How hot should it all get?

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right. In a couple of days I'm heading home. One of those 'get it over with' journeys, about 600 miles a day.

I've just been out to fuel up and check the bike over as it's been standing for a few days whilst I sun my beautiful body. But because I guess I'm still a little spooked but the FD bearing failure at the beginning of this trip, I'm a little paranoid.

Locking up the bike I found myself touching the rear wheel rim and it was the hot side of warm. The hub is about the same as is the FD, swingarm and caliper. You can touch everything and is about the same temp.

It's about 34 degrees here, little wind and even I'm sweating while riding. So it's hot. I can wheel the bike around by hand no problem, so the rear caliper is not binding (one thought I had) and the pads move freely enough.

I think I'm being paranoid. But I've never actually stopped to feel the temperature of the rear end components straight after a ride.

Any thoughts on this? I know it's a bit abstract as hot to me might just be warm to you. But I'm interested if anyone else has better experience of this. I'm thinking the uniform temp suggests it's just like that because it's hot down here?

In 34 degrees and sunshine and standing for a few days I bet that it was all hot to touch before you went out to fuel up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done a little searching and based on the chart below, i'd hazard a guess that all the rear end drive components were somewhere around the 40 degrees mark. In an effort to convince myself all is well, i am going with the theory that being at the rear (therefore taking on a lot of the heat flowing off the engine/gearbox) and the ambient temp being high, that things are fine.

But if anyone has experienced this also, I'm interested to hear!

Sorry. Chart below.

8fc93c75fbec73257a49b97b8d19d0b1.jpg

In 34 degrees and sunshine and standing for a few days I bet that it was all hot to touch before you went out to fuel up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, you've got a point

As I said. A tad paranoid. I checked the tyre pressure too at the time and the rear had gone up about 3-4psi (to about 43psi). So that was inside 'normal' after half an hour of spirited ride.

But the chart is an interesting guide.

I would only worry when you get "protein coagulation".

Until then, just ride it. Its fine.

the paralever, final drive will get warm, the gears meshing and the oil churning.
When I first felt my paralever and it was warm, that surprised me some what but its fine.

Its not too hot where you are, 40oC here in Aus at times is on the warm side, I dont ride often when it is like that, but have done, and I know others do though

sounds ok to me

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I think the bit that caught me out was the rim being the same temperature. But then I've never deliberately felt it after riding. What threw me was it being a spoked wheel, i couldn't see how temp from the FD would reach the rim. Which is when i began to compare all the parts and they were all much the same (i'd say the tyre was a fraction cooler by comparison - but still very warm).

I will see how it feels as i stop for fuel in the Alps. I'm expecting to catch a little rain, but at the least much cooler temperatures. It will be interesting to feel the difference - and this time it will be loaded with luggage, so I would expect some extra heat on the rear wheel...

Do they worry in Norway during the winter months that their bikes are cold to the touch..

How do they test it, put their tongue onto it?

I'm glad the paranoia works both ways

I've just stopped at a cafe. Some local bikes paled up outside. I went and took a feel of the rims on the rear wheels.

Wow. Hot! Just as per mine. Admittedly they had cast wheels, but all the components were about the same.

So I've now got an idea of how much heat the rear end gets. I'm surprised.

In hot countries, bike tyres and batteries have a short lifespan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Makes sense.

It's weird I've never noticed before though. Clearly just been enjoying the bike

For peace of mind you are going to have book an appointment with Dr.Steptoe on your return. He will duly check both your temperature and prostrate using BMW blunt tool part number '#vpg98hj093##[[....and all will be good :D

For peace of mind you are going to have book an appointment with Dr.Steptoe on your return. He will duly check both your temperature and prostrate using BMW blunt tool part number '#vpg98hj093##[[....and all will be good :D

I hope he uses the correct oil when doing that!!!

Back
Top Bottom