Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New K 1600 - good deal

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyBMW View Post
    Motorrad Dundee gave me one as a courtesy bike yesterday.
    I have always dismissed them as a "bit of a barge".
    I had a whale of a day on it. So easy to ride. So much torque the gears can be irrelevant at times! The engine is very quiet but the exhaust note is like being followed by a bevvy of sport bikes. I loved it........ but my GS is staying
    Thanks all. Braintree looks like being the closest for me. Will drop Adam a line. ...and no, my GS is not being sold. I'm keeping this one.
    I am still deciding with my 1997 BMW RC 850 Cruiser which only has 22K KM on the clock is ridden maybe once a year and is in mint condition......Not sure what I can expect to get for it.......

looks tooo big to me and to long!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sheene View Post
    I thought that until I test rode one for 6 hours, it is so easy to handle !!

Quote Originally Posted by sheene View Post
    Assuming you are talking about the K1600 and not your new boyfriend's appendage, give one a go. You'll be surprised at how well and easily the bike handles, belying its 320 kg weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Assuming you are talking about the K1600 and not your new boyfriend's appendage, give one a go. You'll be surprised at how well and easily the bike handles, belying its 320 kg weight.
    The only thing I was worried about was the width but at 1,000 mm inc mirrors it's not too bad (I do like a good safe filter).
    RT Width 983 mm
    GSA Width 980 mm

Beaky Farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by grantmac View Post
    Thanks all. Braintree looks like being the closest for me. Will drop Adam a line. ...and no, my GS is not being sold. I'm keeping this one.
    I am still deciding with my 1997 BMW RC 850 Cruiser which only has 22K KM on the clock is ridden maybe once a year and is in mint condition......Not sure what I can expect to get for it.......
    I just noticed you live in den haag.
    Are you not going to be stung for import duties and BTW by the belastingsdienst? Is it really so much more expensive to buy in Holland?

I had to jump through hoops when I moved to Assen to prove we'd owned our bikes for 3 years+ so we could import them as gods and chattels and so pay no duty. Then I had to have it checked out by the RDW before I could put it on dutch plates.

It was alledged back then (2004) that the police kept tabs on foreign plates to ensure that expats were going through the proper import processes.

...gods and chattels and so
    Awesome possibly but gods, that's really pushing it. And pushing it is not something you'd not want to do very far with a 1600.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyBMW View Post
    I just noticed you live in den haag.
    Are you not going to be stung for import duties and BTW by the belastingsdienst? Is it really so much more expensive to buy in Holland?

I had to jump through hoops when I moved to Assen to prove we'd owned our bikes for 3 years+ so we could import them as gods and chattels and so pay no duty. Then I had to have it checked out by the RDW before I could put it on dutch plates.

It was alledged back then (2004) that the police kept tabs on foreign plates to ensure that expats were going through the proper import processes.
    Yup, the price difference with current exchange rate is huge. 22K GBP versus 33K Euro.
    With me moving to London shortly (November) I will buy it on UK plates.
    Could be things have changed but I have a lot of friends in The Hague police (voluntary work on my part to help them out now and again) and they stated the opposite. The don't care about plates not even if you are stopped for an offense. Its the""Douane" (or customs) that look out vigilantly for the foreign plates and will stop you to ask questions. This they do on behalf of the tax authorities, however with so many foreign nationals living in the Hague they really cant keep tabs. If you live outside The Hague, particularly Rotterdam they tend to be a bit more strict.

Yup, the price difference with current exchange rate is huge. 22K GBP versus 33K Euro.
    With me moving to London shortly (November) I will buy it on UK plates.
    Denmark, (or was it Sweden - the country with really high purchase taxes), used to be the place to buy Bikes tax free and them bring into and pay taxes in the UK/Holland
    paragon

I've been looking at 2012/13 K1600GTs - they sure depreciate faster than a GS - trying to avoid the many 2011s for sale as hopefully some of the initial gremlins will be sorted on the later ones.
    Dogs welcome

A BMW mechanic told me the K13 is only just slightly less than the K16 but it's so much lighter and handles so much better as a result. It hasn't go the bling and sound track but he thinks it's by far the better bike. Yer pays yer munny - etc
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Like the K13gt though most are well used by now, it's fairly unusual to find a low miles one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogs welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bendy toy View Post
    A BMW mechanic told me the K13 is only just slightly less than the K16 but it's so much lighter and handles so much better as a result. It hasn't go the bling and sound track but he thinks it's by far the better bike. Yer pays yer munny - etc
    A mate told me that the mechanic is talking out of his arse.

PS Mechanic has K13 he wants to flog.

Following a new path Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Doesn't Triumph have a 2.3 litre 3 cyclinder.......called the Rocket appropriately.......
    Not any more..... not EIV compliant.
    Coming Soon: "Sands of Time" .... A Dali based homage to a Sand Racing Evo....

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    if you look at the bhp (per tonne) that smaller engines pump out there is no need for bigger engines, especially on a motor Bike ....... totally stupid and just a ego stroker ... they do "nobody any good" ....... totally idiotic, primitive even
    Jesus. Let's all get wrapped up in cotton wool and eat apple pie...

Do yourself a favour and take this fantastic piece of engineering for a spin. Report back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12