Thread: Benelli 504 & Benelli 654 advice to buy please

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Benelli 504 & Benelli 654 advice to buy please

Hi all, I know there are some classic bike fans out there so maybe you can give me a bit of help.
    I know someone with both a Benelli 504 sport and a 654 sport who might be selling both in original spec but not running for some time.
    I've tried reading up on both but get little advice other than the 504 rotting in UK weather but not an issue for summer riding and probably the 654 was the better bike but less desirable now even though both aren't Ducati or Moto Guzzi level of appeal.
    I really don't want both but as I seem to only have twins at the moment then thought a 4 might be a change.
    Is there any one with any knowledge of either or both.
    I might get something from the Benelli forum but then it might also be bias.
    Many thanks
    G

They are rare so well worth taking both. Original issues were electrics and paint so expect some rust.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C877946

Marzocchi shocks were usually rock hard so you might want to fit some Hagons for actually riding it.

Here's one for the pension fund
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C880494
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Conversely, I don't see them being a sensible buy if you are looking for them to appreciate in value. If you want something to ride to a bike meet and probably never park next to another then I can see the appeal.

I had a long test ride on a 654 when they were new. I was riding a Honda 350K4 at the time and found the Benelli to be dog slow. They were exotic and pretty cool looking (as I remember it), and I was quite keen on the idea of having one, so I was very disappointed. They weren't good bikes in their day (imho) which probably accounts for their rarity.