Bike Choices - BMW, Ducati or KTM?

Rubicon

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing another bike having been away from biking for a year or two. My last bike was a BMW R 1150 GSA and I loved it. However, looking at my budget (circa £10-12k) I see there are a few bikes available to me that fall into this price bracket for a pre-owned bike and wondered if I listed what I'm looking at anyone on here can add something to the conversation based on previous experiences with any of these bikes.

My initial thoughts were to buy a pre-owned low mileage R1200 GSA, but having read up on some of its competitors I'm also now looking at a Ducati Multistrada 1200S, A Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, a KTM 1290 Super Adventure and the BMW S1000XR.

Has anytone any experience of these other bikes? Good and bad points?

Thanks

Those are all very different bikes !!
Odd that your deliberations haven't focussed on a particular sector or type of bike !
The V Strom is much loved by owners , but totally outclassed by the other three in every respect. Give it a miss

You'll get a thousand different answers.
Just try them yourself and decide what suits you best.
Try a Kawasaki Versys 1000 too.Great bikes and very underrated-£1000s cheaper than the BMW/KTM/Ducati.
I know people with Vstroms too.Also very good and much better value than the posh stuff.But most people diss them without having ever ridden one.See above !

Forget the multistrada unless it's still got 2 years warranty.

If you have been without a bike for a while, any of these will feel good.
Dont bother too much with reviews or recommendations.
Try before you buy and take the one that gives you the best gut feeling.

Going by your budget...... have a look at a nearly new Aprilia Caponord Rally and Yamaha Super Tenere and you could put a few thousand in the piggy bank for trips.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

+1 for the Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere. An excellent bike for the money. :thumb

Don't forget the Crosstourer, you could get a 2016 for less than your 10k

yep as a few say, try before you buy you will get a nice bike for that type of cash if you do some research

Sorry, I don't get the reasoning behind your request.

To me there is no way I'd buy a bike I didn't WANT i.e. lust after:cool:.

Whats the point, thats a lot of money to spunk on errrr….just something that is good and people like it.

I mean…..where's the fucking passion.:D

Try a Triumph

For £10900 you can have a brand spanking new Tiger Sport 1050 or even cheaper 2016 models with low milages widely available :rob
Try one as a very mixed bag of all the trio your asking about ,you may be surprised :thumb2

So there you have it.

Fifteen bikes that everybody says is best !

Once you've made your decision,pop back in and ask Wapping where you should head on your new steed.:aidan

Forget all those and get yourself a nice new old stock Yamaha FJR 1300 for the same money. Bullet proof and proven !

For 12k you might just be able to find yourself a generation 2 Triumph explorer XCX, to me without doubt the best all-round bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a few.

For 10k you could get the best Guzzi Stelvio there is, to me without doubt the second best bike I've ever owned.

Forget all those and get yourself a nice new old stock Yamaha FJR 1300 for the same money. Bullet proof and proven !

Fine if you are not too tall, I'm 6ft and found the FJR too cramped.

I wouldn't discount the Multistrada, having owned one, very exciting to ride compared with the others.

KTM SA, great ride but build quality and chain put me off.

Yamaha Super Tenere should be considered.

For me you struggle to beat the GS, but that's just my opinion, you need to ride them to decide. Plenty of knockers even on here.

I'm looking at purchasing another bike having been away from biking for a year or two. My last bike was a BMW R 1150 GSA and I loved it. However, looking at my budget (circa £10-12k) I see there are a few bikes available to me that fall into this price bracket for a pre-owned bike and wondered if I listed what I'm looking at anyone on here can add something to the conversation based on previous experiences with any of these bikes.

My initial thoughts were to buy a pre-owned low mileage R1200 GSA, but having read up on some of its competitors I'm also now looking at a Ducati Multistrada 1200S, A Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, a KTM 1290 Super Adventure and the BMW S1000XR.

Has anytone any experience of these other bikes? Good and bad points?

Thanks

For 10 grand, you could have my 1995 , 1100 GS. 36 thou, 1 owner , good nick; if you're determined to spend that much, I feel obliged to try and help.:D. The choice is endless; just go for the one you think you will look back at, as you walk away.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom