Emergency starter packs

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This piece of kit is becoming more apparent in the media for starting your bike on a 'bad' day or charging up personal devices while on tour.

9c65bb357ca761e2a578928a8ea6834d.jpg

Checking Amazon and eBay shows a plethora of models from the EU, US and China.

But, from a motorcyclists point of view regarding output capacity to start up a flat twin on a cold day to being small enough to fit in a tankbag or pannier, which is the best on offer or best-buy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This piece of kit is becoming more apparent in the media for starting your bike on a 'bad' day or charging up personal devices while on tour.

9c65bb357ca761e2a578928a8ea6834d.jpg

Checking Amazon and eBay shows a plethora of models from the EU, US and China.

But, from a motorcyclists point of view regarding output capacity to start up a flat twin on a cold day to being small enough to fit in a tankbag or pannier, which is the best on offer or best-buy?

I can't recommend a bike specific one but I bought one of these from Amazon last year when it was on offer as the previous year I stupidly managed to flatten the bike battery by charging all my electronic stuff from it. I haven't used it to start the bike yet but I now charge everything from it then recharge it when we go out. It's a bit on the big side really, as it's also capable of starting a large vehicle engine (allegedly), but it will fit my tank bag and is quite happy in a panier. I left it in the car at the airport when we went away for 2 weeks, just in case, great for piece of mind.

ac5645297b395626435dd8f553951bde.jpg

Ted, you say similar!
I again looked on eBay and they show a wide price variation and peak amperage differences for the models on offer.
I would imagine a flat or V twin would need a high mAh to get it started.
Maybe ride magazine have done a test review on them, will check.
Otherwise, without using a blindfold and finger to choose one, it seems plenty of forum members have opted for their favourite.
Let us know what.

This is the one I have:

http://thejumpingjack.com/product/superlite-portable-charger/

I've started a KTM 990 Super Duke and an SV1000 (both lumpy twins) with it several times and it's well up to the task. :thumb2 Also comes with cables to charge mini/micro usb and apple devices. Packs up pretty small too. Only downside is that the socket to charge the pack itself is non-standard so you have to bring the wall charger with you when going on longer trips. :rolleyes:

Second that. Got similar one a couple of years ago. Mines a DBPowerhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-8000mAh-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B01N9P36P6
Must have used it half a dozen times on not just my bike but friends and stranded bikes. Last was a guy with a dead VStrom on ferry to Zeebruge in the summer.

I've got the same one, not had to use it yet but nice to see someone has used one successfully. Used the USB port to charge my Sena 10u when camping. Sits in the top box on the GSA ready if needed.

Hatcho, that one looks ideal for a bike

Only downside is that the socket to charge the pack itself is non-standard so you have to bring the wall charger with you when going on longer trips

Is it not possible to charge it from the 12v bike supply?

I have a Cobra Jumpack and I've used it a couple of times on the bike, works brilliantly although make sure that you can get a good purchase on the bike's battery connections otherwise the starter packs are as good as useless. I contacted Cobra directly and they've send me an additional crocodile clip lead to be hard wired into the bike, belt and braces!

Hatcho, that one looks ideal for a bike

Is it not possible to charge it from the 12v bike supply?

My bad, it does indeed come with a 12v cigarette lighter style plug (which has been sitting in the box since I bought it!) - so you can charge it directly from the bike. It's even better than I thought it was!! :thumb2

I use of these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/68800mAh-12V-Auto-Jump-Starter-Car-Emergency-Charger-Booster-Power-Bank-Battery/311686953795?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D45564%26meid%3D528c3555c7a94efe96da00d59ade0d80%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D232207955629&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Started my 1150 a couple of times when the battery went bad....started the wifes diesel citroen when she left the lights on....I've used it to run a couple of 12v appliances and charged phones via the USB ports...my only gripe is when charging phones etc. it doesnt auto turn itself off when the phone is fully charged. All in all a useful piece of kit which has become a good addition to my panniers. :thumb2

I've got a similar thing, never realised they existed until a few months ago. Purchased one and since then I've started several bikes, a diesel mini tractor and use it on every trip to charge up two phones and two headsets. It fits nicely in tank bag, comes with charger and USB ports. Why would you not carry one? Brilliant thing to carry.

I've got a similar thing, never realised they existed until a few months ago. Purchased one and since then I've started several bikes, a diesel mini tractor and use it on every trip to charge up two phones and two headsets. It fits nicely in tank bag, comes with charger and USB ports. Why would you not carry one? Brilliant thing to carry.

Which model Rich?

I am taking Amazon reviews with a pinch of salt. Amazing how a product gets lots of both 1 and 5 stars.

Energizer lithium polymer 7500mAh car jump starter kit. On eBay at around £45. It's the size of an iPhone and I bought a case to carry it and a selection of leads. Just remembered that it charges by USB and I bought a cheap three pin USB charger separately and keep it in bag. Can't recommend this highly enough.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Ted, you say similar!
I again looked on eBay and they show a wide price variation and peak amperage differences for the models on offer.
I would imagine a flat or V twin would need a high mAh to get it started.
Maybe ride magazine have done a test review on them, will check.
Otherwise, without using a blindfold and finger to choose one, it seems plenty of forum members have opted for their favourite.
Let us know what.

Mine is a fairly small capacity one as these things go 8000mAH and was not to expensive, think mine was about £36 in 2015, never started a car with total flat battery. But seems to cope ok with bikes like GS twin. Have used it to start couple of bikes that were so flat ignition lights went out when pressing starter. One was an older 1150 gsa. left his ignition on when messing with lights. Other was a newer XR, similar story. Both started within a couple of turns. Stored power did drop to 50% on GSA. As said used on a guys Vstrom on ferry. He left his ignition on as he was getting ready and chatting, came to start and would hardly turn over. Started his bike at first touch. Do a bit of camping and real help when used as a power pack for thing like phone, tablet or bluetooth units. For price happy so far. The AntiGraveity ones are without doubt the best, lots of reviews, videos on ADV forum but you would expect it for the price.

Back
Top Bottom