Nav V map update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know I Know but have read through some of the other threads and cant suss it so thought I would take the wrath of Wapping and ask:D

So looking to update Nav V and basecamp with new map updates.

Basecamp now has 'city navigator Europe 2018.1 and 'global map' as options. Is this correct as I though should have Europe north & South?

Nav V only shows Europe DEM maps. When I try to install the same map as basecamp it starts its download but never finishes and end up with a message stating 'error installing update'

Have deleted and re downloaded Garmin Express and Basecamp but still the same,

Any advice welcome, piss taking expected :thumb

The latest maps on a home computer are not split north and south, at least not on a Mac. Can you see the detailed maps (zoom right in) on your home computer for say Helsinki (north) and Rome (south). Skip about in the map; zoom in and out. If your life depended on it, would you say that the detailed maps are installed in BaseCamp on your home computer, yes or no?

You do not need to be in Basecamp to update the maps on your Nav V. In fact you do not need BaseCamp for anything on the device's update front. Just download the updated maps from Garmin. This is usually done via Garmin Express, with the device connected to your computer.

Are you using a Mac or PC?

If you are using a Mac, are you using it as a Mac or running it as a virtual PC?

Are you connecting your Nav V device to your computer using a USB hub?

Do you have a brand new virgin good quality SD card in your Nav V device?

Are you trying to update the maps onto an SD card using a card reader, instead of the card being in your Nav V device?

Do you have a good speed reliable internet connection?

Have you mucked about (as lots do) with the operating system on your Nav V? If second hand, it's possible an earlier careful owner might have done so. If so, your beef is with them, not Garmin.

The latest maps on a home computer are not split north and south, at least not on a Mac. Can you see the detailed maps (zoom right in) on your home computer for say Helsinki (north) and Rome (south). Skip about in the map; zoom in and out. If your life depended on it, would you say that the detailed maps are installed in BaseCamp on your home computer , yes or no?

You do not need to be in Basecamp to update the maps on your Nav V. In fact you do not need BaseCamp for anything on the device's update front. Just download the updated maps from Garmin. This is usually done via Garmin Express, with the device connected to your computer.

Are you using a Mac or PC?

If you are using a Mac, are you using it as a Mac or running it as a virtual PC?

Are you connecting your Nav V device to your computer using a USB hub?

Do you have a brand new virgin good quality SD card in your Nav V device?

Are you trying to update the maps onto an SD card using a card reader, instead of the card being in your Nav V device?

Do you have a good speed reliable internet connection?

Have you mucked about (as lots do) with the operating system on your Nav V? If second hand, it's possible an earlier careful owner might have done so. Your beef is with them, not Garmin.

Good evening Mr W.

So happy that all Ok in basecamp having found Helsinki and Rome.

Using a PC not MAC, internet speed has allowed previous updates so think that's OK and NAV is not second hand.

Now when you say mucked about with NAV V operating system could you elaborate on what you mean please.

Failing that could be SD card but never had a problem loading routes etc on it ?

Thanks

Great the full European detailed maps are apparently installed on your PC. Phew, one possible problem alleviated. I say apparently only because Nutty wasted several hours of my life and phone bill, swearing blind that he had maps loaded onto his Nav VI, when of course (as it later transpired) he didn't.

Several bods report that they enjoy going into their GPS device's operating systems (or whatever it's called) and fecking about, usually to improve something or other. No doubt 'fecking about' has some highly technical IT term but if so I don't know it. Let's ask it another way.... You are the only owner of the Nav V. Have you in any way fecked about with it or is it (as near as makes no odds) just as it left Garmin's assembly line?

Do you have any detailed maps on your Nav V? Repeat the Helsinki and Rome zoom in zoom out procedure, please.

Just because an SD card used to work, is no guarantee that it works today. They are cheap. Put a brand new decent quality SD into your GPS device. Experience from other threads shows this often cures many ills.

PS In the meantime, any news as to how you are connecting your Nav V to your home PC? If you are doing it a via hub, stop. Connect the Nav V directly to your PC, please. If you are trying to update the maps via a card reader, stop. Update the maps on to a fresh correctly formatted SD card in the Nav V device, connected directly to your PC, please. I only press this point as there is a recent lengthy post where a bod had significant problems with maps; his being an inability to display maps held on his GPS device on his home computer. It transpired that he was not working directly into his GPS device but through a USB hub and a card reader, both of which were causing considerable problems. Running his Mac as a virtual PC played a role, too. This too was only something we discovered as the thread unfolded.

Report back at leisure.

As an update.

I have charged and turned on a Nav V.

Home screen > Settings > Map & Vehicle > Scroll down > myMaps

You should see:

CN Europe NTU 2018.1 ALL South This should have a green tick in the box on the left. If it isn't ticked, tick it

CN Europe NTU 2018.1 ALL North This should have a green tick in the box on the left. If it isn't ticked, tick it

Beneath these two separate mapsets, you should also see: Europe DEM and CN Europe NTU 2018.10 3D These are the Digital Elevation Map and the 3D mapset, which provide the 3D overlay to the device's display screen. It doesn't make too much difference if these two are ticked or not. I never bother with them.

From your opening post it seems that you only have the DEM overlay, nothing else. Therefore your opening post's message that there had been an error installing the update was correct. Why the error occurred, is anyone's guess. I suggest retrying, this time with a fresh brand new SD card, the device connected directly to your home computer, running the latest version of Garmin Express.

Await news....

Lord Wapping it has now worked so I thank you Sir:beerjug:

So it was one of the two things you mentioned and may help other numpties like me in the future.

1) I restored the Nav V to factory setting in case I had fecked something up

2) I sat the computer 'next' to the WIFI router, previously was in another room AND did the download at 6.30am this morning before the rest of the house hit the internet.

Downloaded within 30 mins and have all Europe north and south showing on Nav V. I think it was down to download speed of internet, slow speed etc rather than the factory restore.

So not only have I cracked Basecamp thanks to you I have also managed to get the download to work, should we be calling you the Messiah I wonder:D

That will be two pints of London Pride I now owe you should you have the misfortune to ever meet me

Thanks

My advice would be to never use wireless to update anything thats critical, its to flakey, where possible always use a cable, or be prepared for trouble if not.

Great news, a slow home internet connection being the likely cause of a failed map update to the device.

Another happy Garmin owner with all his maps updated to the latest spec's.

My advice would be to never use wireless to update anything thats critical, its to flakey, where possible always use a cable, or be prepared for trouble if not.

Funny that, I have been using wireless for years without problems but I guess if you have a slow connection wireless wont make it better.

John

Funny that, I have been using wireless for years without problems but I guess if you have a slow connection wireless wont make it better.

John

Really John do you need me to explain why a wired connection is more reliable and secure and faster than a wireles connection, just because you have not had one single issue with your wireless conection it does not mean that the op has not. and with what he has said its more than possible that it was the issue, but go ahead and carry on, and please explain how a wireless connection is more secure, faster, and more reliable than a wired one.

Really John do you need me to explain why a wired connection is more reliable and secure and faster than a wireles connection, just because you have not had one single issue with your wireless conection it does not mean that the op has not. and with what he has said its more than possible that it was the issue, but go ahead and carry on, and please explain how a wireless connection is more secure, faster, and more reliable than a wired one.

I didn't say it was better just that, given a decent connection, using wireless should not cause a problem. I don't find wireless ureliable, there is as far as I can see no real security issue when downloading a Garmin update and a full map update to both PC and device takes around 35 mins using a wireless connected PC or laptop. It was slightly quicker when we lived in Austria where we had a 100 mb connection but even there I found almost no difference in the time taken to download maps between our wired PC and my wireless laptop.

John

So its not better then, so for those who do not want to risk using a method that may cause issues my advice still stands

and for those that require the reasons why it may cause issues i will list a few plucked from a quick google, as i cant be arsed over such obvious answers to the subject
As wired networks are connected by physically plugging in a cable from one device to another, it is much more difficult to access them without authorization. There is no opportunity for someone wandering past your home to hack into your wireless network, for example. There's no need to give out wireless access keys -- a device physically connected to a network is part of it. If you want to keep your network as closed and secure as possible, then a wired network is the way to go,
Wired networks bring with them a reliable, constant download and upload speed unaffected by the environment. As these networks are closed off and don't travel through the air, they aren't susceptible to fluctuations in speed or interference from other wireless devices. While 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard can theoretically achieve speeds of 1,000MB per second, older hardware isn't up to this standard -- 802.11n maxes out at 600MB/s. Gigabit Ethernet provides a stable, constant 1,000MB/s connection.
The most common, 802.11n Wi-Fi speed currently in widespread use can achieve a maximum range of 250 feet in the most ideal conditions, although substandard hardware, interference from other devices and physical obstacles such as walls and floors can substantially reduce this distance. Ethernet cabling, in contrast, can stretch up to 330 feet without any loss of quality. If you have a lot of floor space to cover, then a wired solution enables you to stretch your network further than a wireless one.

edit and a few more if the above is not enough to convince

Wi-Fi is subject to a lot more interference than a wired connection. The layout of your home, objects blocking the signal, interference from electrical devices or your neighbors Wi-Fi networks—all these things contribute to Wi-Fi being generally less reliable

The limitations of radio

The air might seem capable of carrying an infinite amount of data, but that’s obviously untrue. How do we know? Radio stations are broken into channels to make sure they don’t overlap; various services, like cell phones and television transmissions, also have specific spectrum allocated to them.

The problem is interference, an issue that can impact a Wi-Fi router just like it can impact a radio station. If another device is using the same frequency and channel as your router, the performance of both may be reduced. A common solution is to change the channel using the router’s settings page, but even this can sometimes fail.

Radio also has a limited range. The waves can’t penetrate dense objects and can only project a certain distance before becoming useless. A wall with heavy plumbing, or a large object like a furnace, could degrade Wi-Fi performance if they intersect the router and the PC wirelessly connected to it.

All of these limitations can be resolved by Ethernet. Official specs put the range of Ethernet at 100 meters (almost 330 feet), which is far more than is needed for a typical home network. There’s also no need to worry about interference. Ethernet is very much alive and well in homes that, for whatever reason, find Wi-Fi to be unreliable.

And yes i do know and realise wireless is more convinient for some, but the above is still true.

So you are basically saying don't use wireless for anything. As the actual download of a map update is not the security issue, just someone hacking your wireless network. I have also done all my map updates over wireless and when I did have issues, it wasn't the wireless connection it was the Mac playing up, so I used a PC on my wireless network. I will have to research how two use my phone and iPad without wireless access. I worked most of my time in large IT organisations, they all use wireless extensively throughout their offices, its the security that needs sorting, i.e. people not using the standard password for their Hub and using a strong password for their internal networks.

So you are basically saying don't use wireless for anything. As the actual download of a map update is not the security issue, just someone hacking your wireless network. I have also done all my map updates over wireless and when I did have issues, it wasn't the wireless connection it was the Mac playing up, so I used a PC on my wireless network. I will have to research how two use my phone and iPad without wireless access. I worked most of my time in large IT organisations, they all use wireless extensively throughout their offices, its the security that needs sorting, i.e. people not using the standard password for their Hub and using a strong password for their internal networks.

Really, can you point me to where i said don't use wireless for anything, i dont think you can.
Just pointing out the problems that can arise when using it. and a solution to that problem.

So using the same logic as you have used on me, what you are saying is you have never had a dropped phoncall because of no signal or poor reception or never had your wifi drop out for similar reasons because if you have not you will be the only person i know who has not.
But i am not daft enough to think you would mean that.

I guess that as Wonkey has updated his maps, this thread can now be closed.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom