Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency starter packs

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Emergency starter packs

This piece of kit is becoming more apparent in the media for starting your bike on a 'bad' day or charging up personal devices while on tour.

Checking Amazon and eBay shows a plethora of models from the EU, US and China.

But, from a motorcyclists point of view regarding output capacity to start up a flat twin on a cold day to being small enough to fit in a tankbag or pannier, which is the best on offer or best-buy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A GOAL is an end toward which some specific effort is directed!
    Go forth and prosper!

Maximum Mayhem Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugged Path View Post
    This piece of kit is becoming more apparent in the media for starting your bike on a 'bad' day or charging up personal devices while on tour.

Checking Amazon and eBay shows a plethora of models from the EU, US and China.

But, from a motorcyclists point of view regarding output capacity to start up a flat twin on a cold day to being small enough to fit in a tankbag or pannier, which is the best on offer or best-buy?

I can't recommend a bike specific one but I bought one of these from Amazon last year when it was on offer as the previous year I stupidly managed to flatten the bike battery by charging all my electronic stuff from it. I haven't used it to start the bike yet but I now charge everything from it then recharge it when we go out. It's a bit on the big side really, as it's also capable of starting a large vehicle engine (allegedly), but it will fit my tank bag and is quite happy in a panier. I left it in the car at the airport when we went away for 2 weeks, just in case, great for piece of mind.

2k R1150GS '05 MX-5 1.8
    Ok, so I could only be young once; but I can be immature forever!

Second that. Got similar one a couple of years ago. Mines a DBPowerhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-800.../dp/B01N9P36P6
    Must have used it half a dozen times on not just my bike but friends and stranded bikes. Last was a guy with a dead VStrom on ferry to Zeebruge in the summer.
    Money isn't everything.But it keeps the kids intouch

Ted, you say similar!
    I again looked on eBay and they show a wide price variation and peak amperage differences for the models on offer.
    I would imagine a flat or V twin would need a high mAh to get it started.
    Maybe ride magazine have done a test review on them, will check.
    Otherwise, without using a blindfold and finger to choose one, it seems plenty of forum members have opted for their favourite.
    Let us know what.

Go forth and prosper!

This is the one I have:

http://thejumpingjack.com/product/su...table-charger/

I've started a KTM 990 Super Duke and an SV1000 (both lumpy twins) with it several times and it's well up to the task. Also comes with cables to charge mini/micro usb and apple devices. Packs up pretty small too. Only downside is that the socket to charge the pack itself is non-standard so you have to bring the wall charger with you when going on longer trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Second that. Got similar one a couple of years ago. Mines a DBPowerhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-800.../dp/B01N9P36P6
    Must have used it half a dozen times on not just my bike but friends and stranded bikes. Last was a guy with a dead VStrom on ferry to Zeebruge in the summer.
    I've got the same one, not had to use it yet but nice to see someone has used one successfully. Used the USB port to charge my Sena 10u when camping. Sits in the top box on the GSA ready if needed.

Hatcho, that one looks ideal for a bike

Only downside is that the socket to charge the pack itself is non-standard so you have to bring the wall charger with you when going on longer trips
    Is it not possible to charge it from the 12v bike supply?

2k R1150GS '05 MX-5 1.8

Just make sure your bike battery is replaced when it gets old and you'll never need one of these things.

I have a Cobra Jumpack and I've used it a couple of times on the bike, works brilliantly although make sure that you can get a good purchase on the bike's battery connections otherwise the starter packs are as good as useless. I contacted Cobra directly and they've send me an additional crocodile clip lead to be hard wired into the bike, belt and braces!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeen GS View Post
    Just make sure your bike battery is replaced when it gets old and you'll never need one of these things.
    You never carry it for yourself, it's to help others.
    Just like having a tyre plug repair kit in your pannier :-).

Go forth and prosper!

Quote Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post

The blurb says it comes with a 12v charger as well.

I have this one.
    http://www.costco.co.uk/view/search?...ar+Accessories
    Comes in a nice neat pouch.
    As well as the jump lead socket, it has a standard USB output for charging phones etc.
    The unit input is a micro-usb so can be charged from a multitude of sources.

Quote Originally Posted by AberdeenAngus View Post
    The blurb says it comes with a 12v charger as well.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Looks like a nice little unit

2k R1150GS '05 MX-5 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post

My bad, it does indeed come with a 12v cigarette lighter style plug (which has been sitting in the box since I bought it!) - so you can charge it directly from the bike. It's even better than I thought it was!!

I use of these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/68800mAh-1....c100011.m1850

Started my 1150 a couple of times when the battery went bad....started the wifes diesel citroen when she left the lights on....I've used it to run a couple of 12v appliances and charged phones via the USB ports...my only gripe is when charging phones etc. it doesnt auto turn itself off when the phone is fully charged. All in all a useful piece of kit which has become a good addition to my panniers.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I've got a similar thing, never realised they existed until a few months ago. Purchased one and since then I've started several bikes, a diesel mini tractor and use it on every trip to charge up two phones and two headsets. It fits nicely in tank bag, comes with charger and USB ports. Why would you not carry one? Brilliant thing to carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast