Is there anybody there?

comberjohn

Reaction score
Well, the GS has gone to a new home in Westport, Co. Mayo and the new owner, Hi John, seems to be enjoying it.
I was just finding it too difficult to manage after putting new shocks in a couple of months ago. Raised it about an inch and every stop became a challenge.
Even with a low seat, my legs are just too short.
So, I've gone over to the dark side and bought a Honda VFR1200F DCT.
Had it a week and put about 500 miles on it. Just love the DCT gearbox!
Always reckoned I'd end up on a big scooter but not sure I meant this.

Attachments

• Comp 1 13-11-15-09611.jpeg
    Comp 1 13-11-15-09611.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 792
The V4 and DCT is amazing, one of the best engines i have tried. I would take that engine and box in my RT anytime.

Could never understand why Honda didn't use this engine and transmission on an ST1300 replacement. It's perfect for a tourer.
Thought I might have missed the ESA and telelever more but there's very little fork dive when braking and the handling in general, is far better than my abilities.
Using the DCT allows you to focus on your braking, pick your line through a corner and just open the throttle when you're ready. And it'll be in the right gear, be it sixth, fifth or even lower. Couple of hairpins on Saturday and it was down to second. Amazing.
In comparison with BMW the bike is relatively simple. Thinking about wiring in my Garmin, there's no canbus to worry about. I liked the ESA on the GS, but haven't really missed it that much.
The earlier models had a restriction on first and second gears to 70% of the throttle, they're ride by wire. They didn't have traction control and think the idea was to stop them going sideways away from the lights if you were a bit cack handed on the throttle!
A favorite mod in the States seems to be getting the ECU done.
This smooths the delivery, removes the restriction and ups the power from 170bhp to about 190bhp!
Think I'll limp by with the 170.
The one issue with the DCT is when moving out of a junction, say, the throttle can be a bit on, off and you can't slip the clutch. Something I found with the ride by wire on the K1600GT.
I've picked up a NOS Rapidbike Easy for the VFR on eBay for £80. It's supposed to do the same as the AF XiED units so looking forward to trying them out. Hoping bringing up the AFR in the closed loop will make the delivery a bit smoother as it did with the GS.
Otherwise, it's the 190bhp remap over the winter!

Why put up with just 170 when you can have 190!!

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Had a Crosstourer DCT for a while

Yes stonking motor and the DCT is brilliant, just needs a telelever and ESA

My thoughts entirely - loved the CT engine and DCT but the crap forks annoyed the life out of me! The V4 makes a lovely note but I knew it was going to be a short love affair.

Had a go on the Crosstourer myself and did like the DCT gearbox, but the rest of it didn't do it for me. Too tall and heavy for me. Almost the same weight as the 1200F.
The looks didn't do it for me, either.
The 1200F has an additional 43bhp(?) but its not just about outright power. This engine has a massive spread of power across the range. Normal driving, and its in sixth by around 45mph and will pull strongly without changing down. Open the throttle a bit more and it'll drop into fifth or even fourth, if you open it a bit more.
The 1200F is a road bike and, even with stock suspension, it's a very stable handling bike. The brakes are supposed to be the same as a Fireblade and are awesome. Many GS owners complain about a bike having ABS, I wouldn't like to use these brakes on the road in anger without ABS.
Overall, the Crosstourer has little in common with the 1200F besides the DCT gearbox and the same engine configuration. Incidentally, it would be virtually impossible to upgrade the Crosstourer engine to the same spec as the 1200F.
My only niggle would be that the riding position is a bit sporty for the fuller figured gentleman, but there are solutions.
I'm currently awaiting a UK made, rider footrest lowering kit. Should lower them by around an inch. £35! For a BMW, add £100.

Had a go on the Crosstourer myself and did like the DCT gearbox, but the rest of it didn't do it for me. Too tall and heavy for me. Almost the same weight as the 1200F.
The looks didn't do it for me, either.
The 1200F has an additional 43bhp(?) but its not just about outright power. This engine has a massive spread of power across the range. Normal driving, and its in sixth by around 45mph and will pull strongly without changing down. Open the throttle a bit more and it'll drop into fifth or even fourth, if you open it a bit more.
The 1200F is a road bike and, even with stock suspension, it's a very stable handling bike. The brakes are supposed to be the same as a Fireblade and are awesome. Many GS owners complain about a bike having ABS, I wouldn't like to use these brakes on the road in anger without ABS.
Overall, the Crosstourer has little in common with the 1200F besides the DCT gearbox and the same engine configuration. Incidentally, it would be virtually impossible to upgrade the Crosstourer engine to the same spec as the 1200F.
My only niggle would be that the riding position is a bit sporty for the fuller figured gentleman, but there are solutions.
I'm currently awaiting a UK made, rider footrest lowering kit. Should lower them by around an inch. £35! For a BMW, add £100.

Holy thread revival Batman!

John, I'm looking at a 2014 VFR1200X over in Blitey. It's the Highlander (bars,luggage,lights) DCT model.

My poor Beemer is no more.......in the famous words of Mr Cleese......it is deceased......it is an ex beemer.

Am I going to like this DCT witchcraft????

(I'm sure the suspension can be upgraded)

Holy thread revival Batman!

John, I'm looking at a 2014 VFR1200X over in Blitey. It's the Highlander (bars,luggage,lights) DCT model.

My poor Beemer is no more.......in the famous words of Mr Cleese......it is deceased......it is an ex beemer.

Am I going to like this DCT witchcraft????

