Bike stolen in Edinburgh

Is it your bike Blackal, if so I feel for your loss, these lowlife scum need castrating

I just cant figure this out, is the first thing hot wiring or doing something to the ign barrel, because once he is on the lights are on indicating the engines running? How have they starting it so quickly?

Is there nowhere safe from these lowlife?

Not mine, no - just re-posted.

Seems to have it running rather fast, I'll admit.

Candlemaker Row? Other bikes have been nicked from there. Chain or u lock is essential if leaving a bike for even 5 mins.

You really shouldn't be able to steal a modern motorcycle this quickly in a busy street with no-one even noticing anything is wrong. At the very least, anyone starting and taking a bike without the keys really should look like they're doing something suspicious! Leaving aside the lack of other security, how can it be acceptable for a manufacturer to produce a bike that is so easy to start without the key? So bloomin' easily that passers by can't even tell!

QUOTE=Sea Dog;4797800]You really shouldn't be able to steal a modern motorcycle this quickly in a busy street with no-one even noticing anything is wrong. At the very least, anyone starting and taking a bike without the keys really should look like they're doing something suspicious! Leaving aside the lack of other security, how can it be acceptable for a manufacturer to produce a bike that is so easy to start without the key? So bloomin' easily that passers by can't even tell![/QUOTE]

what do you recommend?

QUOTE=Sea Dog;4797800]You really shouldn't be able to steal a modern motorcycle this quickly in a busy street with no-one even noticing anything is wrong. At the very least, anyone starting and taking a bike without the keys really should look like they're doing something suspicious! Leaving aside the lack of other security, how can it be acceptable for a manufacturer to produce a bike that is so easy to start without the key? So bloomin' easily that passers by can't even tell!

what do you recommend?[/QUOTE]

High quality factory fit alarm AND immobiliser as standard . Stronger better design of steering lock? Some other security device that can ne used to either lock the brakes I'm so it can't be pushed or some sort of "built in" disc lock that can easily locked using the same key as he ignition . How about a retractable cabe lock that could be built into the subframe ?

All of these could obviously be defeated given enough time and tools but that's not the point is it . Manufacturers need to step up like the car manufacturers did when car crime reached unacceptable levels.

Always liked the idea on the Kawasaki z1100 shaft drive tourer in the late 70's where the bikes centre stand could be locked down , bit difficult riding a 240 kgs bike away with the centre stand down.

Perfect for a GSA

what do you recommend?

You want ME to design motorcycle security? I am a Chartered Engineer, but I'd have thought the major motorcycle manufacturers would have had their own. Personally, I'd see it more as their responsibility than their customers. I was merely pointing out that that responsibility isn't readily apparent in this particular video. I'm surprised anyone with a motorcycle wouldn't be disappointed to see the speed and ease with which this machine was riden off under its own power.

I was thinking keys, but it looks like he sticks what is a tool in his left hand pocket after the light goes on

I was speaking to a policeman relative yesterday about bike theft, and he reckons that most of the little buggers responsible for stealing bikes are currently locked up!
So it might be a wee bit safer in Edinburgh for parked up bikes for a wee while.

I was speaking to a policeman relative yesterday about bike theft, and he reckons that most of the little buggers responsible for stealing bikes are currently locked up!
So it might be a wee bit safer in Edinburgh for parked up bikes for a wee while.

There were two stolen last week as far as I know.

Al

Back
Top Bottom