Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Multi bike insurance raping time

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    It's that time again!

It seems that all these GS thefts has had a knock on effect on insurance figures. £251 to insure the KTM, then add the GS (which is the higher risk bike ), bumps it up to over £700 per year just for the 2 bikes.

I've called MCE, Bennetts, Carol Nash, The Bike Insurer, and Principal Insurance.

Any others worth trying?
    Try the RAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Yes it did. Your postcode was the only clue to it being perveieved as being situated in a low risk location. Move to a different post code and your premium might well change, in both directions. Central London post codes are being hit with 'No quote' or very high premiums if the bike(s) is / are valued above £16,000 and by others £20,000.
    Yepp.
    My multi-bike policy is "seen" as a single item over 16k and it's a bitch to get a quote or insure every year.

Wapping, last year while shopping for renewal I was told by one of the brokers on the phone that generally any bike valued over 5/6k non garaged in London is considered a no-no by them. Not even a quote.
    Is that sort of the case? Or was it BS?

To be fair to the insurers every once in a while, on my policy I have my GS registered on private property (value over 5k still) as it used to sit outside most times overnight (it is now kept in a garage for the time being).
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike] [flickr]

Im fitting Bike Track before insurance next due, My Oxford postcode seems to suffer as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by er-minio View Post
    Yepp.
    My multi-bike policy is "seen" as a single item over 16k and it's a bitch to get a quote or insure every year.

Wapping, last year while shopping for renewal I was told by one of the brokers on the phone that generally any bike valued over 5/6k non garaged in London is considered a no-no by them. Not even a quote.
    Is that sort of the case? Or was it BS?
    Motorcycle insurance for true central London postcodes, whether garaged or not, is becoming harder if:

1. One or more of the bikes is north of £20,000. That rules out the vast majority of bikes on the road, so most owners should be OK if they only have the one bike and its valued at less than £20,000

2. There is more than one bike where the accumulated value of all the bikes is greater than £20,000

Some insurers have reduced the bar from £20,000 down to £16,000. Again, this will leave most owners OK, as their bike is worth less than this.

Irrespective, the cost of buying insurance for inner London is rising for many owners. The number of insurers prepared to quote is reducing. BMW Park Lane have lost several new sales, as the buyer has not been able to obtain a quote or the premium demanded had been £10,000 a year or more for a brand new fully loaded 1200 GSA if it's to be kept in central London.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
    Right ... why the fuck am I getting bike insurance adverts in my posts ...... I'm pretty sure my subs haven't expired .....

BHT ....... BHT

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 17.55.07 by tunneruk, on Flickr
    Do you think it's anything to do with advertising revenue?

Funny how UKGSer is flooded with adverts and you need to pay to subscribe, whilst ADVrider has none of the above, isn't it? If you've paid subs, surely you should get an ad-free view?
    We will never be here again - have a good look around

Phoned them and found them very helpful.

My stable includes 2 x GS a Ducati 748S on SORN a Triumph 5T Speed Twin from 1951 under restoration.

They are able to cover all of these with the SORN bikes insured for fire and theft at agree values.

The clincher is that they have quoted me for a bike that I have a deposit on.

I have secured a Norton V4SS, one of only 200 that will be built and we have an agreed price to insure it at market value when the bike is delivered.

Impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by SPL View Post
    Nutty,

Give BeMoto a call; https://www.bemoto.uk/44teeth-road-bike-insurance

I watched an interesting interview with one of the founders, thought the 44T discount made it worth a phone call, so gave them a try.

They were very good, got me a better deal than I had, and with one of the big underwriters.
    A mate who also hangs about on here got a substantial saving when insuring multiple bikes too.

Worth 5 minutes on the phone...

1100GS and 1150 GSA, Carole Nash renewal £433.86, Bennetts same cover £312.36.

Late response:

BMW Park Lane have lost several new sales, as the buyer has not been able to obtain a quote or the premium demanded had been £10,000 a year or more
    Yes, I can see that happening. I had the same issue (companies refusing to quote) for some time.
    One last question (sorry) is about the "garaged at night" conundrum.

My two bikes: one is registered on the policy as garaged at night, because it is all the time.
    The other is registered as kept on private property off the road at my home address, because it is most of the times.
    This means that when it is not kept there it actually sits in the garage with the other bike. Still that would be a different postcode than what stated on the policy (I have a secure underground parking space not near home).

My question is: if the bike is kept in a place that is MORE secure than what stated, in this case garaged Vs being off the road in the open, will the insurer still non cover or apply excess (or whatever else is stated on the policy)?
    Isn't it arguable?

It's actually a curiosity of mine.
    And... I never tried to ask the insurance to state multiple places where I keep the bikes to be honest...

PS: the way I am forced to store/move/enjoy my bikes at the moment is reminiscent of the fox, goose and bag of beans puzzle.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11

My car sits outside my house, most of the time.

Sometimes (not most of the time, obviously) it sits somewhere else, sometimes miles and miles away.

It doesn't worry me and it doesn't worry my insurer, not least as they don't know.

PS I like the fox, goose and beans story.

Wapping: LOL.

not least as they don't know
    Ye, but if it gets nicked.
    To be fair, I've had this arrangement for ages, I'm not that arsed, like you.
    It was just a curiosity.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11

Just had my Carole Nash renewal through - £8 cheaper than last year. (£242)

Restoration and Paint services

07714 266 627

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ctmotorcycleservices

Just ended up taking out 2 policies rather than a multi-bike policy as it worked out cheaper even with only being able to use my NCB on one of the policies.

Not helped by my Wife wanting to be put on the insurance of the Scrambler

KTM using the NCB was only £145

Scrambler with Wife as named rider (still has a total loss claim to declare) and no NCB was £271

Still at least next year the second policy should have some NCB as well

Current insurers wanted £650 for multibike policy that included the wife and so saved over £200
    Paul S

Previous BM's: R100GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1200GS(04), R1150GSA(04), R1200GSA(06), R1200GSA(08), R1200GS TB (11) written off, R1200GS WC (13) R1200gsa WC (14)
    Current Bikes: BMW Scrambler X & KTM 1190 S Adventure

I've just had my multi bike renewal through for the GSA (2016) and the Urban G/S at £726 with Bikesure!!! Feckin daylight robbery, saw this thread and thought i'd give eBike a try....

£386.00 for both... result, cheers Rich.
    Emptiness is the starting point - In order to taste my cup of water you must first empty your cup. My friend , drop all your preconceived fixed ideas and be neutral. Do you know why this cup is so useful? Because it is EMPTY.....

R1200 GSA LC / RnineT

http://GS Banner1 by Chris Needham, on Flickr

CN wanted to charge me £381 on my existing policy to replace the GS with the KTM SA / complete new policy with CN was £486

....spoke to Bennetts re:new policy....£235....no brainer
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Bods discover that:

1. Their renewal offer (quotation) from their existing insurer is higher than last year

2. That they are under no obligation to accept it... unless of course last year they opted to renew automatically, in which case they are very foolish

3. That there are possibly / probably other alternatives available, if they are prepared shop around

4. They can possibly / probably save money by shopping around

5. That it's really not that hard a process but it requires some effort

Hopefully they'll be able to remember to do the same in 365 days time

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Bods discover that:

1. Their renewal offer (quotation) from their existing insurer is higher than last year

2. That they are under no obligation to accept it... unless of course last year they opted to renew automatically, in which case they are very foolish

3. That there are possibly / probably other alternatives available, if they are prepared shop around

4. They can possibly / probably save money by shopping around

5. That it's really not that hard a process but it requires some effort

Hopefully they'll be able to remember to do the same in 365 days time
    Don't be so 'logical'.....

If it weren't for hot topics such as this, no-one would have anything to 'chat' about....
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast