Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anybody there?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Is there anybody there?

Well, the GS has gone to a new home in Westport, Co. Mayo and the new owner, Hi John, seems to be enjoying it.
    I was just finding it too difficult to manage after putting new shocks in a couple of months ago. Raised it about an inch and every stop became a challenge.
    Even with a low seat, my legs are just too short.
    So, I've gone over to the dark side and bought a Honda VFR1200F DCT.
    Had it a week and put about 500 miles on it. Just love the DCT gearbox!
    Always reckoned I'd end up on a big scooter but not sure I meant this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The V4 and DCT is amazing, one of the best engines i have tried. I would take that engine and box in my RT anytime.

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Had a Crosstourer DCT for a while

Yes stonking motor and the DCT is brilliant, just needs a telelever and ESA

Fine lookin' machine John.

Looking forward to crossing paths soon.

Could never understand why Honda didn't use this engine and transmission on an ST1300 replacement. It's perfect for a tourer.
    Thought I might have missed the ESA and telelever more but there's very little fork dive when braking and the handling in general, is far better than my abilities.
    Using the DCT allows you to focus on your braking, pick your line through a corner and just open the throttle when you're ready. And it'll be in the right gear, be it sixth, fifth or even lower. Couple of hairpins on Saturday and it was down to second. Amazing.
    In comparison with BMW the bike is relatively simple. Thinking about wiring in my Garmin, there's no canbus to worry about. I liked the ESA on the GS, but haven't really missed it that much.
    The earlier models had a restriction on first and second gears to 70% of the throttle, they're ride by wire. They didn't have traction control and think the idea was to stop them going sideways away from the lights if you were a bit cack handed on the throttle!
    A favorite mod in the States seems to be getting the ECU done.
    This smooths the delivery, removes the restriction and ups the power from 170bhp to about 190bhp!
    Think I'll limp by with the 170.
    The one issue with the DCT is when moving out of a junction, say, the throttle can be a bit on, off and you can't slip the clutch. Something I found with the ride by wire on the K1600GT.
    I've picked up a NOS Rapidbike Easy for the VFR on eBay for £80. It's supposed to do the same as the AF XiED units so looking forward to trying them out. Hoping bringing up the AFR in the closed loop will make the delivery a bit smoother as it did with the GS.
    Otherwise, it's the 190bhp remap over the winter!

Why put up with just 170 when you can have 190!!

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Jeesus...... it must be fast!

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfarmer View Post
    Had a Crosstourer DCT for a while

Yes stonking motor and the DCT is brilliant, just needs a telelever and ESA
    My thoughts entirely - loved the CT engine and DCT but the crap forks annoyed the life out of me! The V4 makes a lovely note but I knew it was going to be a short love affair.
    I've gone orange 1290 SA

Had a go on the Crosstourer myself and did like the DCT gearbox, but the rest of it didn't do it for me. Too tall and heavy for me. Almost the same weight as the 1200F.
    The looks didn't do it for me, either.
    The 1200F has an additional 43bhp(?) but its not just about outright power. This engine has a massive spread of power across the range. Normal driving, and its in sixth by around 45mph and will pull strongly without changing down. Open the throttle a bit more and it'll drop into fifth or even fourth, if you open it a bit more.
    The 1200F is a road bike and, even with stock suspension, it's a very stable handling bike. The brakes are supposed to be the same as a Fireblade and are awesome. Many GS owners complain about a bike having ABS, I wouldn't like to use these brakes on the road in anger without ABS.
    Overall, the Crosstourer has little in common with the 1200F besides the DCT gearbox and the same engine configuration. Incidentally, it would be virtually impossible to upgrade the Crosstourer engine to the same spec as the 1200F.
    My only niggle would be that the riding position is a bit sporty for the fuller figured gentleman, but there are solutions.
    I'm currently awaiting a UK made, rider footrest lowering kit. Should lower them by around an inch. £35! For a BMW, add £100.

Quote Originally Posted by comberjohn View Post
    Had a go on the Crosstourer myself and did like the DCT gearbox, but the rest of it didn't do it for me. Too tall and heavy for me. Almost the same weight as the 1200F.
    The looks didn't do it for me, either.
    The 1200F has an additional 43bhp(?) but its not just about outright power. This engine has a massive spread of power across the range. Normal driving, and its in sixth by around 45mph and will pull strongly without changing down. Open the throttle a bit more and it'll drop into fifth or even fourth, if you open it a bit more.
    The 1200F is a road bike and, even with stock suspension, it's a very stable handling bike. The brakes are supposed to be the same as a Fireblade and are awesome. Many GS owners complain about a bike having ABS, I wouldn't like to use these brakes on the road in anger without ABS.
    Overall, the Crosstourer has little in common with the 1200F besides the DCT gearbox and the same engine configuration. Incidentally, it would be virtually impossible to upgrade the Crosstourer engine to the same spec as the 1200F.
    My only niggle would be that the riding position is a bit sporty for the fuller figured gentleman, but there are solutions.
    I'm currently awaiting a UK made, rider footrest lowering kit. Should lower them by around an inch. £35! For a BMW, add £100.
    Holy thread revival Batman!

John, I'm looking at a 2014 VFR1200X over in Blitey. It's the Highlander (bars,luggage,lights) DCT model.

My poor Beemer is no more.......in the famous words of Mr Cleese......it is deceased......it is an ex beemer.

Am I going to like this DCT witchcraft????

(I'm sure the suspension can be upgraded)

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Quote Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
    Holy thread revival Batman!

John, I'm looking at a 2014 VFR1200X over in Blitey. It's the Highlander (bars,luggage,lights) DCT model.

My poor Beemer is no more.......in the famous words of Mr Cleese......it is deceased......it is an ex beemer.

Am I going to like this DCT witchcraft????

(I'm sure the suspension can be upgraded)
    Yes you're gonna love the DCT witchcraft

I'll dig out the suspension settings that work pretty well for the standard suspension, it'll handle fine

I’m really tempted by the vfr1200 DCT - I need to try one though. Prefer the GT version which I think had luggage and centre stand from 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogs welcome

Had two, riding position takes a while to adjust to, my hips and knees felt it on the 135 mile ride home on first one but within a few rides all good, awesome engine and they do hustle.

Hi Keith. What happened your GS?
    The suspension can be altered no problem. Lots of options, usually for less outlay than tweaking a BMW!
    These things are so reliable, too.
    I never give the final drive or electrics a thought. It's a Honda!
    Build quality is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by comberjohn View Post
    Hi Keith. What happened your GS?
    The suspension can be altered no problem. Lots of options, usually for less outlay than tweaking a BMW!
    These things are so reliable, too.
    I never give the final drive or electrics a thought. It's a Honda!
    Build quality is excellent.
    Out with the old.......in with the new!!

Like the stupid sod I am...... I only went and wrote it off!!

I got another one (the VFR I was after had sold)
    exactly the same year, 2007, White instead of Silver and very low miles.

Sorry lads..... I know this is the Honda section but I'm in the honeymoon phase!

Sent from a U11

Very pretty. Glad you were ok.
    Must admit, looking at some photos recently of my GS, I wondered if I had done the right thing. But over it now. Think it just took me a while to gel with the VFR. Would've had a hankering for another K1600GT every now and again, as well. Then I read about someone on the forum whose K1600GT has trashed half of it's 24 valves when the cam chain jumped a tooth. £1800! 😱
    Not an unheard of thing thing with the K1200/1300.
    I liked the GS but my legs aren't getting any longer and I'd got every farkle that I wanted. It just felt like I'd been there, done that and it was time for a change.
    I'm amazed how well I've adapted to the VFR. I've lost a bit of weight and that makes the riding position so much more comfortable. Was over in Mayo for a couple of days on it last month and, for me, does everything I need it to do.
    Have a few mods planned for over the winter. Dammed farkles again. At least they're a lot cheaper to buy!
    But the thing I like about the VFR most is the total lack of feeling of impending mechanical(expensive) disaster that I had with the K1600GT and, to a lesser extent, the GS. Final drive anyone?
    Never had any qualms with any of my old K100's.
    Suppose when I can't hold this one up, I'll have to think of something else. Been reading about VFR's with 80-90k miles with nothing but servicing, so looking good.
    It'll probably blow the final drive next time I'm out now.
    See you on the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast