Burning Engine Oil

Warlord,

I’ve never had to put one drop of oil in an LC yet and I’m on my 4th GS, I ride about 10,000 p/annum.

However, it’s probably well within the makers tolerance and it will probably settle down to nothing as it begins to bed in.

Just be sure that you check it following the handbook instructions to the letter, as the reading in the sight glass can vary due to oil temp etc.

Warlord,

I’ve never had to put one drop of oil in an LC yet and I’m on my 4th GS, I ride about 10,000 p/annum.

However, it’s probably well within the makers tolerance and it will probably settle down to nothing as it begins to bed in.

Just be sure that you check it following the handbook instructions to the letter, as the reading in the sight glass can vary due to oil temp etc.

Agreed.

My 16 plate did burn oil on start up , sometimes it really smoked , but normally after being left for a week , dealers say nothing unusual but they have noticed other bikes with the same problems ( bikes in there second hand showroom)
This was up to 3000 miles , but had a week in spain and thrashed the living daylights out the bugger every day for seven days 1900 miles and it stopped it.......
Happy days now

One wheels enough

Yes, probably a minimum of 2.5 Litres specific for Turbo Diesel Car Engines at £35 a bottle.

When I will probably only want 250-500ml top up of my BMW Specific Oil.

So tadpole brain :blast, I'm planning ahead just in case and using the right grade motorcycle oil :) :rolleyes:

You can buy 1litre of specific bike oil, in most garages
10/40w
20/50w
5/30w

Any bike oil will mix with what's in there, any bike oil is better than none

BMW Specific - wtf is that?

BMW have got you hook,line and sinker:rolleyes:

BMW switched from Castrol to Shell, all to do with marketing and getting a better deal from the oil company

Did they consult you first?

Can you mix Shell and Castrol, of course you can

You are a tosser, sometimes .................with your overly anxious questions

Any, is better than low or no oil

FFS:blast

Oil is Oil

I think the post was more - the usual 'bon motte' that people love to introduce to a thread.............

Was down in Gorge de Verdon a few years ago, and saw a half-full (ltr) bottle of oil - on top of one of the dumpsters, which was close-ish to the spec used by my pal in his 1150GS. It was clean, seemingly unused oil - so he used it to top up.

Why not? :D

Warlord,

He probably ran it in, by the book

That's why the fucking thing uses oil, he didn't run it in properly:D

My 2017 (March) R1200GSA is burning engine oil.

It was bought new and I ran it in (no different than plenty of other new bikes I've owned in the past). So the running in procedure was, in my opinion, done correctly.

However, I've used around 500ml of engine oil in the past 5,500 miles. No leaks. Bike is clean as a whistle.

Does that sound normal for this bike, when ridden sympathetically hard.

I don't abuse the bike, but I do rev it through the range regularly.

Just wondered, as I have no experience of this engine before.

Bingo

Unfortunately, you may have caused the oil usage yourself by 'running it in correctly'.

These engines seem to like it rough in the early days.

Having said that 1/2 litre in 5,500 miles doesn't sound too excessive.

Live with it and enjoy the bike.

AA has nailed it

I have one GS that does, maybe a half a litre in 2500-3000 miles and one GS that never has used a drop between 6000m services

Guess which one I have owned from new:augie

I think the post was more - the usual 'bon motte' that people love to introduce to a thread.............

Was down in Gorge de Verdon a few years ago, and saw a half-full (ltr) bottle of oil - on top of one of the dumpsters, which was close-ish to the spec used by my pal in his 1150GS. It was clean, seemingly unused oil - so he used it to top up.

Why not? :D

Indeed and I bet the bike ran fine

You can buy 1litre of specific bike oil, in most garages
10/40w
20/50w
5/30w

Any bike oil will mix with what's in there, any bike oil is better than none

BMW Specific - wtf is that?

BMW have got you hook,line and sinker:rolleyes:

BMW switched from Castrol to Shell, all to do with marketing and getting a better deal from the oil company

Did they consult you first?

Can you mix Shell and Castrol, of course you can

You are a tosser, sometimes .................with your overly anxious questions

Mate, I am laughing my ass of here.

No you are a tosser with your overly anxious posts on here. Shut the fuck up and go get some fresh air why don't you.

BMW do not have me hook line and sinker, I do all my own servicing and maintenance and own my bike outright. I haven't needed to see or speak to them since purchase day.

I'm buying a £19 pot and bracket for fucks sake, to hold some oil I already own, which is specific to my motorcycle.

Empty your coin box and go get laid... you really need to. :D

Mate, I am laughing my ass of here.

No you are a tosser with your overly anxious posts on here. Shut the fuck up and go get some fresh air why don't you.

BMW do not have me hook line and sinker, I do all my own servicing and maintenance.

I'm buying a £19 pot and bracket for fucks sake, to hold some oil I already own, which is specific to my motorcycle.

Empty your coin box and go get laid... you really need to. :D

Oh I love it when you're riled

Comprehension ain't your strong point either

BTW, I am not your mate, got it:thumby:

Any, is better than low or no oil
Given the generous sump capacity on a BMW flat twin, one has to ask ones self, just what is low?
Unlike a car, the oil in the sump is not pushed sideways by centrifugal force on corners. Unless you are doing long distance wheelies, it would be nigh on impossible to starve the engine of oil unless the level got below half a litre.
Not that I have any desire to find out, but some people obsess about things which are, in real life, and irrelevance.
Thus, to put it in perspective:
I have a 13 year old R1200RT. I change the oil & filter each Autumn.
I did not check the oil in October before going on a 2 week Morocco trip, nor did I check the level when away.
I know there is always enough oil in the sump each year when I change it before winter lay up.
Don't obsess, just forget it.
Myke

Don't obsess, just forget it.
Myke

I try not to obsess, but I have time and I like planning. (thats my reply to your comment).

So moving on.... coming on here to talk about Oil (in any way shape or form) is like a session on the Jeremy Kyle show with DNA Results and 10 CSA phone calls waiting.

I have the option to carry a small £19 pot of oil on my bike in case I need it while away on a mini tour.

So get slagged off for not riding my bike properly, fuck you. lol :D

Absolute fucking twats.

I try not to obsess, but I have time and I like planning. (thats my reply to your comment).

So moving on.... coming on here to talk about Oil (in any way shape or form) is like a session on the Jeremy Kyle show with DNA Results and 10 CSA phone calls waiting.

I have the option to carry a small £19 pot of oil on my bike in case I need it while away on a mini tour.

So get slagged off for not riding my bike properly, fuck you. lol :D

Absolute fucking twats.

You do ask for it sometimes though, with your banal videos and questions

You forget most of us who have been riding GS's for 20 years have seen it all before - Oil/Oil Consumption/Batteries going flat/Dirty legs/Luggage options et al??

You're a good sport though, you do male me chuckle with your angst ..... like Absolute fucking twats.

Thrashing away on your keyboard, writing insults

Don't waste your time - remember, we've seen it all before, with people far higher up the evolutionary scale

Maybe you need the coin box, in reality

However as I said, you're a good sport.....................so please do keep on giving, you make this site what it is.............but only for the time being

One day soon though, another of your sort will be along:D

You do ask for it sometimes though, with your banal videos and questions

No I don't ask for it at all.

You (and others) take it upon yourself to dish out the abuse because you've filtered out all the decent folk who arrive gang-banging them into leaving the site.

The ones that are left have gone through your abuse filter and either survived (God knows how) or end up just like you lot.

You've got nothing to be proud of here, and nothing to show for it either.

However as I said, you're a good sport....................

Gang-banging newbies isn't a sport, it's a sad sad twating lifestyle that you need to move on from. In my opinion. :D

But as I will expect, nobody will step in to back up this statement except the gang-banging zombie crowd to feast on it all. :rolleyes:

You (and others) take it upon yourself to dish out the abuse because you've filtered out all the decent folk who arrive gang-banging them into leaving the site.

The ones that are left have gone through your abuse filter and either survived (God knows how) or end up just like you lot.

Gang banging newbies isn't a sport, it's a sad sad twating lifestyle that you need to move on from. In my opinion. :D

If you say so...............darling

Gang-banging newbies isn't a sport, it's a sad sad twating lifestyle that you need to move on from. In my opinion. :D

But as I will expect, nobody will step in to back up this statement except the gang-banging zombie crowd to feast on it all. :rolleyes:

They have cabin fever, do not worry your reviews and tips are more than welcome.

Back
Top Bottom