Dealer servicing question.

Stevey B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Question on behalf of a mate.

Both of us have 1200gs TE's. Mine is out of warranty, my oppo's has a dealers warranty for a second hand bike.
After enquiring with a number of dealers re the price of a service, which range from £365 - £600 😯.

Does the service have to carried out by a main dealer, and thus cost a small fortune,or can BMW trained engineers and in this case the guys at
the Stroud Motorcycle Company (previously recommended on this site) do the work to maintain the warranty ?.

Is a dealership warranty a BMW warranty per se or a dealership warranty only . That's the question we need help with.

This is a question we've never come across as I've never been able to afford a bike which had a dealers warranty and he's new to biking.

Personally I'm booking the service with the guys at Stroud, financially worthwhile and recommended by site members plus a nice run out and back to a nice part of the country. it's a no brainer for me.

thanks for the constructive answers.

Stevey B :beerjug:

I don't have the answer but it does seem a bit vague. I'm told I need to have my bike serviced at a main dealer, but then I hear people having their bikes serviced elsewhere and still claiming on extended warranty. A bit of a grey area but I stick with main dealer just because I think it pays to stick to one dealer and build a rapport. In terms of costs, I have mine booked in for a 12000 mile service at Wollaston and it's coming in cheaper than those broad figures you quoted. Might be worth a shot, though a bit of a trek, granted.

The first dealer quoted £365 for the service the second was between £500 -600. Not sure if they were mixing up the 12,000 and 24,000 mile service which apparently is a biggie. But regardless of that, most dealers offer, broadly speaking , the same sort of service and facilities but don't charge the same sort of price. I know these are run as independent entities but surely somehow the prices should be at the same level, roughly speaking.
Out of intetest how much did Woolaston quote for your service.

I am led to believe that the EU directive regarding of manufacturer warranties only applies to passenger cars. That being as long as you use manufacturer approved spares (this typically means their own) and the car is serviced by a trained and competent mechanic to the manufacturer standards in a legitimate business (in the U.K. this means a VAT registered garage) then the warranty is valid.

Unfortunately I am told this doesn't apply to motorcycles ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was quoted £270 at one dealer and £370 at another dealer for a 12k service. Both these were without the brake fluid change which was done last year based on time rather than mileage. Big price difference-- seems like it pays to shop around. Tempted to get a service kit off eBay for £45 and just let the dealer do the brake fluid and put the £135/£235 saving towards my next bike.

The first dealer quoted £365 for the service the second was between £500 -600. Not sure if they were mixing up the 12,000 and 24,000 mile service which apparently is a biggie. But regardless of that, most dealers offer, broadly speaking , the same sort of service and facilities but don't charge the same sort of price. I know these are run as independent entities but surely somehow the prices should be at the same level, roughly speaking.
Out of intetest how much did Woolaston quote for your service.

I think it's £320. That's for what will roughly be a 24,000 mile service. Not entirely sure it includes brake fluid change or not. I ought to check.

Interesting about service packs for £45. It seems that a fair few bits aren't covered by the extended warranty (TPS, switchgear, exhaust valve so far) so I've thought about stopping it, but then because I take the bike there Wollaston are going to see if they can remedy the sticky kill switch and another dealer was able to push a new header through for exhaust valve seizure. Ultimately I'm nervous about any big problems as I just wouldn't have the hard cash available to remedy so I feel it's prudent to keep visiting the main dealer. But if I had deeper pockets I might go solo. Odd logic I know.

I have a mixture of independent, dealer and self servicing. I have extended warranty. for the first time in 7 years and 57k I was asked to provide proof of servicing etc. All they required was invoices showing work carried out and that genuine or better parts had been used. They queried a VAT registered independent, but I pointed out that if I am allowed to service my bike using said or better parts, and I am not VAT registered, how would that work out. They couldn't answer. In short, I supplied a stack of receipts, a detailed spreadsheet of what and where things were serviced and all my receipts from the independent. All approved and the y have just replaced master cylinder and now today the main coil pack (no idea what this is as no paperwork or part number known yet). And this is from a dealer who has had no service related work from me or seen the bike before, ever! Big shout out to Bahnstomer Motorrad. So in a nutshell, keep your paperwork, don't cut too many corners but your warranty will still be valid.

SteveyB, I've just had a 18000 mile service with Park Lane and it only cost £204. Quite reasonable I thought.

You only need to have the work carried out by a "competent" person. I serviced my Daughters MT07 in my shed using Yamaha parts. I called the dealership and checked and they were happy to honour the warranty.

Thanks for all the replies it appears depending on the dealer and the fact you must use approved parts, the warranty will be honoured.
Again thanks for your guidance.

You only need to have the work carried out by a "competent" person. I serviced my Daughters MT07 in my shed using Yamaha parts. I called the dealership and checked and they were happy to honour the warranty.

"MUST USE A VAT REGISTERED WORKSHOP"

"Competent person" does not qualify as far as BMW are concerned

I know the above is correct, I think I am fairly "competent" person, being an Ex motorrad tech but apparently not so!

Also, I "think" OE / Genuine parts are required to be fitted too

Spend a few quid and buy the Mahle oil filter!

Hi Flo are Pure SCHITE!

If you need it off and its been overtightened, they rip, the filter body rotates on the base plate

None of my bikes will EVER have one fitted, especially considering the number of ones I have had to remove for folks that thought they would try servicing themselves and overtightened them!

"MUST USE A VAT REGISTERED WORKSHOP"

"Competent person" does not qualify as far as BMW are concerned

I know the above is correct, I think I am fairly "competent" person, being an Ex motorrad tech but apparently not so!

Also, I "think" OE / Genuine parts are required to be fitted too

Sorry to correct you: My bike has just been fixed again. Rear brake master cylinder and now new coil pack fixed under warranty. Only been doing it myself, or used Steptoe and occasionally BMW. All covered. They did query the VAT, but they cannot justify it as you can service your own bike and you are not VAT registered, so they got warranty to cover it. Been there, done it, know it.

Unless they are just tighter on controls over here Don

I shall attempt to find the relevant bit of legal poop but on the first look at google, its not showing that VAT registered thing anymore ??

Sorry to correct you: My bike has just been fixed again. Rear brake master cylinder and now new coil pack fixed under warranty. Only been doing it myself, or used Steptoe and occasionally BMW. All covered. They did query the VAT, but they cannot justify it as you can service your own bike and you are not VAT registered, so they got warranty to cover it. Been there, done it, know it.

I wonder if the BMW extended warranty would be so keen to stump up for the £3000 plus of work that my bike needs if it did not have a full BMW dealer service history ?

call them and ask. They are very easy to chat to. I usually call them to clarify if a suspected part is warranty or not, ahead of the dealer poo pooing me away...

1st class service

As per a site recomendation travelled to the Stroud Motorcycle Company today and had the 12,000 service carried out.
Cannot recommend them highly enough. The work was carried out promptly using BMW approved parts.
All in all £230 for service items, labour and a set of rear pads.
For me a bit of a trek through the Cotswold countryside, but definitely worth it. Excellent service, good price and a ride through a nice part of the country.

Stevey :beerjug:B

Question on behalf of a mate.

Both of us have 1200gs TE's. Mine is out of warranty, my oppo's has a dealers warranty for a second hand bike.
After enquiring with a number of dealers re the price of a service, which range from £365 - £600 😯.

Does the service have to carried out by a main dealer, and thus cost a small fortune,or can BMW trained engineers and in this case the guys at
the Stroud Motorcycle Company (previously recommended on this site) do the work to maintain the warranty ?.

Is a dealership warranty a BMW warranty per se or a dealership warranty only . That's the question we need help with.

This is a question we've never come across as I've never been able to afford a bike which had a dealers warranty and he's new to biking.

Personally I'm booking the service with the guys at Stroud, financially worthwhile and recommended by site members plus a nice run out and back to a nice part of the country. it's a no brainer for me.

thanks for the constructive answers.

Stevey B :beerjug:

I do my own using genuine BMW parts and never had a problem getting warrante work done.

This applies to both cars and bikes.

As soon as they're out or guarantee, I use non genuine parts which cost a lot less but only ever use decent branded oil.

Back
Top Bottom