Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's all over

Quote Originally Posted by pauljenkins View Post
    From an industry insider I spoke to the other day.
    Now that more and more countries are announcing the end of the sale of fossil fuels, the latest being the UK, BMW will most likely cease production of motorcycles.
    The investment required to meet ever increasing emissions legislation, let alone a completely new method of propulsion for bikes, is crippling.
    The motorcycle segment represents a very small percentage of BMW's business and for them, it just isn't worth it.
    To be fair it's not just them.
    Other manufacturers will be reviewing their long term strategy for motorcycles as well.
    All of the Japanese manufacturers, with the exception of Yamaha, are not financially dependent on motorcycle sales and so will most likely be considering abandoning production of pretty much everything, as the costs will far out weigh even long term profit.
    It's not just the introduction of electric power that is having an influence.
    Other initiatives such as driverless technology, are making life very difficult.
    It's hard to see where bikes fit in to any transport policy.
    OK they could reduce congestion but the problem there is that bikes represent about 1% of road traffic, but account for 20% of fatalities.
    So if bike traffic increased by just another 1% we would account for nearly half of all road fatalities.
    The related costs, as far as our respective governments are concerns, easily out weighs ant perceived advantage in terms of congestion relief.
    It's look pretty grim folks.
    Enjoy your bikes now, because in 20 years it will all be over, I promise you.
    What complete tosh!
    There are some very negative and uninformed tossers here, but you Paul, win the highest award!

Electric bikes will replace petrol ones, in the way petrol power took over the role of steam engines.
    However, they will be faster, need no maintenance and arguably be more fun to ride.

Biking will be far safer too. The self-driving cars surrounding us will eliminate smidsy and driver error.
    New materials for clothing and protection will maximise fun in all weathers.

The future is different. But, be assured, motorcycling will still be a great lifestyle.

At a time when so many car manufacturers are producing several fully electric and hybrid cars, you have to wonder why we're not seeing the same commitment from any of the major bike manufacturers..
    FFS, even Harley-Davidson (not known for embracing modern technology), much less innovating future technology, have developed, at great expense, the electric LiveWire!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...-livewire.html

I think you need to peek out from under that rock you have been hiding under.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeen GS View Post
    FFS, even Harley-Davidson (not known for embracing modern technology), much less innovating future technology, have developed, at great expense, the electric LiveWire!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...-livewire.html

I think you need to peek out from under that rock you have been hiding under.
    Did you actually read my opening post or are you just a stupid person.
    I suspect the latter, because if you had, you would have seen I clearly made mention of the Harley live wire.
    DER
    Oh dear.
    Not the sharpest tool in the box are you, although you clearly are a tool.
    Anyway, if there really is a future for electric bikes perhaps you, all seeing all knowing, could explain where they are.
    I mean at a time when electric and mainly hybrid cars are well and truly established, where are the bikes from the large mainstream manufacturers.
    Oh and please dont regurgitate the Harley.
    It's still a concept and despite promises by Harley Davidson to have it in production a while ago, they haven't and never will.
    So it's a simple question I ask you.
    Bearing in mind hybrid and electric technology is now established, where are the sports, touring and mid size commuter bikes from the big manufacturers.
    I really cant wait to hear your answer to that one.
    Over to you LOL

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    From an industry insider I spoke to the other day.
    Now that more and more countries are announcing the end of the sale of fossil fuels, the latest being the UK, BMW will most likely cease production of motorcycles.
    The investment required to meet ever increasing emissions legislation, let alone a completely new method of propulsion for bikes, is crippling.
    The motorcycle segment represents a very small percentage of BMW's business and for them, it just isn't worth it.
    To be fair it's not just them.
    Other manufacturers will be reviewing their long term strategy for motorcycles as well.
    All of the Japanese manufacturers, with the exception of Yamaha, are not financially dependent on motorcycle sales and so will most likely be considering abandoning production of pretty much everything, as the costs will far out weigh even long term profit.
    It's not just the introduction of electric power that is having an influence.
    Other initiatives such as driverless technology, are making life very difficult.
    It's hard to see where bikes fit in to any transport policy.
    OK they could reduce congestion but the problem there is that bikes represent about 1% of road traffic, but account for 20% of fatalities.
    So if bike traffic increased by just another 1% we would account for nearly half of all road fatalities.
    The related costs, as far as our respective governments are concerns, easily out weighs ant perceived advantage in terms of congestion relief.
    It's look pretty grim folks.
    Enjoy your bikes now, because in 20 years it will all be over, I promise you.
    Well, fcuk my old sea boots
    You're full of the joys of spring, aren't you?
    Did you just join this site to make your fifteen posts about Armageddon?
    Or, is your bike purchase getting to you that badly?

Remind me what you drink or smoke, then I'll avoid it..

University of St.Helens Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBiff View Post
    Well, fcuk my old sea boots
    You're full of the joys of spring, aren't you?
    Did you just join this site to make your fifteen posts about Armageddon?
    Or, is your bike purchase getting to you that badly?

Remind me what you drink or smoke, then I'll avoid it..
    He takes 'angry pills' as well.....I also suspect he's a sad character from here operating under a pseudonym.
    Some people are more violently opposed to fur than leather,
    because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

I suspect the latter, because if you had, you would have seen I clearly made mention of the Harley live wire.
    DER
    Oh dear.
    Not the sharpest tool in the box are you, although you clearly are a tool.
    Anyway, if there really is a future for electric bikes perhaps you, all seeing all knowing, could explain where they are.
    I mean at a time when electric and mainly hybrid cars are well and truly established, where are the bikes from the large mainstream manufacturers.
    Oh and please dont regurgitate the Harley.
    It's still a concept and despite promises by Harley Davidson to have it in production a while ago, they haven't and never will.
    So it's a simple question I ask you.
    Bearing in mind hybrid and electric technology is now established, where are the sports, touring and mid size commuter bikes from the big manufacturers.
    I really cant wait to hear your answer to that one.
    Over to you LOL
    They are on their way;

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...-cub-next-year

In the meantime;

http://charged.io/best-electric-motorcycles/

Expensive but hey, they are around.
    I met a cop in the USA a few years back and his daily mount was a Zero electric motorcycle
    all tooled up with a holster for his gun (was going to say weapon but thought better of it )

Reality you can rely on...
    Reminded me of that old Rush song that Neil Peart wrote (he's a serious motorcyclist).

Red Barchetta

My uncle has a country place, that no-one knows about
    He says it used to be a farm, before the Motor Law
    Sundays I elude the ‘Eyes’, and hop the Turbine Freight
    To far outside the Wire, where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
    As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
    Run like the wind
    As excitement shivers up and down my spine
    Down in his barn
    My uncle preserved for me an old machine –
    For fifty-odd years
    To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
    A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
    Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!
    Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime…

Wind in my hair –
    Shifting and drifting –
    Mechanical music
    Adrenalin surge –

Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me, across the mountainside
    A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me, two lanes wide
    I spin around with shrieking tires, to run the deadly race
    Go screaming through the valley as another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
    Straining the limits of machine and man
    Laughing out loud
    With fear and hope, I’ve got a desperate plan
    At the one-lane bridge
    I leave the giants stranded
    At the riverside
    Race back to the farm
    To dream with my uncle
    At the fireside…

BMW K1100LT (1995).

Harley FXST (1989).

My Photos

More Photos

'What I'm out for is a good time,

All the rest is propaganda!'

Paul Jenkins , you don't understood business do you ?
    In the car world we witness Tesla calling the shots...
    They are the ones who have made the investment in the manufacturing facilities, supercharger networks and obtaining intellectual and legal possession of the technologies.
    Mercedes , Jaguar , GM BMW and other vendors might never catch up. Opinions vary.

It sound like you might not "recognise " electric bikes unless they have a Honda /Yamaha / Suzuki badge!
    As other pointed out above , there is no obvious cure for your dark pessimism...perhaps go and spend some time with your GP.

David , worth a read!
    I wonder if there are guys on the forum who are familiar with his music but missed Neil's book?

DER...
    Over to you LOL
    Read you opening post again ... and couldn't see any mention of the Harley Livewire !

Read yesterday that 40% of German electricty is still generated by coal and they have closed all the nuclear power stations. Rest is powered by Putin gas supplies from Russia. Ever wondered why the Germans favoured the Ruskies? Polution in Stuttgart (home of Mercedes & Porsche) is way over EU limits, but strangely enough the Green Party in Stuttgart (they are in power) don't seem to complain about the automobile, strange eh? Good job the bikes are not diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by bisbee View Post
    Has anyone thought about what happens to all the batteries when they need swapping etc?
    The materials they're made from are very recyclable.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeen GS View Post
    Read you opening post again ... and couldn't see any mention of the Harley Livewire !

Well I must apologize.
    I made mention of the Harley live wire in my second post, which was still before you posted to suggest I didnt know about this bike, so my comment about you not bothering to read stands.
    Anyway I notice you skillfully evaded the question I asked.
    So again.
    While pretty much all of the mainstream car makers have electric and hybrid cars in their range, why don't any of the mainstream bike makers.
    Remember I'm not talking about scooters.
    I'm talking about the types of bikes that might be used by people like us.
    There is a parallel between this and the concept of diesel bikes many years ago.
    Like Zero with their electric bikes, there were many smaller independents producing quite tasty diesel powered machines.
    The mainstream makers did not follow, because they knew their was no future in it.
    Well OK Honda did dabble with a 2 litre diesel goldwing, but that was shelved as quickly as it appeared in the press.
    Same thing is happening today with electric bikes today.
    A few smaller independents have had some success, but on the whole the big players aren't interested.
    I mean come on.
    Don't you think that if a small time operation like Zero can produce a passable full size electric bike, the likes of BMW and Honda couldn't easily take it to the next level and beyond, with the technology they can draw on from their car divisions ?
    Of course they could, so why aren't they.
    If a full size electric or hybrid bike makes it into mass production I'll eat my words, but I won't have too because that day will never come.
    If I was wrong it would have happened by now.

Anyone else sense a conspiracy here? German car Manufactuers have dominated on perceived quality for a long time. They have massive fines levied and pending. They must redesign engine to actually meet specifications that they artificially influenced and set. They can't and their investment in tech is behind Asian competitors. Master stroke : if you can dominate the game then prepare and ch age the rules to level the play field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UturnTony View Post
    They are on their way;

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...-cub-next-year

In the meantime;

http://charged.io/best-electric-motorcycles/

Expensive but hey, they are around.
    I met a cop in the USA a few years back and his daily mount was a Zero electric motorcycle
    all tooled up with a holster for his gun (was going to say weapon but thought better of it )
    In Jackson Hole IIRC?

Never mind - here's the best version of this song:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12