First ride in anger.

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a little trial the other evening to see if I could ride the bike. Just a little bimble of about 20 miles around the lanes. I managed it happily and came home with a big smile and probably too much confidence! Yesterday I took the camera down to west of Swansea to photograph a bike for an American magazine. The damn road was closed and it was an 80 mile detour to get to where I had to go....I got there in the end though, nice lighting and nice bike, not the most inspiring of surroundings but it'll do. Once the shoot was over I decided I was going to go home the scenic route as best I could. So I set off to go over the Black Mountain then from there right up through mid Wales and home on nothing but A and B roads, and only about 30 miles of dual carriageway. It was a brilliant ride, but I know I had done too much last evening. 536 miles round trip was probably a bit too ambitious for my first proper ride back in the saddle and my arm and shoulder were killing me when I got home - and were still hurting this morning and it was this afternoon before the pain killers got things back under control. I think I need to ease myself back in.....but, it confirmed my love for the 650. I just need to sort some lockable boxes now, so I can stow my camera gear securely. :thumby:

Great to see you back on the bike again after what you've been through. 536 miles is a little more than a bimble!

Glad to see you back in the saddle Simon, saw your post on UKadv riders does this affirm your sticking with your XC and giving up on the 1150?

Glad to see you back in the saddle Simon, saw your post on UKadv riders does this affirm your sticking with your XC and giving up on the 1150?

Yes, most definitely - my right lung has lost 40% of its volume as a result and the muscle wastge that has gone on during the time I have been laid up is incredible. I wouldn't have believed so much could be lost so quickly - I had physio the other day and she gave me a 1kg weight, I couldn't lift it above my head, in fact I couldn't get it to shoulder height! It was a bit embarressing to have to go the 0.5kg route......the 1150 Adventure is going to be way too heavy for me - and as the other day proved, I can do the job on the little one, it might take an hour a day longer, so be that as it may.

I have my original 1150 still here because I can't get it out to photograph it to sell it....the other one is here too, in the kayak shed, awaiting the insurance decision.

Good to see you back on the road.. best wishes :thumb

Back
Top Bottom