No. It's definitely crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has used Garmin devices and software for 15 years I obviously have a different view than that of someone coming to Garmin from using TomTom. I know that both can work well but to get the best out of either system the user does have to learn a good deal. TomTom may be easier to learn but I find that is mainly because they are less adaptable than Garmin so have fewer set up options that could lead to problems if those options are not understood.

So, for me, my 390 is not "over complicated" it just has a range of set up options that allows me to end up with the sort of Sat Nav I find useful. In fact I could wish for a few more, avoiding narrow gravel strewn lanes would be good. I'd gladly swap that for the "curvy roads" nonsense!, but others might feel differently Again, for me, Basecamp is I agree,over complicated, and nowhere near as easy to use as Mapsource so I happily carry on with that system. I find Mapsource at least as easy to use as any of the non Garmin systems I have seen and has the advantages of using the same maps as on my devices and does not require an internet connection.

The fact is that most "problems" we experience with these devices are actually down the the dumb thing just doing what its owner (however inadvertently) has asked. There are exceptions, of course, software glitches are not unknown although they are usually fixed by subsequent updates and faulty units are always a possibility. I have always found that the acceptance of "operator malfunction" as a likely cause is the first step towards solving the problem whereas calling it "shite" solves nothing.

John

So you don't have a Nav 6 then?

Well spotted! My comments still apply - operator malfunction is the most common SatNav problem for all of us, myself included.

John

But several us have "upgraded" to the 6 from the 5, knowing exactly how to use the previous device, then running into problems on the 6 when trying to use it in exactly the same way.

The user error comments are a bit daft.

But several us have "upgraded" to the 6 from the 5, knowing exactly how to use the previous device, then running into problems on the 6 when trying to use it in exactly the same way.

What is daft is taking my general comments as the only answer to those of you having problems with the 6. Although your comment about using your new device in exactly the same way as as previous versions might just hold a clue to your problem! Just maybe your new toy requires something different?

John

What is daft is taking my general comments as the only answer to those of you having problems with the 6. Although your comment about using your new device in exactly the same way as as previous versions might just hold a clue to your problem! Just maybe your new toy requires something different?

John

That wasn't aimed completely at you, but several have said "user error". I'm surprised Wapping hasn't chimed in yet.:rolleyes:

To blame user error, when you haven't used the device to know what we're talking about is daft, however.:pullface

As there are no new settings on the 6 over the 5, when it comes to route preferences, I'd like to know what we should be doing differently, to avoid all this bollocks.:nenau

If you want to use it in EXACTLY the same way why not stick with NAV5?

On the basis that there are reports of Nav vi being unreliable and my Nav v does everything I want, except communicate with my Virb camera I will be sticking with it for a bit longer. From my own experience I have generally found Garmin to be intuitive unlike the Tom Tom.

If I was so dissatisfied with something costing as much as this I'd be at the retailer tying to return it and get my money back.

If I said I upgraded from a surface pro to a MacBook Air and ran into problems trying to use it in exactly the same way, I'd be called daft.

This thread is inviting 'user error' comments due to the opening gambit saying the devices added 2 hours to a 150 mile journey - I'm not a 6 user and I don't have to be to know that a cluster fuck that big does not happen by machine alone - user error, lack of user intervention call it what you like there will be a 'user' bit in there somewhere

I tried an experiment with my Nav6 this week. I changed the icon from motorbike to car and selected curvey roads. The destination was about 50 miles away. I deliberately chose a destination and area that I know well so that I could make a fair assessment of the sat nav's efficiency and practicality. The route to my destination that the nav calculated was a good one which I would have been hard pushed to better. It avoided major roads wherever possible and selected nice country A&B roads.
For my return journey I changed the icon back to motorbike The route it took me on was completely different and rubbish. It took me along single track farm roads, through a major town and was 8miles longer.
I always assumed that the icon was just that and did not have any influence on route calculation :nenau
Maybe this is where the problem lies within the algorithms?
Try doing the same thing and see if we start getting the same results. Nice excuse for a ride out on a sunny day too:cool:

I was also thinking about upgrading to a VI. But it does seem something is different from how the V works. Hopefully Garmin and BMW will issue a software update if enough people complain. I do find it hard to understand how they have screwed it up.

Ton Tom sat navs are so much more user friendly..went away to the Alps with a group, we used a few routes downloaded from Ride magazine, the Tom Toms followed the routes with no issues the 2 garmins were a waste of time

Ton Tom sat navs are so much more user friendly..went away to the Alps with a group, we used a few routes downloaded from Ride magazine, the Tom Toms followed the routes with no issues the 2 garmins were a waste of time

When I looked at the Ride routes some time ago I found they needed a bit of work to make them usable on a Garmin. I've just had a look and the one I downloaded appears better (appart from some dubious routing in a part of the world I know very well) but still has loads of waypoints rather than via points which is asking for trouble.

I have downloaded routes thousands of times to both Garmin and TomTom. It was part of my job for many years, I often handled multiple devices each morning to set our hotel guests off on some fabulous routes. Provided the devices are correctly set up there is no problem using sensibly created routes. I used both Basecamp and Mapsource for Garmins, Tyre and ITN converter for Tom Tom. Trying to use the same system for both is a recipe for disaster.

John

I tried an experiment with my Nav6 this week. I changed the icon from motorbike to car and selected curvey roads. The destination was about 50 miles away. I deliberately chose a destination and area that I know well so that I could make a fair assessment of the sat nav's efficiency and practicality. The route to my destination that the nav calculated was a good one which I would have been hard pushed to better. It avoided major roads wherever possible and selected nice country A&B roads.
For my return journey I changed the icon back to motorbike The route it took me on was completely different and rubbish. It took me along single track farm roads, through a major town and was 8miles longer.
I always assumed that the icon was just that and did not have any influence on route calculation :nenau
Maybe this is where the problem lies within the algorithms?
Try doing the same thing and see if we start getting the same results. Nice excuse for a ride out on a sunny day too:cool:

Interesting, my Zumo 660 behaves in a similar way, no scurvy road option but when the vehicle is changed to motorcycle it goes all over the place, consequently I always keep it in 'Car' mode..

My experience is the opposite of that!
After a six bike trip to the French Normandy sites + Ardennes , the Tom Tom owner returned his to the store and purchased a Garmin.

I was also thinking about upgrading to a VI. But it does seem something is different from how the V works..

Is there any evidence for that ? I'm not so sure.

There is one loud guy on here (hubcap) complaining like crazy. Oh and Nutty dislikes his Nav6, but then he doesn't have any credibility with GPS kit because he was up to his neck in problems long before the Nav 6 came along.

I'll be convinced, only if others provide their thoughts...... until then, I think it's the usual forum imbeciles, who don't put the work in to understand their new Nav 6 or indeed base camp.

Interesting, my Zumo 660 behaves in a similar way, no scurvy road option but when the vehicle is changed to motorcycle it goes all over the place, consequently I always keep it in 'Car' mode..

Same with my 390, I tried to set the motorcyle mode to the same as the car one but still it creates crappy routes. I just leave it in car mode now.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom