Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this the start of a new engine claim?

Whilst not wishing to decry the ability of the Techs. It would be fine if they were on the job from start to finish. I can well imagine a warranty engine rebuild will not be top of the list at a Dealer workshop. Normal pre-booked customer servicing and repairs would I believe take priority and the constant interruptions of people calling in and "Can you just?" Humans being humans this has potential to forget or rush something.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyZZR View Post
    Well, BMW have told the dealer to replace the engine casings. They want it for 10 days! I really don't want my engine pulled apart and put back together, who knows what could go wrong.... Anyone had it done yet?
    Had mine done 3 weeks ago, would have taken 2 days ,but for the tech noticing some bolts were different from a bike he had done the week or 2 before, discovered bmw had started using once use bolts,which had to come from Germany. Dealer not sure why this wasn't noticed when they ordered the casings. All in 4 days ,bike seems to be running very good

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Bollox
    In some dealers the head tech is far better than some at the factory
    If the factory techs are so good then why do brand new bikes come with inherent faults caused at assembly
    I'd sooner have the head tech at my local dealer build an engine properly from scratch - he's done a few hundred over his career and is a top lad with an eye for precision and will reject a brand individual part if it's not up to scratch and reorder another
    That is the exact problem ,some dealers will have shit hot mechanics who excel at building up motors and do it with a high level of dilligence in a spotless environment (I've been in engine and gearbox production facilities where they are built in clean rooms ).

Other dealers will stick someone on the job between other servicing and the job will progress as and when the new bits they find they need along the way turn up, more than likely they engine will be built up on a bench in the corner of a busy workshop and I know of one local dealer where they would always stick the car servicing sides apprentices on doing the bike stuff.

If the techie isn't 100% and the build conditions are not clinically clean using new parts when needed it doesn't bode well for a rebuilt engine and more importantly what warranty are BMW giving on theses engines if parts start to fail soon after rebuilds or outside the 2 year warranty period ?

My new one will be getting acf50'd from new and if the engine paint has problems they will not be building its internals into new casings, i would rather paint the bloody thing myself.

With regards to previous post regarding interuptions , out workshops brought out a rule that a mechanic once on a job is left alone until that job is finished or halted due to the need for parts after a couple of serious failures following staff being disturbed during a job and missing a safety critical problem

Replaced Engine Castings and Driveshaft

My 65-plate 1200GS went in 2wks ago to have the engine casing and driveshaft/hub replaced.

Picking it up on Fri, so will be able to see how it looks and run. Dealership has been very helpful and kept me regularly informed, but do have a bit of a worry, since as others said - hope it was all put together properly.

Cheers all for the heads up on the ACF50, my bike is new but will be getting acf50,ed as soon as it arrives, taking no chances.

Picked my bike up today.

In the end got a replacement engine, gearbox and drivetrain. Gearbox is the new 2016 one, what a noticeable difference - really smooth change over.

Will see now as I run it all in, but initial thoughts are good.

My RT was at the end of warranty, new engine, new FD, 600mile service and new 2 year warranty on replaced parts

Given the bores are in the cases do they fit new pistons or rings?
    Anyone know?
    Did you guys that got cases get new heads as well? if so were the heads internals swapped over.
    Did BMW give you a service receipt with a list of replaced parts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had a short block and they re-used the heads. For sure there was no mention of valves/springs etc. This being the case I can't imagine them replacing the valves etc if they're only doing the cases?

I'll dig out the receipt later.

Quote Originally Posted by patzx12 View Post
    Did BMW give you a service receipt with a list of replaced parts?
    On mine the receipt said 'Replacing short engine and ancillary items"

Thanks Mr Bean.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Bollox
    In some dealers the head tech is far better than some at the factory
    If the factory techs are so good then why do brand new bikes come with inherent faults caused at assembly
    I'd sooner have the head tech at my local dealer build an engine properly from scratch - he's done a few hundred over his career and is a top lad with an eye for precision and will reject a brand individual part if it's not up to scratch and reorder another
    Talking to a BMW salesman outside of work, he said good techs are as rare as hens teeth

More R1200 GS TE corrossion...

I have been advised by BMW that the Technicians within their approved Centre network and their Warranty Department accept that:

the corrosion to the cylinder heads is unacceptable and needs to be replaced by BMW
    the corrosion to the clutch cover is unacceptable and needs to be replaced by BMW
    the corrosion to swinging arm is unacceptable and needs to be replaced by BMW
    the corrosion to rear drive is unacceptable and needs to be replaced by BMW

but the corrosion to the engine cases is apparently acceptable and is my responsibility to replace.

The bike has has the 'All year Biker' treatment each autumn and is kept in a dehumidified garage. The fasteners have not suffered.

Any suggestions to how I may proceed or should this be my last BMW?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis the Menace View Post
    Talking to a BMW salesman outside of work, he said good techs are as rare as hens teeth
    Wait til you hear what the techs say about salesmen!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis the Menace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dog View Post
    Wait til you hear what the techs say about salesmen!
    Don’t I know it, Ian left Rainbow, then Shaun sold it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12