Speccing a new RT up

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
After three and a bit years with the 899 and saving my pennies I now have enough to buy a new RT so I've been playing on the configurator. I will wait until March (delivery) for the order, but you can never over prepare for these things :D .

Holy cow, what rubbish colour choices unless you want to spend £1,565 on the 'special' colours, with selecting one of these on an LE and ticking the Radio and Dynamic options you get to a heady £19,640 and that doesnt include the top-box :eek: Not sure I fancy white though. I realise this is well into K1600GT territory and may want to try one to discount it but really dont want the 6'er (apart from the sound).

Questions on my mind at the moment :

• Am I right to expect some compatibility issues for Bluetooth if I go for the Radio Setup (I have a Schuberth SRC system)
  • If I dont get the Radio, can I still plug in my phone in the cubbyhole in the dash and get music via the Nav ? (today I use a USB lead from the Garmin cradle on a 590LM but assume that would be different on the RT). Music is really important for me on a ride, so I need to at least know whats possible.
  • Anyone know the list price of a top-box and the cost to colour match ?
  • Any rumours to 2018 updates ?
  • I wont be ready to order for a couple of months, but any recommendations on BMW dealers ? Pidcocks is my local, but last time I went in there they had an approach to negotiation that didnt really work for me.

Feel free to point out any other useful information, apart from saying its daft to spend that much on a new bike :thumby:

RBW.

I should probably try one, but the RT itch has been going a while. I assume the RS will be much better at filtering (which is the only worry with the RT).

RBW.

Yolo so get it whilst you can.

Have you considered the RS instead the RT ?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

If you do spec radio, you will definitely experience limitations on bluetooth connectivity unless you have BMW bluetooth unit. Also, the wonder wheel will not control non-BMW bluetooth units.

There is NO right-hand cubby hole (with for without connector for phone) if you do not spec radio.

Top box makes makes a great bike look like a hearse.

Best colour is previous Callisto Grey - those ones are much quicker...

If you do spec radio, you will definitely experience limitations on bluetooth connectivity unless you have BMW bluetooth unit. Also, the wonder wheel will not control non-BMW bluetooth units.

There is NO right-hand cubby hole (with for without connector for phone) if you do not spec radio.

Top box makes makes a great bike look like a hearse.

Best colour is previous Callisto Grey - those ones are much quicker...

There appears to be a new colour Mars Red metallic, that looks interesting.......

:blast

id save yourself over a grand by not having the Audio

get a Nav V pop in a sim card and play music to your lid via a bluetooth like Sena that will work. OR ...get a nav V1 and just stream music direct from your phone to the nav and have it blue toothed to your lid...

id save yourself over a grand by not having the Audio

get a Nav V pop in a sim card and play music to your lid via a bluetooth like Sena that will work. OR ...get a nav V1 and just stream music direct from your phone to the nav and have it blue toothed to your lid...

I had audio on my RT.

£1,000 is a lot of money for a radio and more complexity on the BT front - essentially you have to run two connections, one to the bike for radio and one to the satnav for GPS/MP3.

If you go non-audio, I wouldn't bank on a functional bluetooth link to the GPS if you use the Schuberth BT. Some will tell you it does work; my experience (with two Schuberth helmets C3 and M1) is that GPS works but MP3 music is intermittent.

At the moment I wouldn't touch a NavVI with a barge pole, no matter what bike or BT system - read some of the other threads on here. Strikes me instead of a group-buy, somebody should be organising a group-return!

And don't forget, no audio, no right-hand cubby hole...

I agree with Richard on the Schuberth BT link .

The cubby hole were the leads fit are too small to get anything in really on the Audio model. No cubby hole is correct on the non audio model, but you can purchase the parts to turn it into one if required.

Cheers all, the phone/music connectivity is a big concern as currently I have what feels like a perfect setup with my phone connected via a USB lead to the Garmin 590LM which then provides music, phone, connectivity to Garmin Smartlink (speed cameras etc..), and also charges it. I do use BT from my helmet headset to the Garmin, but dont want to BT anything else if I can help it as it tends to mean sub-optimal functionality to be able to change tracks etc..

So thanks for confirming 1) only get cubby hole with radio 2) I will have compatibility issues, sounds like Nav VI would be step down from the Zumo. If I get the radio and the cubby hole, does this mean that the USB lead there will connect my music via the radio not the Garmin Navigator, and will the wheel work on it ?

Totally agree with @Boxed-in on the new Mars red colour, just awful.

Top boxes might look horrible, but a) they make filtering easier, and b) I'd really like to be able to stash my helmet safely and waterproof if Im travelling, and I know they fit in the panniers but not if I have other luggage in there they don't. Today I have expandable panniers on my current bike, and just lock my helmet to the bike if Im leaving it for any length of time with a cycle lock.

@Tractors-are-go, I'm loving your logic :thumb2

Interestingly a 2016 (2017 model) has come up for sale on this site. This could be consideration but I'd really rather sell first.

Cheers all.

RBW.

Rainbow at Rotherham are a good dealer, I certainly find them better than Pidcock's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently bought mine but didn't bother with the radio at £1,700.

Got aux lights, engine bars and just about to get pannier bars fitted to as I rarely carry a pillion, fender extender.

Also got Nav 6 but Nav 5 would have done fine really.

Great bike so enjoy !

Oh I didn't bother with a top box as I hate them.

I've already got a couple of roll bags just in case I need the capacity.

Got the top box, but only have it on for touring, its more for my wifey who feels more secure being able to lean back against it. Never have it on when not touring.

I also have the audio, and it connects fine to my Packtalk, so phone paired to nav, backtalk paired to nav and to the bike. The limitation is your pillion doesn't get the audio. You control volume via the bluetooth unit.

Got aux lights and cylinder head protectors as well. Best bit bought mine used with less than 2k on the clock for just over 12k, better than a new one :)

So thanks for confirming 1) only get cubby hole with radio 2) I will have compatibility issues, sounds like Nav VI would be step down from the Zumo. If I get the radio and the cubby hole, does this mean that the USB lead there will connect my music via the radio not the Garmin Navigator, and will the wheel work on it ?

RBW.

just to confirm ....on a Non Audio bike you get a cubby hole on the left side. its small but takes an iPod MP3 player.
on the Audio model, you get a usb lead connected into the bike and it says in the right cubby hole. To this plug in your music player. it can be selected on the Menu and the wheel operates the tracks. If you want to plug in an iPhone...you need the BMW iPhone to Audio system lead ,these are about £50 i think !!!! cheaper ones are available but not sure if the wheel recognises them .

You can buy the bits to put a cubby hole on the right if you want, not cheap, but depends on the value you put on having it :)

Thats great info., definitely the USB lead on the RHS cubby hole I need (so +Radio).

I wonder when the 2018 Goldwing will get announced :D

RBW.

just to confirm ....on a Non Audio bike you get a cubby hole on the left side. its small but takes an iPod MP3 player.
on the Audio model, you get a usb lead connected into the bike and it says in the right cubby hole. To this plug in your music player. it can be selected on the Menu and the wheel operates the tracks. If you want to plug in an iPhone...you need the BMW iPhone to Audio system lead ,these are about £50 i think !!!! cheaper ones are available but not sure if the wheel recognises them .

Top Box Lid Painting

Hi,
I am waiting for my new rt to arrive,buying it from Rybrook,Wolverhampton,been waiting 7 weeks now.The upside is that it has given me time to get me Farkles ready when the bike arrives.
I managed to find a used once only,fully wired 49 litre top box,from ebay.I have added the over priced bmw brake light at £148.00,it's easy to fit.
I have also removed the lid cover,there is no need to take off the entire lid,just unscrew all the screws you can see on the underside of the lid,there you go,lid cover off,15 minutes work.Mines white bytheway.Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom