590 Cradle and USB lead no longer charging

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone had an issue where the USB cable from the mounting cradle stops charging via USB ?

It was working fine, then mid ride just seemed to stop and I cant remember without pulling panels off whether there was an in-line fuse for this cable (or whether its been worn through somehow). The cradle itself is fine and charging the unit.

RBW.

The 590 has a common battery issue whereby the contacts are barely touching (there is a fix for this on the zumo forums) I think Garmin may have rectified the problem so either fix your battery terminals or get a new battery from Garmin under warranty of course!

Hi all, has anyone had an issue where the USB cable from the mounting cradle stops charging via USB ?

It was working fine, then mid ride just seemed to stop

The cradle itself is fine and charging the unit.

I have broken your post down into what seems to be one question but two, if not conflicting statements, two that do not seem to fit with the original.

Can you please give us an exact description of what you have set up on your bike and hopefully a much better idea of what it is that is not charging. If it's the GPS unit that's not charging, how do you explain:

The cradle itself is fine.......... and charging the unit.

PS Right below yours is another bod or bods with (apparently perhaps) similar problem to yours. Maybe that thread holds the answers you seek?

I was reading this as, his cradle was no longer sending power to the usb outlet. There is no separate fuse for the USB lead. You could open up the cradle and check its not had any moisture in there. Have you tried different leads and or appliances from the output?

Absolutely correct, and maybe a better way to phrase it, the cradle is no longer sending power to the USB outlet.

It was after some pretty heavy rain, so could be that I guess. Once I've dragged the bike out of the garage and given it a clean I'll just check nothing is fouling the cable and then see about opening the cradle itself up.

Cheer !

RBW.

I was reading this as, his cradle was no longer sending power to the usb outlet. There is no separate fuse for the USB lead. You could open up the cradle and check its not had any moisture in there. Have you tried different leads and or appliances from the output?

The bike has been parked in a garage since Monday evening, so thought I would try again this morning to see if it had miraculously resolved itself, and it had. As mentioned by Kenny I'm assuming moisture is the culprit (what Im not sure about is whether that was moisture at the cradle end or the lead end).

The lead has a nice rubber protective cover and is totally enclosed within luggage when Im travelling but gets left fairly exposed overnight when the luggage is off the bike (with the rubber cover on it) so I wonder if thats the likely culprit. This also explains why I lost my speed camera announcements, as the USB connection was being used for music and data. (I realise I could have changed the connection to Bluetooth, but didn't realise it was Garmin Smartlink on the phone that was providing information for the speedcameras.

Cheers all.

RBW.

Thanks for attempting to help Wapping, I may not have described the situation perfectly. Even so its pretty impressive how many times I said 'no' to my self when reading your post.

RBW.

I have broken your post down into what seems to be one question but two, if not conflicting statements, two that do not seem to fit with the original.

Can you please give us an exact description of what you have set up on your bike and hopefully a much better idea of what it is that is not charging. If it's the GPS unit that's not charging, how do you explain:

PS Right below yours is another bod or bods with (apparently perhaps) similar problem to yours. Maybe that thread holds the answers you seek?

Back
Top Bottom