Thread: Respraying topbox lid

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Respraying topbox lid

My topbox lid is the standard silver, and I am getting a new bike next month in red. I want to keep the box and was considering having the lid sprayed to match, so has anyone else done this or is it more bother than its worth. I cannot see how to remove the hinges, (to make it easier to send the lid away).

Could be cheaper and easier getting it vinyl wrapped instead of painted.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Had my top box colour coded by the dealer from new when I picked the bike up last month. Cost £140 which I didn't think was too bad. What would make more sense is for BMW to supply colour coded lids as a factory option

It'll certainly look a damn sight better colour coded.

The lid is removed by knocking out the hinge pins with a small punch or a drill bit, they are a very tight fit and if I remember you punce them from the inside outwards.

I simply removed the screws inside the hinge so part of the hinge remained on the lid, easily masked up by any decent painter. Removed the BMW badge (they are held on with tape) by working a piece of dental floss around it.

Lid then painted £70 (including paint) plus Vat. Colour code supplied by dealer

Easier to mask around the hinges. The backrest is easy enough to remove, as you have probably discovered.

First one I had done was £100, the second one was part of a full respray-- £260 for all 14 pieces.

BMW dealer wanted £150 just for the lid. When I questioned it they said they might have to do it twice if the the first attempt isn't good enough--- so basically charged me extra to start with, cheeky gits.

I seem to remember the paint itself is a big part of the cost-- they have to buy a minimum amount which I think is half a litre.

Go to a proper spray shop and they mix the size batch they need on site from the paint code

Quote Originally Posted by Bada bing View Post
    Go to a proper spray shop and they mix the size batch they need on site from the paint code
    Aaaah right.
    The local spray shops I used get their paint from a Grimsby stockist that stocks all the BMW stuff and supplies the local dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Blade View Post
    My topbox lid is the standard silver, and I am getting a new bike next month in red. I want to keep the box and was considering having the lid sprayed to match, so has anyone else done this or is it more bother than its worth. I cannot see how to remove the hinges, (to make it easier to send the lid away).
    I DIY'd mine with Rattle cans from Halfrauds. Cost about £20 all in, but took a whole day with prep and rubbing down between coats etc.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I will get a price from BMW first, then decide whether to arrange the spray job myself or not. It'll be another 5 weeks or so before I get the bike but I'd assume the paint should be available before that.
    Thanks again guys.