Accident / Breakdown recovery from Morocco ?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone taken out accident / breakdown recovery insurance for their bike in Morocco?

My insurance covers Europe but not further and Principal / Zenith won't extend it.

I have been in touch with ADAC but their reply was to look locally since I am not Germany-resident.

Tried a few UK websites but they require you to be UK resident.

Anyone solved this?

Bin

Really weird, if I was you I would go and talk to AXA, I use them and have no problem extending to somewhere not covered, just need to see my agent, but then I am resident so maybe that counts.

Are you going on this trip as well?

David offered the following suggestions:
We are using ADAC as recommended.
Myke

1. Green Card for third party motorcycle insurance covering Morocco between 23.10 and 03.11 inclusive. Some insurance companies will supply this free or for a very small fee. If your insurance company refuses to issue or provide a green card, don’t worry as third party insurance can be purchased at the point of entry. Also bring contact details for your insurance company and breakdown recovery. WRT breakdown recovery, we personally use the German based company ADAC. They offer a yearly breakdown policy for €90 approx which includes your motorcycle, car et

Hi Myke,

Yep, flying to Malaga on 22/10 FR7044 dep 1005.

I will buy insurance at border, no green card forthcoming from Principal / Zenith.

How did you process joining ADAC ?

Bin

Just a little bit of info, on all the motorways their are police with radars, everywhere, not a lot of beer to be found except in the Hotels, and the locals frown on this, stick to the tea, it is good, passport is already checked on the ferry, normally a little immigration policeman sitting in the corner, then when you get off you will hit customs, and loads of men saying a couple of euros will get you through quicker, its the normal way over there, everything is a little backhander, people are nice and friendly, if you are heading up towards the RIF, be a bit careful they are on edge at the moment, fighting with the GOV, and are paranoid of spies on their drug business, avoid chatting about politics with the locals, and as in Thailand do not mention the king or royal families name in anger, otherwise heartbreak hotel, you have more secret police on the streets than you can imagine, how do I know been their 4 times as Military adviser.

For the cost of the insurance, you might be as well taking a chance. If things go pear shaped then get a local with a van to get you back to Tangier Med, push the bike on and call the cavalry when get to Spain? There's no shortage of Mercedes vans over there, usually stacked to the gun whales with locals!

I wrote to ADAC last week and got a reply advising me to try to get cover from a local provider....

On the phone this morning, asked again about breakdown cover. "Only covers Europe". What about outside Europe, e.g. Morocco? "Including Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Algeria and Egypt".....

So I am going to write to them requesting Plus Membership for myself for 1 year for €84....

Service@ADAC.DE

I wrote to ADAC last week and got a reply advising me to try to get cover from a local provider....

On the phone this morning, asked again about breakdown cover. "Only covers Europe". What about outside Europe, e.g. Morocco? "Including Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Algeria and Egypt".....

So I am going to write to them requesting Plus Membership for myself for 1 year for €84....

Service@ADAC.DE

It does say on their website that you must be resident in Germany, I suppose that would be their way not to pay out.

Hi Myke,

Yep, flying to Malaga on 22/10 FR7044 dep 1005.

I will buy insurance at border, no green card forthcoming from Principal / Zenith.

How did you process joining ADAC ?

Bin
Will see you on the trip.
My friend phoned them on 0049 9415 2344 and spoke to Navid.
I spent 10 mins on hold to the same number, gave up and sent them the following email to: service@adac.de <service@adac.de
I am told it will take maybe a week to get a reply, so I am waiting as yet.
My friend got through on the phone and booked it there and then.

SUBJECT: Reise nach Marokko - Trip To Morocco
Ich heisse Myke Rocks,
Letsby Avenue,
Wessex,
Co. Down,
Nordirland, BT34???
Großbritannien.
Tel: 00447????????? (handy)

Ich gehe eine Motorradfahrt für 12 Tage nach Marokko im Oktober.
Ich verlange eine Pannenhilfe.
Mir wurde gesagt, dass, wenn ich ein Mitglied Ihrer Organisation werde, werde ich eine solche Versicherung haben.
(Plus)
Motorrad ist ein BMW R1200RT. Anmeldung VLZ ????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Myke Rocks,
Letsby Avenue,
Newry,
Wessex,
Northern Ireland, BT34???
United Kingdom.
Tel: 00447??????????? (Handy)

I am going on a motorcycle trip for 12 days to Morocco in October.
I require breakdown recovery.
I am told that if I become a member of your organisation, I will have such insurance.
(Plus cover?)
Motorcycle is a BMW R1200RT. Registration VLZ ????

M.F.G. Michael

Hi,
My first email mentioned the bike model and the trip dates. Reply by email was advice to look elsewhere.
Now, I have asked for ADAC PLUS membership and a copy of the Policy in English, plus bank details for payment of the €84 joining fee. Let's see!

For the cost of the insurance, you might be as well taking a chance. If things go pear shaped then get a local with a van to get you back to Tangier Med, push the bike on and call the cavalry when get to Spain? There's no shortage of Mercedes vans over there, usually stacked to the gun whales with locals!

In one Peter. That is the advice we were given when we went to Morocco in April with Skygod - Morocco is a small country and even if you are down the south you could get a local to stuff your bike into the back of a van and get you back up to Cueta or Tangier for about 200E. The chances of breaking down are probably pretty slim anyway - unless it is a BMW of course, oh hang on a minute! :D

Did you phone the Munich office that deals with membership, I phone up this number to renew my membership (089) 7676 6632 (they will connect you to someone who speaks English), they will take payment and issue you your membership number within 24 hours.

Phil.

Just got email in German, translated by Google as below. I will pay the dough and expect the docs by post!

Will be good to see the conditions etc.

Dear Mr. Boland,
Thank you for your message.
With the membership number 505xxxxxxxxxx we have registered an ADAC Plus membership as required.
The documents including the contribution calculation (in German language) can be found in
Shortly. We are also happy to send you information on the ADAC Plus membership by mail
In English.
Please use for the transfer of the contribution of 88.00 € (= contribution 84.00 € and admission fee
4,00 €) the following account of the ADAC:
Bavarian State Bank of Munich
IBAN:

Well not saying it is worthless, because if they are sending documents to Foreign addresses, they must realise they are breaking their own rules, also.

It does say on their website that you must be resident in Germany, I suppose that would be their way not to pay out....

It says you must be resident in Germany to use the links - not quiet the same thing as outlawing membership? Issuing membership in writing to an non German address strongly suggests that they have knowingly offered a contract to a "non resident" & are therefore happy with that.
I heard some years back that the AA @ this end of Europe were unhappy with being undercut by the "German AA" & put a bit of pressure on their Teutonic cousins?

I have read their documentation, and:

they say that only certain parts delivery service etc. is only available to German residents. The breakdown service is for anyone resident near enough anywhere in Europe.
However, I missed Scotboxer's post and only saw it when echoed by Lord Snooty.

I have to say: They are probably correct!

Since I have not yet handed over Shekels, I might consider this option!
Myke

Got more ADAC info by post, and coverage is for Europe + countries bordering Med.

The main info is all in German, and I am looking for a way to translate by OCR....

I decided to go ahead with the €88 for the year, to have peace of mind for vehicle recovery. Hopefully, will not arise.

Link to letters and Membership Plus outline in English:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cqzjchHjpaMEF4MWIzN181SU1QZTd6YmJVaVVFdk91S2RR/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cqzjchHjpaUlJRbVdPQmVSSFNXQmJsMl9pQUxldkpKLUxj/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cqzjchHjpaMUV2RkszdVhLM1dYMm1xZmk1ZDFVZVA3UXpn/view?usp=sharing

Back
Top Bottom