Alaska 2018

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I didn't manage to do an Alaska trip this year for one reason and another but it's time we visited this brilliant place again. I ran this particular route in 2016 and it was probably the best trip I've done as it's a perfect mix of everything Alaska, Canada and the Pacific North West has to offer.

Here is the ride report from 2016: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/429569-Sgt-Bilco-s-great-Alaska-Adventure-2016

I've managed to reduce my normal Alaska trip to 3 weeks which should be better for a lot of people. To do this, we are going to fly the bikes directly into Anchorage as it gives us more time up in Alaska itself. We will then ride some stunning roads and through the most fantastic scenery you will ever see back down to Santa Rosa California where we will ship the bikes home.

However, the eagle eyed amongst you will note that details below say it's 4 weeks. This is because there is an option to do the Dalton Highway if you fly in a week early. The Dalton is a 500 mile each way dirt road up to Prudhoe Bay and is a real challenge so we will do this separately and before the rest of the trip.

After the Dalton, those doing it will ride back over to Anchorage. If you don't want to do the Dalton Highway, you fly in a week later and collect your bike and the rest of the trip is 3 weeks long, is all tarmac and suitable for just about any bike. It can get a bit rough in places but road tyres are no problem.

This trip is definitely a go-er as I've had a few people badger me to do it and have signed up. Hardly a hardship but there you go.

Here is a basic overview of the route but if you want more details, please PM me with your e-mail and I'll get it across to you.

Including Dalton Highway

Friday 13th July - Fly in
Saturday 14th July - Collect bikes from airport and check over
Sunday 15th July - Ride to Fairbanks
Monday 16th July - Check bikes and Dalton Hwy to Wiseman
Tuesday 17th July - Wiseman - Prudhoe Bay - Wiseman
Wednesday 18th July - Wiseman – Fairbanks
Thursday 19th July - Day off to check bikes over
Friday 20th July - Back to Anchorage and meet up with road riders

Road Trip Only

Friday 20th July - Fly in
Saturday 21st July - Collect bikes from airport and meet up with Dalton Riders
Sunday 22nd July - Hwy 1 through Kenai to Homer
Monday 23rd July - Back through Anchorage to Palmer
Tuesday 24th July - The Glenn Highway to Valdez
Wednesday 25th July - Glenn Highway to Tok
Thursday 26th July - Top of the World Highway to Dawson City
Friday 27th July - Day off in Dawson City which is an old gold mining town
Saturday 28th July - Klondike Highway to Whitehorse
Sunday 29th July - To Skagway
Monday 30th July - Alcan Highway to Watson Lake
Tuesday 31st July - Cassiar Highway to Hyder
Wednesday 1st August - Salmon Tail Glacier Hyder
Thursday 2nd August - Hwy 37 and Hwy 16 to Van Der Hoof
Friday 3rd August - Hwy 16 and Mt Robson to Jasper
Saturday 4th August - Icefields Pky, Athabasca Glacier and Lake Louise to Radium Hot Springs
Sunday 5th August - Back into the USA to Colville
Monday 6th August - Cascade mountains to White Pass
Tuesday 7th August - Past Mt St Helens to Governmnet Camp
Wednesday 8th August - Through Crater lake National Park to Fort Klamath
Thursday 9th August - Great Central CA roads Hwy 36 to Eureka
Friday 10th August - Pacific Coast Highway, Giant Redwoods to Santa Rosa.
Saturday 11th August - Drop bikes off and Fly Home

PM me for full details shipping prices etc etc.

Just a note, if you don't want to do this route, I'm happy enough just to ship your bike there and back as I always have a few spare slots.

Attachments

• Crater1.jpg
    Crater1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Dalton26.jpg
    Dalton26.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,541
  • Dawson1.jpg
    Dawson1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,567
  • Mt Robson.jpg
    Mt Robson.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,566
  • Roads to Valdez.jpg
    Roads to Valdez.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,546
Ok all, we got an open day up at Adventure Bike Warehouse in Manchester www.adventurebikewarehouse.co.uk on Saturday 4th November to discuss this magnificent trip.

We'll have the usual supply of tea, coffee, biccies and possibly a Chili on offer and of course a generous dose of Skygods wit.

I'll do a presentation at 13.00 hrs about Alaska but will be there most to the day to discuss any questions that you may have about this or any of the other stuff I do including the TAT 2018 and bike shipping to the USA.

Perfect excuse to get out for a ride on a late autumn day :thumb2

Just a reminder to be up at the Adventure Bike Warehouse on Saturday for this talk.

Great excuse for a ride out, a hot dog, decent brew and a blather about some great riding.

I’ll take the wuss option and come down by car :D

If anyone else wants to car share from NE Scotland, please PM me.
I’m heading down on Friday and back Sunday.

Hi Chris, nice meeting you and some of the guys yesterday at the ABW, interested in the Alaska trip.. I’m coming with you guys 😁🏍🏍🏍🏍
Paul WILLIAMS (Pablo)

Hi Chris, nice meeting you and some of the guys yesterday at the ABW, interested in the Alaska trip.. I’m coming with you guys ����������
Paul WILLIAMS (Pablo)
Good to meet you Paul; also Mr & Mrs MG and of course, Sgt Bilco. See you all in Anchorage.

Good to meet you Paul; also Mr & Mrs MG and of course, Sgt Bilco. See you all in Anchorage.

Everyone loves saying that.........:D

Thanks to everyone you came on Saturday and enjoyed the hotdogs and of course me waffling on for a couple of hours :eek:

Back
Top Bottom