(I'm sure the suspension can be upgraded)

Yes you're gonna love the DCT witchcraft

I'll dig out the suspension settings that work pretty well for the standard suspension, it'll handle fine

I’m really tempted by the vfr1200 DCT - I need to try one though. Prefer the GT version which I think had luggage and centre stand from 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had two, riding position takes a while to adjust to, my hips and knees felt it on the 135 mile ride home on first one but within a few rides all good, awesome engine and they do hustle.

Hi Keith. What happened your GS?
The suspension can be altered no problem. Lots of options, usually for less outlay than tweaking a BMW!
These things are so reliable, too.
I never give the final drive or electrics a thought. It's a Honda!
Build quality is excellent.

Hi Keith. What happened your GS?
The suspension can be altered no problem. Lots of options, usually for less outlay than tweaking a BMW!
These things are so reliable, too.
I never give the final drive or electrics a thought. It's a Honda!
Build quality is excellent.
Out with the old.......in with the new!!

Like the stupid sod I am...... I only went and wrote it off!!

I got another one (the VFR I was after had sold)
exactly the same year, 2007, White instead of Silver and very low miles.

Sorry lads..... I know this is the Honda section but I'm in the honeymoon phase!
fbd7a7351ca3df8d6f012b1d99b6f2c7.jpg

Sent from a U11

Very pretty. Glad you were ok.
Must admit, looking at some photos recently of my GS, I wondered if I had done the right thing. But over it now. Think it just took me a while to gel with the VFR. Would've had a hankering for another K1600GT every now and again, as well. Then I read about someone on the forum whose K1600GT has trashed half of it's 24 valves when the cam chain jumped a tooth. £1800! 😱
Not an unheard of thing thing with the K1200/1300.
I liked the GS but my legs aren't getting any longer and I'd got every farkle that I wanted. It just felt like I'd been there, done that and it was time for a change.
I'm amazed how well I've adapted to the VFR. I've lost a bit of weight and that makes the riding position so much more comfortable. Was over in Mayo for a couple of days on it last month and, for me, does everything I need it to do.
Have a few mods planned for over the winter. Dammed farkles again. At least they're a lot cheaper to buy!
But the thing I like about the VFR most is the total lack of feeling of impending mechanical(expensive) disaster that I had with the K1600GT and, to a lesser extent, the GS. Final drive anyone?
Never had any qualms with any of my old K100's.
Suppose when I can't hold this one up, I'll have to think of something else. Been reading about VFR's with 80-90k miles with nothing but servicing, so looking good.
It'll probably blow the final drive next time I'm out now.
See you on the road.

Very pretty. Glad you were ok.
Must admit, looking at some photos recently of my GS, I wondered if I had done the right thing. But over it now. Think it just took me a while to gel with the VFR. Would've had a hankering for another K1600GT every now and again, as well. Then I read about someone on the forum whose K1600GT has trashed half of it's 24 valves when the cam chain jumped a tooth. £1800!
Not an unheard of thing thing with the K1200/1300.
I liked the GS but my legs aren't getting any longer and I'd got every farkle that I wanted. It just felt like I'd been there, done that and it was time for a change.
I'm amazed how well I've adapted to the VFR. I've lost a bit of weight and that makes the riding position so much more comfortable. Was over in Mayo for a couple of days on it last month and, for me, does everything I need it to do.
Have a few mods planned for over the winter. Dammed farkles again. At least they're a lot cheaper to buy!
But the thing I like about the VFR most is the total lack of feeling of impending mechanical(expensive) disaster that I had with the K1600GT and, to a lesser extent, the GS. Final drive anyone?
Never had any qualms with any of my old K100's.
Suppose when I can't hold this one up, I'll have to think of something else. Been reading about VFR's with 80-90k miles with nothing but servicing, so looking good.
It'll probably blow the final drive next time I'm out now.
See you on the road.
Cheers John.

Will have a lot of free time over the Xmas (wife going to Aus for 3 weeks)

We will have to organise a coffee half way up maybe?

Sent from a U11

Sounds like a plan.

I really enjoyed my dct ct and what a gr we at engine... What bugged me was the riding pos wasn't quite right and the suspension was harsh and the bike a bit leaden... Also who made the tank that small...��

Modern Hondas are a bit under or over though but not quite the package overall...

I found with dct that the trick with smooth getaways especially at junctions, was to engage drive a second early and then it was fine for smooth getaways... Presently riding an st11 and no one has yet set up FI as smooth as that...

I found the same with the Crosstourer riding position and suspension not quite up to it for a relatively expensive bike.
These days, a tank with a range of over 100 miles is regarded as acceptable. But then, if you are just riding down to the seaside for a pose, it's all you need anyway. I get around 150 miles before I need to start looking for fuel. I can live with that.
What you have to remember is that modern bikes need a massive air filter to get them through emissions and under the tank is the only place to put it. So capacity suffers.
I've no problems moving off from junctions with the DCT. Pulls away smoothly.
The problem I'm finding is when going slowly through town, it's inclined to hesitate and surge a bit. Not unlike an unmodified GS.
I use the paddles and keep it in a higher gear in town. This is where it should be in its element in auto.
Think modern Hondas are designed and built like a modern car. That's the feel I get when I'm working at it. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Ah, the old rose tinted glasses.
Of course the fueling on your ST11 is perfect. So was my K100. As were most fuel injected bikes at that time.
Nowadays they wouldn't get on the road due to emissions controls.
This is what hilltop and others like them do to make modern engines run as they should. Usually means fixing the weak fueling at the point where the engine gets tested for emissions. It's impressive that they can get them to run at all with today's restrictions.
My GS would pull like a train from 2000 rpm once I sorted the fueling and that's a big, lumpy, air cooled twin.

Back
Top Bottom