Front fork loose?

GSJones

Reaction score
Just a quick question.
Was giving everything a once over and noticed that one of the feont forks can rotate while the other won't. The whole silver fork including the nut on the top rotates. Does the plastic cap on the top need to come off to tighten it or should it be like that?
Thanks

Btw mine is a september 2013 bike so not subject to the stanchion issues.

maybe this is the issue, its about 2013 models.

2013 BMW R 1200 GS Recall

BMW has recalled a few 2013 R1200GS adventure motorcycles due to an insufficient torque of a locking bolt that may cause the front fork tube to loosen.

BMW says only only 15 R1200GS motorcycles are affected. The bikes were manufacturers from Jan. 9 through Feb. 8, 2013.

BMW says if the fork loosens it may hinder the rider’s ability to control the motorcycle, increasing the risk of a crash.

BMW will notify owners and dealers will reinforce the affected fork locking bolt connections, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in April 2013. Owners may call BMW at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

Given that the recall started in 2013 and i bought mine from a dealer i doubt it wouldn't have been sorted if it was that particular issue.

How is the plastic cap removed?

Rotation should be normal. Any play is not. The top of the fork tube has a threaded stud going through a bush, which is secured by a nut under the plastic cap.

Thanks for that . Didn't want to force it if it wasn't a pop off. Thought rotation was normal as the nut will probably be rotating as well or i would have seen some loosening when rotating the fork. There's no play. I just thought i'd gain some reassurance as one fork will rotate and the other won't (not tried to twist too hard though). Might pop the cap off and just check the top nut with a socket.

If you do find it lose, you will need a 22mm oe spanner to hold the tube from turning to tighten it.

I have a full set of spanners, including a 22! I'll have a look in the morning. Thank you Victor.

There was no negative inference meant at all. As noted in that same post, I'm very grateful for the help. Any more info you have would be very gratefully received.

There was no negative inference meant at all. As noted in that same post, I'm very grateful for the help. Any more info you have would be very gratefully received.

No problem its

40nm for the top nut, screw plug facing out this is at the top of the fork leg just below the nut you hold with a spanner to stop the fork from turning looks like a hole in the image it also says use BMW thread lock or Loctite 2701 on the top nut

The fact the BMW RSD disc says align the screw plug would suggest the fork stantion should not rotate in the top yoke when tightened ?

Thanks Steve. Yes, that makes sense regarding the screw plug. The other fork is fixed in that position.

No problem its

40nm for the top nut, screw plug facing out this is at the top of the fork leg just below the nut you hold with a spanner to stop the fork from turning looks like a hole in the image it also says use BMW thread lock or Loctite 2701 on the top nut

The fact the BMW RSD disc says align the screw plug would suggest the fork stantion should not rotate in the top yoke when tightened ?

Even with the securing nut torqued up, the tube will still rotate with light force.

Even with the securing nut torqued up, the tube will still rotate with light force.

No idea the information is direct from the BMW RSD disc if it should turn why would it say align the screw plug.

Does the rubber bush turn in the yoke or the fork mount turn in the bush ?

No idea the information is direct from the BMW RSD disc if it should turn why would it say align the screw plug.

Does the rubber bush turn in the yoke or the fork mount turn in the bush ?

The bush is captive in the yoke, with the fork tube stud turning in it (it has a plain shank where it goes through the bush). Been out for a run of just over 200 miles today and mine have rotated just with normal road riding.

Checked the nut today and it was tight as should be. Both forks actually rotated so as Victor says, it seems normal.

As for the positioning, the stiffer fork actually had the screw plug facing in, so not sure why BMW are being specific there, apart from it being a reference point when tightening the nut.

Thanks for all your help. Just come back from a quick ride. Don't you just love summer?!

Although I am a "do it youreself" person, on such an important matter I would have it double checked at the dealership...

Both of mine spin easy, and have done for the last 77000 miles, just normal

Back
Top Bottom