Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Retro fit Hill Start Control

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Had Hill hold done thursday, basic late 2014 gs, easy to release on flat or hills keeps the bike still without holding the brake constantly,
    Roamer

FatBiker 66 Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Had Hill retrofitted when in for a service at Lind last week. After Steve explained it to me, I made a knob of myself. Had a go setting it on flat, Slight problem - The front wheel was a foot from the showroom wall.

Switch on and off and wheel bike back

I own the bike, no HP/PCP etc and aim to keep for a long time. Reason got it was had two close calls in last two weeks - fully loaded with hill starts on weird cambers. As I am a short arse too I took the plunge to see if it helps. Have used four times since and no problems. If I had to put it in the order of bits I have bought it would still be:
    1 Side stand extender
    2 highlight guard
    3 Rad guards
    4 Pinch pin and chain
    5 Hilltop
    6 Hex Ezcan
    7 Road lock
    8 Fender extender and crud catcher
    9. Quad lock fone holder
    10. Bark Busters
    11 MRA screen

Don't have road noise from the Ankakees so kept them on.

Any cash left then £200 hill start

Mike

No need to turn off and start again, just squeeze the brake again and it de activates,
    You dont have to drive off the hold function,

Had it fitted today along with latest GSAP software. Love it.
    When the bike is facing up or down hill. Easy to turn on and off with the front brake 🖒

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's good to be back .. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Had it fitted to my 2017 TB just before Christmas, I use it regularly at traffic lights.

Am still finding some of the idiosyncrasies of the system - now know that if I engage HSC and then put the bike in neutral HSC stays engaged but it can't be engaged whilst the bike is in neutral.
    Retired, at last, time to see the World!

Does engaging hill hold put the brake light on?
    Alan R

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R View Post
    Does engaging hill hold put the brake light on?
    Alan R
    Anyone?
    AlanR

Yes it does on 2018 gs exclusive

Does it stay on when you turn the ignition off?

Would be a great way to stop theft. Can't imagine the moped boys pushing it down the road with both brakes locked on....

Quote Originally Posted by matchlessman View Post
    Does it stay on when you turn the ignition off?.
    Dont think so.. see post 178
    Alan R

Quote Originally Posted by matchlessman View Post
    Does it stay on when you turn the ignition off?

Would be a great way to stop theft. Can't imagine the moped boys pushing it down the road with both brakes locked on....
    Best way to stop 'ride away' theft is to reverse the steering lock, so that steering is only engaged when ignition is on/ engine running. Without ignition the wheel and handle bars would operate independently. The bike could then never be pushed away via scooter etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crashhat View Post
    Best way to stop 'ride away' theft is to reverse the steering lock, so that steering is only engaged when ignition is on/ engine running. Without ignition the wheel and handle bars would operate independently. The bike could then never be pushed away via scooter etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    The current steering lock simply stops the complete bars/forks/wheel assembly from moving out of a full left lock position, but the bars, forks and wheel are at all times in a fixed relationship rigidly and permanently connected to each other. This is pretty much fail safe as if the locking mechanism fails the steering just remains unlocked, and if it tried to lock while the bike is moving this would not be possible unless the steering was on full lock - very unlikely to happen if the bike were moving other than being moved around manually, and in the unlikely event of using full lock while actually riding, it would necessarily be at very slow speed.

What you are suggesting, admittedly probably not as a serious proposal, is not a steering lock in a fixed steering arrangement, but something which makes an unfixed arrangement lock so that it can then be used to steer the bike. This would mean there is not a fixed rigid connection between bars, forks and wheel, so the bars are effectively disconnected from the wheel unless the lock is active. However, this still needs some form of lock, in this case one which would prevent the locking mechanism from engaging while parked, and presumably this could be broken by thieves just like the current steering locks, and if so it would then be possible to engage the locking mechanism, allowing the bike to be steered.

This sort of thing would be mechanically complex, and as well as potentially introducing slack into the steering would not be fail safe. I wouldn't fancy riding a bike where if the steering locking mechanism failed the bars would disconnect from the forks/wheel and I would be left with no way to steer the bike!

As well as the ability to activate brake locking while parked, maybe it would be useful to have some form of panic button which could be pressed in a hijack situation, which would use a hill start type mechanism to lock on the rear brake and would also disable the ignition, rendering the bike unusable to anyone, even the owner. I would suggest just the rear brake as this should be enough to stop the bike being pushed away. This would mean that even if thieves had gained possession of the key or keyless fob they would still be unable to unlock or start the bike. Of course this would be a bit of a problem for the owner too after a failed hijack attempt, but maybe there could be some sort of arrangement whereby the owner could be given a code on the dashboard after a delay of say 30 minutes, to provide to a helpdesk, and would in return be sent a PIN code to unlock the bike, subject to suitable arrangements to ensure that the owner was not requesting this under duress, though I would suggest that not many potential hijackers are going to want to hang around at the scene of such an incident for 30 minutes!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112