Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Retro fit Hill Start Control

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I had HSC on my RT LC and over about 18000 miles it was useful perhaps half a dozen times.

Typically it gave trivial benefits, such as allowing me to use my right hand to tug on a zip whilst I kept the bike in gear on the clutch. Like I said, trivial things.

If you're intimidated by the weight of the bike, or for some other reason have trouble operating the basic controls, then maybe it's worthwhile. But for most competent riders it's pretty pointless. I like my toys, but I shan't bother with this time.

Quote Originally Posted by daviedevs View Post
    Just had mine done today £175+ vat.

Bahnstormer have just quoted me £231.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Bahnstormer have just quoted me £231.
    were you in the Holden?

My MY18 replacement GSA TB after my first bike suffered had an engine fault with persistent stalling after 5 months of ownership has HSC. I would say for the price they are quoting, its not worth it. The reason I say that is to pull away with HSC activated you have to give a considerable amount of revs and you can feel the bike holding back on releasing, it just makes me feel uneasy or that i'm damaging the bike in someway. Don't get me wrong its perfect if you live in an area surrounded by hills but realistically with day to day riding its absolutely pointless.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    My dealer put it on my 2015 GSA last week with the service. They quoted £197 but took a tenner off when I asked politely.

On the way home I tried it out while waiting at traffic lights on a hill with pillion onboard. I put it in neutral and got both feet on the ground without doing the right-left-left-right dance, then stood up and stretched my legs and arms without dropping anything or anyone. Splendid.

For me, it makes life on the bike a little more comfortable and a little safer (slipping off the rear brake in that situation doesn’t bear thinking about), and that makes it worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We like the cruise control because if you a chance to relax your throttle hand and take the strain for you.
    Thats how I view HSC, another tool to use if you want it. I use it on slopes as an opportunity to open vents, adjust cuffs, stretch or any of the other many things that you need two hands (feet) for.
    I dont use it as a hill start aid, I use it as a hand brake, releasing it with the front brake before I pull away.

Is the hcs always on or can you disable it when you don't need it ?

You have to activate HCS by squeezing front brake lever. Not automatic! When its engaged it comes up green and as you pull away the symbol flashes yellow to show its deactivating.

Just to clear up some of the comments in here regarding Hill Hold, it's not just a software upgrade. The dealer needs to order a code which enables the option in the bike. It's enabled via a retrofit process and at the very end it requires a file to be imported with the code called a Vehicle Order. The ABS (others too) ECU is then encoded with the new option.

The reason the software upgrade occurs is the dealer probably has the latest bike software version (i-level) and will not let them program/encode the bike until it's upgraded.

Had mine 'retro fitted' during the bikes fork recall in March. They came and picked up the bike and then delivered it back a few days later. £245 ish.

Unfortunately the HHC does not activate so I've got take the bike back in tomorrow..150 mile round trip..least its supposed to be sunny..but i have got other things to do!

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Just to clear up some of the comments in here regarding Hill Hold, it's not just a software upgrade. The dealer needs to order a code which enables the option in the bike. It's enabled via a retrofit process and at the very end it requires a file to be imported with the code called a Vehicle Order. The ABS (others too) ECU is then encoded with the new option.

The reason the software upgrade occurs is the dealer probably has the latest bike software version (i-level) and will not let them program/encode the bike until it's upgraded.
    I'm not sure what to call it, but as far as I know, the upgrade is 100% software.

I know a guy that did it by using his ICOM. No activation code required.

He activated the HillHold option and reloaded the software for the ABS.
    There are also postings on advrider that describes the very same thing.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...1194070/page-2 Post #28

But I think it is correct that the dealer gets a code from BMW in order to be able to download some software.

The thing is, if you are a DIY guy buing a ICOM you get all your software installed on your disk, and whatever version you get is what you have.

The dealer on the other hand logs on to BMW computer and always get the very latest version, for what it's worth.
    The dealer is stuck to the BMW way (guess it's a take it or leave deal) and their software requires a activation code of some sort. In realoem.com the retrofit is a picture of a cd that they call "Enabling code".

I haven’t mastered the HSC yet either. The amount of revs required to release is significant. Maybe this can be adjusted?

Have just read that a positive release of the clutch maybe the trick. I have to say I get the clutch to the biting point of tension and keep applying revs in a Santa Pod stylee until release. Not confidence inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by G&T View Post
    I haven’t mastered the HSC yet either. The amount of revs required to release is significant. Maybe this can be adjusted?

Have just read that a positive release of the clutch maybe the trick. I have to say I get the clutch to the biting point of tension and keep applying revs in a Santa Pod stylee until release. Not confidence inspiring.
    All you have to do is squeeze the brake lever and the HSC is turned off - magic...

Quote Originally Posted by knutk View Post
    I'm not sure what to call it, but as far as I know, the upgrade is 100% software.

I know a guy that did it by using his ICOM. No activation code required.

He activated the HillHold option and reloaded the software for the ABS.
    There are also postings on advrider that describes the very same thing.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...1194070/page-2 Post #28

But I think it is correct that the dealer gets a code from BMW in order to be able to download some software.

The thing is, if you are a DIY guy buing a ICOM you get all your software installed on your disk, and whatever version you get is what you have.

The dealer on the other hand logs on to BMW computer and always get the very latest version, for what it's worth.
    The dealer is stuck to the BMW way (guess it's a take it or leave deal) and their software requires a activation code of some sort. In realoem.com the retrofit is a picture of a cd that they call "Enabling code".
    Yeah it's not, if you get it done from a dealer they need to order a code. It then gets loaded into ISTA via a retrofit process and asked them for the Vehicle Order file at the end before they can commence the Measures Plans

I know the other thing you are talking about but I'm talking about getting it done via a dealer. DIY is a different method as you commented in your post.

Very easy to get around the version of ISTA, and it's data, via various sources.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213