Retro fit Hill Start Control

Just to clear up some of the comments in here regarding Hill Hold, it's not just a software upgrade. The dealer needs to order a code which enables the option in the bike. It's enabled via a retrofit process and at the very end it requires a file to be imported with the code called a Vehicle Order. The ABS (others too) ECU is then encoded with the new option.

The reason the software upgrade occurs is the dealer probably has the latest bike software version (i-level) and will not let them program/encode the bike until it's upgraded.

Had mine 'retro fitted' during the bikes fork recall in March. They came and picked up the bike and then delivered it back a few days later. £245 ish.

Unfortunately the HHC does not activate so I've got take the bike back in tomorrow..150 mile round trip..least its supposed to be sunny..but i have got other things to do!

Just to clear up some of the comments in here regarding Hill Hold, it's not just a software upgrade. The dealer needs to order a code which enables the option in the bike. It's enabled via a retrofit process and at the very end it requires a file to be imported with the code called a Vehicle Order. The ABS (others too) ECU is then encoded with the new option.

The reason the software upgrade occurs is the dealer probably has the latest bike software version (i-level) and will not let them program/encode the bike until it's upgraded.

I'm not sure what to call it, but as far as I know, the upgrade is 100% software.

I know a guy that did it by using his ICOM. No activation code required.

He activated the HillHold option and reloaded the software for the ABS.
There are also postings on advrider that describes the very same thing.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bmw-gsaw-2017-and-hills-assistant-retrofit.1194070/page-2 Post #28

But I think it is correct that the dealer gets a code from BMW in order to be able to download some software.

The thing is, if you are a DIY guy buing a ICOM you get all your software installed on your disk, and whatever version you get is what you have.

The dealer on the other hand logs on to BMW computer and always get the very latest version, for what it's worth.
The dealer is stuck to the BMW way (guess it's a take it or leave deal) and their software requires a activation code of some sort. In realoem.com the retrofit is a picture of a cd that they call "Enabling code".

I haven’t mastered the HSC yet either. The amount of revs required to release is significant. Maybe this can be adjusted?

Have just read that a positive release of the clutch maybe the trick. I have to say I get the clutch to the biting point of tension and keep applying revs in a Santa Pod stylee until release. Not confidence inspiring.

I haven’t mastered the HSC yet either. The amount of revs required to release is significant. Maybe this can be adjusted?

Have just read that a positive release of the clutch maybe the trick. I have to say I get the clutch to the biting point of tension and keep applying revs in a Santa Pod stylee until release. Not confidence inspiring.

All you have to do is squeeze the brake lever and the HSC is turned off - magic...

I'm not sure what to call it, but as far as I know, the upgrade is 100% software.

I know a guy that did it by using his ICOM. No activation code required.

He activated the HillHold option and reloaded the software for the ABS.
There are also postings on advrider that describes the very same thing.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bmw-gsaw-2017-and-hills-assistant-retrofit.1194070/page-2 Post #28

But I think it is correct that the dealer gets a code from BMW in order to be able to download some software.

The thing is, if you are a DIY guy buing a ICOM you get all your software installed on your disk, and whatever version you get is what you have.

The dealer on the other hand logs on to BMW computer and always get the very latest version, for what it's worth.
The dealer is stuck to the BMW way (guess it's a take it or leave deal) and their software requires a activation code of some sort. In realoem.com the retrofit is a picture of a cd that they call "Enabling code".

Yeah it's not, if you get it done from a dealer they need to order a code. It then gets loaded into ISTA via a retrofit process and asked them for the Vehicle Order file at the end before they can commence the Measures Plans

I know the other thing you are talking about but I'm talking about getting it done via a dealer. DIY is a different method as you commented in your post.

Very easy to get around the version of ISTA, and it's data, via various sources.

So has anyone on here successfully done a DIY job on this activation?

Yes, it's been done. Should be doable on any water cooled boxer plus the K1600

Ok great, anyone confident enough to work on someone elses bike? Is it simple enough?

Ok great, anyone confident enough to work on someone elses bike? Is it simple enough?

It's simple if you know what you're doing but you can easily mess up the ECU badly.

You need the right equipment and software though. I would not recommend it unless you have done this type of work before or come from an IT background.

When a retrofit option is requested by a customer the dealer includes the enabling code in the quote. The enabling code is a fixed price but dealers augment the price, that is why there will always be price differential.

I had this retrofitted to my 2017 Euro4 GSA today. Really easy to use.

Pull brake lever while stationary with engine running. Handbrake applied.

Squeeze brake lever again to disengage and off you go.

Bloody brilliant.

Weirdly reassuring to have a handbrake on a motorcycle.

Just a quick question how much do it cost you

It's probably best if you call your dealer and ask them.

It could cost anywhere between £200 to £300 depending how they charge for it.

I had this retrofitted to my 2017 Euro4 GSA today. Really easy to use.

Pull brake lever while stationary with engine running. Handbrake applied.

Squeeze brake lever again to disengage and off you go.

Bloody brilliant.

Weirdly reassuring to have a handbrake on a motorcycle.

Needs a bit of practice on a slope first, and fully loaded gotta give it the bollocks in revs or you will stall, but once you have the feeling, it is bloody awesome, specially after a long day riding, and you are hanging on a Swiss pass waiting for the other cars and buses to pass. down

The 1250 hill hold is supposed to work more smoothly than the 1200 hill hold, can the 1250 version be retro fitted to my 2018 Rallye TE?

Maybe 2 different softwares and the latter is improved to make is upgrade, smoother or not it will not make me sell my 2017 bike.

Back
Top Bottom