Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bullet Camera

Author, if you look at the previous clip, at 0.20, you can see the plate clearly. This is on a 720 setting. As you’d expect it’s quite a bit clearer on 1080, which I’ve now tried. Note, there’s quite a bit of reduction in quality from the original to the clip I’ve posted (through google drive). There would be no problem in reading plates for a car and a bike travelling in opposite directions at 30 mph, and I would expect that the plate of a car heading directly towards a bike at speed could be read.

Comparing the 1080 quality to the clips I’ve seen of the Innovv, my early (by no means fully formed) thoughts are that they have similar saturation capabilities but that the Innovv has greater clarity, despite its evidently lower refresh rate. Also, there’s much more information being saved, since playback is a larger size. This might also explain the loss of detail when uploading through google drive etc (@MW – no you can’t unsplice the footage, the playback software is even more basic than is usual).

Would I buy the Innovv over the Bike Bro? Well yes, even overlooking the additional advantage of the Bike Bro's small cams and the vibration power unit (not keen on splicing into wires) - mainly because of the larger size of information being packed into each file (allowing larger size viewing on screen) and the impression of greater clarity. I would also note that the gps appears very weak on the Bike Bro – any loss of line of sight e.g. trees, and it seems to fail. (I have, however, read similar about the Innovv?). I did email Nortex on this: disappointingly, no response to date.

Not least, I’d buy the Innovv over the Bike Bro because the Nortex Bike Bro is just a ‘C6’ cam on which Nortex have (or have had) a branded splashscreen attached. Am I allowed to call out rip-offs on this forum? You can pick one up on ebay for 60 quid (without the manual controller, gps, and vibration power unit).

At 60 quid vs the 300 you’d pay for the Innovv after duties, the decision becomes more difficult. If I were after a fit and forget device, I might just plump for the C6, but only because I’ve not convinced from the footage I’ve seen that the Innovv justifies its price tag either. I have a blackvue cam in the car, and despite some criticisms of its video quality, it’s easily superior in daytime image quality to the innov (and of course the C6/Bike Bro) and has additional and/or better quality functionality. Have to say though, been quite impressed by the night footage for the Innovv.

Perhaps at 60 quid, the C6 is worth a swing whilst other cams come onto mkt?

PS: I see that some of the additional components that Nortex are bundling with the C6 are part of this offer, but which would appear to have a better quality processing unit (dual 1080).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chea...05253-VnYZvQVf

I need to update my last post to note that Nortex did I fact respond to my support request, but this had gone into my junk mail box. Indeed, was a very comprehensive and fully supportive response, including offer of immediate replacement of the gps box. So a big plus point if buying the package from them.

The gps is in fact working fine, although the software is a bit limited in that it doesn't appear to allow you to stamp the speed on the video output, but instead only take this from a very crudely performing 'dial' readout on the player.

Further update.

As I suspected on picking up my email, Chris from Nortex is a reader of these forums, and has sent me a very full consideration on aspects of my review, which I feel I need to convey. I'm sure Chris would feel content in my doing so.

Chris has informed that out that the versions of the camera being sold elsewhere are in fact copies/clones of the Bike Bro. In light of this, I must withdraw my comment about the Bike Bro being a 'rebranded' 'rip off', and would like to publicly apologise. Clearly, original equipment involves a significant design and production investment, and which will be factored into price. Chris is also keen to point out that the Bike Bro is available additional hardware and options not available on generic cameras and, importantly, their products are backed by a 12 month warranty and 7 days a week technical support. Also, they stock a full range of spares, and that repairs are carried out in-house at their UK factory.

For my part, I feel quite bad about this, but hope my posts go in some way to acknowledge my wrongs and put the record straight.

Based on this forum topic info. I have ordered a Bike Bro. On balance it seems to meet my needs especially not needing to connect to the can bus system and it's from a UK source. I'll post up after I've installed it and given it a test run.

Quote Originally Posted by alp View Post
    Based on this forum topic info. I have ordered a Bike Bro. On balance it seems to meet my needs especially not needing to connect to the can bus system and it's from a UK source. I'll post up after I've installed it and given it a test run.
    There are certainly things to be commended about the system, such as the vib power pack and the smallness of the cams, and the quality is good enough for the purpose intended. I would additionally note the technical and product support offered. I would also note that the gps now seems to work on most, possibly of my video segments (not sure why this didn't appear to be so at first).

To mention also, Chris tells me that the gps player (video playback software) is due to be released in the near future (he shared a screenshot with me). One aspect being addressed is the analogue/dial type speed indicator (will be digital) although I would still like to see an option to choose to have a mph stamp on the video itself.

Another update. I'd had the unit on and off a few times for various reasons, and upon a re-install last Saturday I found that the unit was firing up but then shutting down. Over the weekend I exchanged few emails with Chris from Nortex and we settled on the possibility being a fault with the wire for the manual controller. (Possibly I bent it on the reinstalls, though not sure). Chris sent out a new controller by first class mail, it was fitted, and solved the issue. Could have lived without the controller I suppose but one its main benefits is the reassurance it gives that the unit has switched on when the engine starts. (Have to say, impressed with the vibration power unit as well).

So first class support from Nortex!

Quote Originally Posted by yofi View Post
    Another update. I'd had the unit on and off a few times for various reasons, and upon a re-install last Saturday I found that the unit was firing up but then shutting down. Over the weekend I exchanged few emails with Chris from Nortex and we settled on the possibility being a fault with the wire for the manual controller. (Possibly I bent it on the reinstalls, though not sure). Chris sent out a new controller by first class mail, it was fitted, and solved the issue. Could have lived without the controller I suppose but one its main benefits is the reassurance it gives that the unit has switched on when the engine starts. (Have to say, impressed with the vibration power unit as well).

So first class support from Nortex!
    All well here also Yofi. Nortek has updated my DVR today to increase the length of individual clips to typically 5 mins on D1 and 3 mins+ on HD. This makes viewing a trip with auto change to the next clip easier on the eye for whole trip viewing. For a dashboard/event camera system it makes a good job of being an action cam system.

Quote Originally Posted by alp View Post
    All well here also Yofi. Nortek has updated my DVR today to increase the length of individual clips to typically 5 mins on D1 and 3 mins+ on HD. This makes viewing a trip with auto change to the next clip easier on the eye for whole trip viewing. For a dashboard/event camera system it makes a good job of being an action cam system.
    Having nobbled my gps cable, Chris from Nortek has just sent out a replacement free of charge, and with postage paid! Following an email discussion, he's also had his engineer send me a specially prepared firmware update to increase the g-sensitivity threshold (I wanted to reduce the number of events being captured by road shocks/high speeds). Never known customer service like it!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill Elston View Post
    A word of warning from my experience... have a hot air gun handy. In their wisdom, BMW see fit to drive the bolts in at about 4K foot/pounds with half a hundredweight of thread-lock paste on them. I BROKE two T40 sockets trying to get them out before I was advised to warm the bolts with a heat gun if they wouldn't loosen..
    I did the same!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123