Spline Lubrication

I have Optimal Paste White T which is what Motorworks supply for the splines, however I also have an old tub of Duckhams LBM10 grease which seems more in line with the Molybdenum greases reccomended elswhere.

Why would people recommend Optimal when it doesn't seem to have any of the recommeded Molbdenum content?

People still use SG Dino oil, and it has been obsolete for 40 years--------------.
Lubes improved a lot when FWD cars became popular as the CV joints didnt last long with the lubes that were around at the time , failure within 15,000 km was not uncommon.
Now 300,000 km life is normal.
Triumph IRS sports cars had a seemingly incurable tendency to lock the spines in the driveshafts, and I remember the glee when we discovered that a Renault dealer had a product which let them slide- CV joint grease at 10 times the price of the usual stuff.
That was 40 years ago, seems the message hasnt reached most paralever owners yet, and they are still installing circlips on the mainshaft or whatever----.
Sealed transmission bearings arrived at around the same time, but they havent reached Airheads either----------------.

I have been using 'Optimol TA' - the thick silver/grey paste that I find to be excellent. Unfortunately Motobins have stopped stocking it and I haven't found any anywhere else (yet).

I still have about 1/3 of a tin but has anyone found a supplier ??

Bob.

Sachs, who make the OEM clutch, now sell a small sachet of lube for use when fitting it.
Munich MC in Oz has it, if you feel the need to re apply it.

Honda developed their Moly 60 spline lube because they couldn't find anything that worked to their satisfaction, and the fact that the splines are galling on the paralever bikes and pulling the shafts out of the gearboxes tells you that the BMW stuff doesnt work.

Most auto factors sell pattern replacement boots for CV joints on FWD cars and they usually have a decent sizes tube of the correct high moly lube to go with them, without the premium price we have to pay for bike stuff.

I think the Honda M60 was replaced by M77 which also appears to be same paste as Molykote M77.

M77 is a assembly paste, so may not be as good as preventing splines galling as product made for that purpose.
Some US BMW dealers now sell Guard Dog pastes, or something similar.
They are high moly compounds and are reputed to work well, but Google will take you to any number of alternatives,some are available in retail quantities!

M77 is a assembly paste, so may not be as good as preventing splines galling as product made for that purpose.
Some US BMW dealers now sell Guard Dog pastes, or something similar.
They are high moly compounds and are reputed to work well, but Google will take you to any number of alternatives,some are available in retail quantities!

Guard dog closed up shop in 2016, I cant find any of their GD525 or 575 anywhere. After getting a bit anal about the lube :eek: I think the loctite stuff with its 65% moly content is worth a go I'v e been pricing up the loctite 234227/8012/51048 stuff. Comes in smallest size of about 226g for about €41/£36 posted from USA so I might go for that and see if anyone wants to buy some of that off me as thats waay more than I'd ever need. Snowbum seems to think the loctite is worth a shot and raves about the guard dog stuff which is no longer available. Local engineering supplies place here can get me a bottle of loctite 8012 which is about 450g for €73/£64 but I was already stretching it trying to justify €41 for the smaller bottle of 51048 loctite. Wasn't life so muich simpler before the net, when I would just go into local bike shop and ask them to sell me whatever they had. :D

OK. 454g of the loctite ordered, probably a couple of weeks before I receive it. If anyone interested in getting some pm me and we'll work something out. I'll put some note in for sale section then too.

Back
Top Bottom