October Ride Magazine Article

True, however nobody ever buys a standard GS, to get a decent spec most folk go with an SE model that has a load of optional extra's and costs over £15.5k without luggage, the Ducati Multistrada starts at £13,500 in Poverty Spec, and £16,500 for the S Model.

The KTM offers reasonable value alongside these at just over £14k for the 1290S in basic trim - but that includes Electronically adjustable semi-active suspension (Good quality WP stuff) cruise control and an amazingly good lean sensitive ABS and TC system plus a full colour TFT screen.

The S10 lacks a lot of the top features / options so hard to compare against these premium bikes and Yamaha really should admit it is no longer a direct competitor to the BMW / KTM / Ducati offerings and price it for what it is and sell it on the basis it has not got a million expensive gizmo's waiting to go wrong or a highly strung superbike engine waiting to blow up.
I'm in Ireland and the price of a Tenere ZE model is just shy of €19,000 and at the very least, luggage and a proper skid plate has to be added.

That's very, very similar to GS money (not the adventure)

I'm not knocking the Tenere...... I actually want one as my next bike.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Hi i wasnt crabbing the gs i was just sick of all the issues i had with my last two lc s,if they can get back to building good quality bike i would have one tommorow:bounce1:rob

I second tha:thumbt, love my S10. Its fine for people who have had no issues with their GSs to be snooty about it, but having had issues with my LC sometimes you have to cut and run.

i wonder what how the % losses compare on these large adventure bikes, is it just my perception the BMW has a better resale value, or is that just because it costs a lot more in the first place.

It isnt a BMW, therefore does not come with the kudos or X Factor.

I don't regard any GS as having kudos or X-Factor. While not ashamed of owning a BMW bike, it's not something I openly shout about - I expect shite from other bikers, and I couldn't be arsed listening to their shite.

While I think the 1150GS is a fantastic bike, BMW bikes are regarded - by bikers I know - as a wannabe's bike: a bike that wealthy car drivers buy as a weekend toy.

The longest ownership of any bike I've had was a 1988 FJ1200 - 5 years. I loved it, not least cos it was trouble-free.

BMW = twat-factor, not x-factor. :rolleyes: :augie

S10 is definitely more appealing to me than 1200GS or Africa Twin. I do fancy the KTM 1050 Adventure, but it's a chain drive. And Versys & V-Strom don't tick the do-it-all box that the others do.

So the S10 is really the only bike I'd consider as a replacement for my 1150GS. If that expires I hope there'll be a couple of decent S10s out there...

IIRC, that RiDE article finished off by saying something like the S10 is the prestige bike among the ubiquitous 1200GS. That's how I'd see it too - the S10 is the X-Factor bike, not the 1200GS...

I don't regard any GS as having kudos or X-Factor. While not ashamed of owning a BMW bike, it's not something I openly shout about - I expect shite from other bikers, and I couldn't be arsed listening to their shite.

While I think the 1150GS is a fantastic bike, BMW bikes are regarded - by bikers I know - as a wannabe's bike: a bike that wealthy car drivers buy as a weekend toy.

The longest ownership of any bike I've had was a 1988 FJ1200 - 5 years. I loved it, not least cos it was trouble-free.

BMW = twat-factor, not x-factor. :rolleyes: :augie

S10 is definitely more appealing to me than 1200GS or Africa Twin. I do fancy the KTM 1050 Adventure, but it's a chain drive. And Versys & V-Strom don't tick the do-it-all box that the others do.

So the S10 is really the only bike I'd consider as a replacement for my 1150GS. If that expires I hope there'll be a couple of decent S10s out there...

IIRC, that RiDE article finished off by saying something like the S10 is the prestige bike among the ubiquitous 1200GS. That's how I'd see it too - the S10 is the X-Factor bike, not the 1200GS...

Oh bore off.

Back
Top Bottom