Comfort

sbell

Reaction score
Would r1200r riders describe the riding position as comfortable for a 6ft 1ins old git with a dodgy back. Ive tried a number of bikes since I had a spinal op a couple of years ago and I feel too cramped. The r1200r or even the r850r comfort model look as though they could be comfy enough but would like to hear what you guys think.

Hi. Have a GS and my wife has an R both the pre watercooled. All depends on inside leg length! I'm 6' 1" have 33"inseam. The R has bar raisers think 20mm, good but find my legs too bent for longer than 1hour ride, lowered pegs would sort it out I'm sure.My wife is 5'8" so she finds it just right. I lean slightly forward on the R so takes some of the strain. On the GS I find it more upright so some strain on back, but not much easy do a tank full. Also less bend in my legs. Have you tried going down the dealers and have a sit on a couple of bikes?

I found it too cramped, 31 insl, a shame really as it's a great ride.

I am 6 ft and with risers I found it comfortable for my back on my 1200 R pre WC .
I am finding it a bit cramped in the leg length after a few hours in the saddle making my left hip ache. Hence mine is reluctantly up for sale.
Very underrated bikes,you need to ride one for at least a hour to see it fits you.
As some has said a lower foot peg kit may sort it,

The 850/1150,s have even less leg length.

I found it too cramped, 31 insl, a shame really as it's a great ride.
That doesn't surprise. I'm 5'10" but with a mere 28" inside leg, and the leg position on my 2015 bike is just right.

I'd prefer higher bars to allow me to sit a little more upright though

I am 6 ft and with risers I found it comfortable for my back on my 1200 R pre WC .
I am finding it a bit cramped in the leg length after a few hours in the saddle making my left hip ache. Hence mine is reluctantly up for sale.
Very underrated bikes,you need to ride one for at least a hour to see it fits you.
As some has said a lower foot peg kit may sort it,

The 850/1150,s have even less leg length.

So what year and model is your bike ? Sounds like a set of footpeg lowering thingies might do the job.

2013 Classic ,9500 miles

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 417
I have a R1200r classic, with 20mm bar risers ( as Ted mentioned ) and wunderlich foot peg lowering kit.

I am 6ft and 32" inside leg. Had the bike over a year now. I did 3000 miles in 17 days in march doing Spain and Portugal. No problems with comfort. The main comfort problem if you could call it such is wind blast. I stick to around the national speed limits so it doesn't bother me. The other guys on the trip ( GS, GSA, and RT ) could push on at higher speeds.

But being honest the benefit of my extras only make themselves apparent after a few hours riding.

Yes I have had a number of GS models, air and water cooled and they were comfortable as well. Just so happens I like the looks of the R1200r classic and my wife thinks the pillion is the most comfortable she has been on.

My bike has the 820mm comfort saddle and it is a pleasant place to pass the time on. Good luck with your selection.

I have a 2012 R1200R and found my legs were cramped so bought the high sports seat and all good now, I might try some bar risers as well at some point. I have a high Givi screen I am not using if anyone wants to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom