Multi bike insurance raping time

Right, all sorted, cheers folks. Went with Ageas, via eBike. :beerjug:

Much cheaper than everyone else, and the daft thing is that I'm currently with Ageas via Principal Insurance, and Principal were over £300 more expensive than eBike on this renewal.:nenau

They weren't happy when I told them I'm leaving.:comfort

Right, all sorted, cheers folks. Went with Ageas, via eBike. :beerjug:

Much cheaper than everyone else, and the daft thing is that I'm currently with Ageas via Principal Insurance, and Principal were over £300 more expensive than eBike on this renewal.:nenau

They weren't happy when I told them I'm leaving.:comfort

As a matter of interest my CN policy is with Ageas

As a matter of interest my CN policy is with Ageas

That's the daft thing, most of the brokers use Ageas. I guess some want to try and make higher margins than others.

Wonder if they are hammering you due to Post codes? this one of many reasons that Insurance differs..

Hastings direct do two bikes for me, One is the Rallye like yours. You are correct the NCB can only be used on one bike but I rang them ,rather than push some buttons on a keyboard, And they offered a big discount on the other bike . I get both bikes at £210.00 with a £100 excess.

Why not try this and get the Rallye as the main bike ,then add the KTM .

Wonder if they are hammering you due to Post codes? this one of many reasons that Insurance differs..

Hastings direct do two bikes for me, One is the Rallye like yours. You are correct the NCB can only be used on one bike but I rang them ,rather than push some buttons on a keyboard, And they offered a big discount on the other bike . I get both bikes at £210.00 with a £100 excess.

Why not try this and get the Rallye as the main bike ,then add the KTM .

I tried it every which way. GS as the main bike, KTM as the main bike. Reducing mileages on one or the other. Increasing voluntary excess on the higher risk bike.

I've spent over 2 hours on the phone to several brokers this week, so can't say I didn't shop around!

I asked each broker why the GS insurance has gone up so much, and they said it's a very high risk bike, much higher than the 160bhp KTM. Two said it's because it's a high theft risk.

My postcode didn't come into it at all, as we live in a very low risk area.

My postcode didn't come into it at all, as we live in a very low risk area.

Yes it did. Your postcode was the only clue to it being perveieved as being situated in a low risk location. Move to a different post code and your premium might well change, in both directions. Central London post codes are being hit with 'No quote' or very high premiums if the bike(s) is / are valued above £16,000 and by others £20,000.

In short, motorcycle premiums are by and large on the move and the move is generally upwards.

PS The bods in the Wilds of Nowhere postcodes needn't fret. A doubling will mean another 50p a month for you guys.

Yes it did. Your postcode was the only clue to it being perveieved as being situated in a low risk location. Move to a different post code and your premium might well change, in both directions. Central London post codes are being hit with 'No quote' or very high premiums if the bike(s) is / are valued above £16,000 and by others £20,000.

In short, motorcycle premiums are by and large on the move and the move is generally upwards.

PS The bods in the Wilds of Nowhere postcodes needn't fret. A doubling will mean another 50p a month for you guys.

EXACTLY ........postcodes are one of the initial base's of your premium ..a london postcode ....LOLOLOL they just laugh ,if you live in the outer hebrides,were there is no bike theft...your laughing on the other side of your face ...

I have just run my rallye through the comparison sites and the premium has DROPPED....since i insured ....only £4 a year though !

Give bemoto a go. They insured my TL1000s and my GS for £250+ I forget the exact figure, but it was less than the premium on my Citroen Xsara Picasso! They are exceptionally helpful, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's that time again!

It seems that all these GS thefts has had a knock on effect on insurance figures. £251 to insure the KTM, then add the GS (which is the higher risk bike :nenau), bumps it up to over £700 per year just for the 2 bikes.

I've called MCE, Bennetts, Carol Nash, The Bike Insurer, and Principal Insurance.

Any others worth trying?

Try the RAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yepp.
My multi-bike policy is "seen" as a single item over 16k and it's a bitch to get a quote or insure every year.

Wapping, last year while shopping for renewal I was told by one of the brokers on the phone that generally any bike valued over 5/6k non garaged in London is considered a no-no by them. Not even a quote.
Is that sort of the case? Or was it BS?

To be fair to the insurers every once in a while, on my policy I have my GS registered on private property (value over 5k still) as it used to sit outside most times overnight (it is now kept in a garage for the time being).

