and then dropping it.

A very good summary and your thoughts pretty much match mine. I am amazed how i have bonded with my RT and it is such a great all rounder. i think that it actually has a degree of character, which is something I was not expecting from a modern BMW. Mrs Monty loves it too, which is a bonus.

May you have many more safe, enjoyable trips!

Matt :)

use the Odometer on the bike - you are going to be around 7% out compared to a GPS route.

Back
Top Bottom