Diary of a mad man, Cali 3, part umpty four, stardate 2017/08/13.

Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Rear brake feels odd - harsh action, stiff pedal movement, needs a firm foot to get any real pressure and then it catches sharp and then the front bias kicks in. B*ll*x! :(

... i bet it's that damn 'splitter' for the link to the front. I hate that thing :mad:. Never really understood it.

OR - the pistons are sticking in the caliper - ah, wait a minute - that kinda makes sense - Bike had its annual bath recently and maybe I lingered a bit too long there with the pressure washer (a pressure washer - a sin - i know, i know - but it's that - a wire brush or a trowel, or maybe a hammer and chisel to get the muck off).

O.k then ~ the sensible thing is strip and clean the caliper. So, did that. All nice, clean, smooth, equal movement on both sides - even a bit of grease still present after changing the seals last year, so WTF?! :confused:

... I bet it's that damn splitter thing :rolleyes:. So, i reluctantly took off the side panel, tools at the ready and took a long and thoughtful look at it.

Twenty minutes later - tools untouched, I put the sidepanel back on.

Hang on - there must be something i'm missing, there MUST be!!! (said with hope more than logic).

So come on Sherlock - follow the evidence! Follow the noise. The squeak, the graunch (technical term that).
Graunch led me to the rod that runs up from the pedal to the master cylinder under the other sidepanel - I even put a screwdriver to it and the handle to my ear to listen... Yep; it is coming from in there.

Hmmm, as i now stand and take a long and thoughtful look at it ... i know what you're thinking - I'm just going to do that for 20 minutes and put that sidecover back on. Again. :blast

well :p Hah! You're wrong! I got all technical on it, didn't I?!

Well, o.k. then - I got the tin of WD40 and squirted it up its orifice where the rod disappears.

Guess what?

Brakes now work fine, smooth and progressive, squeak, and graunch have gone.

I love my Guzzi :bounce1 - so blunt, basic and most of all - so simple...

just like the owner. :blush:

Well, o.k. then - I got the tin of WD40 and squirted it up its orifice where the rod disappears

Og tell me there are no hydraulic seals in that bit PLEASE!!!! (Not knowing what you are actually working on component wise)

WD40 and rubber brake seals are a TOTAL No No!

White grease spray if there are seals and even chain grease would have been better as it is safe of rubber

sitting here shaking head and tutting

P.S. Otherwise well done for getting tore in and having a go!

Back
Top Bottom