Im fitting Bike Track before insurance next due, My Oxford postcode seems to suffer as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yepp.
My multi-bike policy is "seen" as a single item over 16k and it's a bitch to get a quote or insure every year.

Wapping, last year while shopping for renewal I was told by one of the brokers on the phone that generally any bike valued over 5/6k non garaged in London is considered a no-no by them. Not even a quote.
Is that sort of the case? Or was it BS?

Motorcycle insurance for true central London postcodes, whether garaged or not, is becoming harder if:

1. One or more of the bikes is north of £20,000. That rules out the vast majority of bikes on the road, so most owners should be OK if they only have the one bike and its valued at less than £20,000

2. There is more than one bike where the accumulated value of all the bikes is greater than £20,000

Some insurers have reduced the bar from £20,000 down to £16,000. Again, this will leave most owners OK, as their bike is worth less than this.

Irrespective, the cost of buying insurance for inner London is rising for many owners. The number of insurers prepared to quote is reducing. BMW Park Lane have lost several new sales, as the buyer has not been able to obtain a quote or the premium demanded had been £10,000 a year or more for a brand new fully loaded 1200 GSA if it's to be kept in central London.

Right ... why the fuck am I getting bike insurance adverts in my posts ...... I'm pretty sure my subs haven't expired .....

BHT ....... BHT :shout

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 17.55.07 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Do you think it's anything to do with advertising revenue? :p

Funny how UKGSer is flooded with adverts and you need to pay to subscribe, whilst ADVrider has none of the above, isn't it? If you've paid subs, surely you should get an ad-free view?

Phoned them and found them very helpful.

My stable includes 2 x GS a Ducati 748S on SORN a Triumph 5T Speed Twin from 1951 under restoration.

They are able to cover all of these with the SORN bikes insured for fire and theft at agree values.

The clincher is that they have quoted me for a bike that I have a deposit on.

I have secured a Norton V4SS, one of only 200 that will be built and we have an agreed price to insure it at market value when the bike is delivered.

Impressed.

Nutty,

Give BeMoto a call; https://www.bemoto.uk/44teeth-road-bike-insurance

I watched an interesting interview with one of the founders, thought the 44T discount made it worth a phone call, so gave them a try.

They were very good, got me a better deal than I had, and with one of the big underwriters.
A mate who also hangs about on here got a substantial saving when insuring multiple bikes too.

Worth 5 minutes on the phone...

1100GS and 1150 GSA, Carole Nash renewal £433.86, Bennetts same cover £312.36.

Late response:

BMW Park Lane have lost several new sales, as the buyer has not been able to obtain a quote or the premium demanded had been £10,000 a year or more

Yes, I can see that happening. I had the same issue (companies refusing to quote) for some time.
One last question (sorry) is about the "garaged at night" conundrum.

My two bikes: one is registered on the policy as garaged at night, because it is all the time.
The other is registered as kept on private property off the road at my home address, because it is most of the times.
This means that when it is not kept there it actually sits in the garage with the other bike. Still that would be a different postcode than what stated on the policy (I have a secure underground parking space not near home).

My question is: if the bike is kept in a place that is MORE secure than what stated, in this case garaged Vs being off the road in the open, will the insurer still non cover or apply excess (or whatever else is stated on the policy)?
Isn't it arguable?

It's actually a curiosity of mine.
And... I never tried to ask the insurance to state multiple places where I keep the bikes to be honest...

PS: the way I am forced to store/move/enjoy my bikes at the moment is reminiscent of the fox, goose and bag of beans puzzle. :D

My car sits outside my house, most of the time.

Sometimes (not most of the time, obviously) it sits somewhere else, sometimes miles and miles away.

It doesn't worry me and it doesn't worry my insurer, not least as they don't know.

PS I like the fox, goose and beans story.

Wapping: LOL.

not least as they don't know

Ye, but if it gets nicked.
To be fair, I've had this arrangement for ages, I'm not that arsed, like you.
It was just a curiosity.

Just had my Carole Nash renewal through - £8 cheaper than last year. (£242)

Just ended up taking out 2 policies rather than a multi-bike policy as it worked out cheaper even with only being able to use my NCB on one of the policies.

Not helped by my Wife wanting to be put on the insurance of the Scrambler :blast

KTM using the NCB was only £145 :)

Scrambler with Wife as named rider (still has a total loss claim to declare) and no NCB was £271 :(

Still at least next year the second policy should have some NCB as well ;)

Current insurers wanted £650 for multibike policy that included the wife and so saved over £200 :confused:

Back
Top Bottom