Can you reboot Nav VI whilst in the GS cradle?

Boshman

Reaction score
Can the NAV VI be rebooted in the cradle??

I got a NAV VI recently and every few days the Bluetooth connectivity to iphone and packtalk headset completely crawls up its own backside.:mad: The only resolution is to do a reset on the NAV which as the manual states means you have to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, but of course the power button is not accessible when it's in the GS cradle!:blast

This means I have to stop bike, unlock cradle take NAV out, reboot, put Nav back, lock cradle....etc. A right pain in the arse especially as it usually does it 15min into a journey when its pissing down with rain!

Why didn't they just put a reboot button in the menu somewhere??? I really want to like my outrageously expensive new piece of kit but BMW/Garmin are making it hard!:(

I've been using the TomTom App on my iphone for years up until now and it works perfectly! It also calculates routes 10 times faster than the Garmin, Why is the NAV VI so slow at performing its primary function FFS???

Ok rant over. Dare I ask, any sensible suggestions?

My wife has a similar issue with her Nav V and has never figured out how without stopping.

About once every 7 or 8 hundred miles of use her music from the Nav will start to stutter every few seconds. The phone also doesn't work when this starts happening and the Nav directions stutter too. The only solution is to remove the device and reboot it.

If someone knows a better way we're all ears!

Why do Garmin make it 'hard' to reboot?

Well, I guess if they gave it a simple on screen button, bods would push it, "To see what it did, mate' and / or push it (by accident or not) on the move and then moan like fury that it was stupid to make it so.

The second reason why I guess it's 'hard' is that BMW and / or the devices' owners, have locked the brick of plastic into a difficult to release cradle. That is not Garmin's fault. It's down to the bike's design and / or owners' fears that everyone will be out to steal their GPS devices.

What Garmin should do is give up turning what have always been pretty good GPS navigational devices (married to good route plotting software *) into something resembling a home entertainment system, allegedly to enhance the whole 'biker experience'. A lot of bods' problems would then evaporate like dew in the morning sun.

PS Learn to take your GPS device out and to reboot on the move. It will save you time.

* Ooooh, controversial.

OP, downgrade to a NAV V - Garmin seems to have ironed out bugs there.

I've been using my NAV V for the past three years. Always kept the software up to date, have an addon SD Card. HAve also installed USA maps, used for navigation in the EU and USA ... and not once (touch wood, and hope I don't upset the GPS gods), have I had any issue with the GPS.

Similarly on the NAV VI, may help to reset the complete system, load fresh maps and updated software and see where you go from there?

If you're the DIY Adventerous types, can you drill a hole on the cradle to access the button to reboot ? :nenau

As Wapping says - Garmin should stick with GPS devices and that also means that we should use a GPS as a GPS device. For music, use your iOS or Android device.

Ride Safe.

OP, downgrade to a NAV V - Garmin seems to have ironed out bugs there.

I've been using my NAV V for the past three years. Always kept the software up to date, have an addon SD Card. HAve also installed USA maps, used for navigation in the EU and USA ... and not once (touch wood, and hope I don't upset the GPS gods), have I had any issue with the GPS.

Similarly on the NAV VI, may help to reset the complete system, load fresh maps and updated software and see where you go from there?

If you're the DIY Adventerous types, can you drill a hole on the cradle to access the button to reboot ? :nenau

As Wapping says - Garmin should stick with GPS devices and that also means that we should use a GPS as a GPS device. For music, use your iOS or Android device.

Ride Safe.

Going by daesimps post, the Nav V has the exact same issue as the NAV VI. :nenau

If I could use my phone for music and Nav for GPS only. then I would but I don't believe I can attach my headset to the Phone and the Nav at the same time. The NAV has to be the "Hub"

How hard can it be to put a restart button in a menu a few levels down?

If I could use my phone for music and Nav for GPS only. then I would but I don't believe I can attach my headset to the Phone and the Nav at the same time. The NAV has to be the "Hub"
I use a Sena 20s. The phone is paired to the Sena as a phone. I can use it to receive and make calls, voice dial and even use Google Voice recognition to send or read text messages if required. I can also listen to music with it, although only the skip tracks and volume work from the headset.

I have the Nav paired to the phone too, but on the Nav I've switched off the phone calls option. This allows smart link and weather updates etc to work.

I have the Nav paired to the headset as a second phone. This allows music and Nav instructions to be heard, although things get a bit confusing if you play music on the phone and then try on the Nav, or vice versa.

I rarely listen to music to be honest.

The drawback of this arrangement is you don't get caller ID for incoming calls. I can dial by voice, or use the Sena speed dials, for outgoing calls. It's never bothered me though as I rarely receive calls when riding, unless a group member has gone out of intercom range. If I do take a call I make sure that they know I'm riding and only continue the call if it's important and I can pull over safely. I'll usually tell the caller I'll ring them back and then hang up, or just ignore the call completely.

My wife uses the traditional approach of the Nav as a hub as she likes to select music and get caller information on the Nav. Someone has suggested turning off Bluetooth discovery mode on the Nav to stop the issue, but we've not had chance to try it yet. It does seem like a good idea though as she's noticed the issue seems to appear when in towns or near many cars, all areas that may have many Bluetooth devices all chatting away.

If I do take a call I make sure that they know I'm riding and only continue the call if it's important.

Crashing due to engaging in an important telephone call.... that's what's really important.

I use a Sena 20s. The phone is paired to the Sena as a phone. I can use it to receive and make calls, voice dial and even use Google Voice recognition to send or read text messages if required. I can also listen to music with it, although only the skip tracks and volume work from the headset.

I have the Nav paired to the phone too, but on the Nav I've switched off the phone calls option. This allows smart link and weather updates etc to work.

I have the Nav paired to the headset as a second phone. This allows music and Nav instructions to be heard, although things get a bit confusing if you play music on the phone and then try on the Nav, or vice versa.

I rarely listen to music to be honest.

The drawback of this arrangement is you don't get caller ID for incoming calls. I can dial by voice, or use the Sena speed dials, for outgoing calls. It's never bothered me though as I rarely receive calls when riding, unless a group member has gone out of intercom range. If I do take a call I make sure that they know I'm riding and only continue the call if it's important and I can pull over safely. I'll usually tell the caller I'll ring them back and then hang up, or just ignore the call completely.

My wife uses the traditional approach of the Nav as a hub as she likes to select music and get caller information on the Nav. Someone has suggested turning off Bluetooth discovery mode on the Nav to stop the issue, but we've not had chance to try it yet. It does seem like a good idea though as she's noticed the issue seems to appear when in towns or near many cars, all areas that may have many Bluetooth devices all chatting away.

Good info. thanks.:thumb2 Is your phone Iphone or Android? As I understand it Iphone only supports one audio device via BT. I might try headset to iphone and headset to NAV option though. Will also try turning off the BT discovery on the NAV.

Back
Top Bottom